Join Early Retirement Today

SCOTUS rules states can collect sales tax on Internet purchases
Old 06-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
Administrator

SCOTUS rules states can collect sales tax on Internet purchases

Well, I just saw this on SCOTUSblog
We need details, but it sure looks like end of the days of no sales tax on internet purchases may be in sight.

Edit to add - from the WSJ (paywall) https://www.wsj.com/articles/us-supr...d=hp_lead_pos2
Quote:
The court, in a 5-4 decision written by Justice Anthony Kennedy, ruled that states can require internet merchants to collect the taxes even if the merchant has no physical presence in the state.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No sales tax? I always pay my online purchases on my state return.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I always pay my online purchases on my state return.
I have done so on every state return I've ever fled filed.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
No sales tax? I always pay my online purchases on my state return.
Me, too, but I'll admit I don't keep good records of every online purchase. I estimate the amount and pay tax on that (which, I would guess, is more than most people do, FWIW).
If all online merchants collect state sales taxes, it will make things less complicated for me. If we get into a situation where some do it and some don't, that will be messy.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Texas---Hmmmph!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Me, too, but I'll admit I don't keep good records of every online purchase. I estimate the amount and pay tax on that (which, I would guess, is more than most people do, FWIW).
If all online merchants collect state sales taxes, it will make things less complicated for me. If we get into a situation where some do it and some don't, that will be messy.
I estimate too. I make so few non-Amazon (who collects for my state) that it is easy to estimate.

Of course, most of my friends are proud to tell me how stupid I am. These are fine, upstanding people. Why they think avoiding sales tax is so awesome astounds me. And many of them work for state government!!!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It goes even deeper than that:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-...-transactions/

Quote:
The idea of online taxes for a long time was limited to companies who had a physical presence in that state. Recently that has been expanding with States pushing to get sales taxes on sales even when the company does not have a physical presence in that area. Recently that has broadened to taxes on services like Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm curious about provisions for small online retailers. If there are none, this is a boon for the companies big enough (economy of scale) to handle possibly 50 different state remission approaches.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I'm curious about provisions for small online retailers. If there are none, this is a boon for the companies big enough (economy of scale) to handle possibly 50 different state remission approaches.
What it may be a boon for is online retail tax software companies like these:

https://www.accuratetax.com/
https://www.zip2tax.com/
Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #10

If only it were 50... there are something like 16000 different sales jurisdictions in the US (not just states, but some counties and cities).

And online sellers need to register, and then file (on different schedules with different jurisdictions). Some of these require you to file every period even if you have zero to collect. Oh, and of course, state DoR's have crappy websites already, very manual and old-school setups to begin with.

So, let's say you have a small website and do a few hundred a month in sales - there's no way you can do that yourself. Just filing for my state once a quarter is about an hours work.

Unless there is some centralized nationwide portal that does this for a VERY small fee (there isn't), it shuts down the viability of many small online retailers being able to continue. Or continue, and pay fees, and pass that onto the consumer.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
Texas---Hmmmph!

But there IS a form for that... even for Texas....

https://legal-forms.laws.com/texas/s...use-tax-return
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Avalara just went public a few days ago (IIRC) and they are up 25% just after the announcement...
Old 06-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Unless there is some centralized nationwide portal that does this for a VERY small fee (there isn't), it shuts down the viability of many small online retailers being able to continue. Or continue, and pay fees, and pass that onto the consumer.
I think there will likely be several soon. Now that there is going to be a wide demand for the service/function, there will be businesses there to fill it. Having some companies that deal with the thousands of taxing authorities and effectively build a way to pay them makes a LOT more sense (and is much more efficient) than having every small online retailer do the same.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If only it were 50... there are something like 16000 different sales jurisdictions in the US (not just states, but some counties and cities).

And online sellers need to register, and then file (on different schedules with different jurisdictions). Some of these require you to file every period even if you have zero to collect. Oh, and of course, state DoR's have crappy websites already, very manual and old-school setups to begin with.

So, let's say you have a small website and do a few hundred a month in sales - there's no way you can do that yourself. Just filing for my state once a quarter is about an hours work.

I really doubt that the states are gong to go after the small online retailer that sells a few hundred here and there.... they want the big fish... Amazon... and anybody that uses Amazon as a platform...

It might even be Ebay since they have the ability to collect taxes for their users....
Old 06-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
I was thinking that too but the news reports describe the SC decision applying to states. There is no mention of other jurisdictions. Of course this may simply reflect a lack of detail in the news reports.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Or, the smaller vendors will continue to do what they're doing -- selling without collecting tax -- on the assumption that sales taxing authorities lack the power to go after them.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

As much as I don't like it, it's only fair.

In my neck of the woods sales tax is in the area of 10%. So when buying expensive stuff (new TV, mobile phone, appliances, etc.) this is a huge incentive to buy online and 'save' the sales tax, that gives a significant advantage to the out of state companies. (Note: yes, I know people should declare the purchase pay that tax later.) Not so good.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I really doubt that the states are gong to go after the small online retailer that sells a few hundred here and there.... they want the big fish... Amazon... and anybody that uses Amazon as a platform...

It might even be Ebay since they have the ability to collect taxes for their users....
and don't forget about Walmart, they have third party sellers as well.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
The states are not the problem.
Some (many?) states allow local taxation.
Colorado, where I live, is mind boggling.
I have Colorado, Denver, RTD (bus/rail), Stadium, SCD (Zoo, museums).
Colorado does not tax food, but does tax candy. But, a KitKat bar is not candy while a Milky Way is.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #20

Quote:
I think there will likely be several soon. Now that there is going to be a wide demand for the service/function, there will be businesses there to fill it. Having some companies that deal with the thousands of taxing authorities and effectively build a way to pay them makes a LOT more sense (and is much more efficient) than having every small online retailer do the same.
True. But whether they do it themselves or pay another company, it still may be cost prohibitive for small sellers. All the recent proposed legislation I've seen exempts small businesses and also requires states to simplify and standardize their collection processes. With this SCOTUS decision, Congress needs to pass some appropriate legislation or this could be a disaster for small online businesses.