Join Early Retirement Today

Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan 2018?
Old 11-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan 2018?

I'm trying to play with H&R Block software for the first time (previous years using accountant) and when it comes to filling out the info from a 1095-A form it wants SLCSP.

Is there somewhere I can get this information for 2018?

In my yearly analysis of determining what plan to purchase I capture different levels information in a spreadsheet. I have it for a Silver plan I was considering last year for 2018, but it may not be the SLCSP that is reported on the 1095-A.

SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReady View Post
I'm trying to play with H&R Block software for the first time (previous years using accountant) and when it comes to filling out the info from a 1095-A form it wants SLCSP.

In my yearly analysis of determining what plan to purchase I capture different levels information in a spreadsheet. I have it for a Silver plan I was considering last year for 2018, but it may not be the SLCSP that is reported on the 1095-A.
You have to go onto Healthcare.gov and go through the motions of doing the "affordability" section. They will ask where you live and as you go through the prompts and answer the questions they will give you the answer.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:

I ran into the same thing yesterday when doing my practice tax run. I had to pretend I was a year younger and go through the washington health site. Not sure if I got the right number.

Why they make this stuff so convoluted is beyond me.
RetireAge50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:

Go here - https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/#?year=2018

Fill it out with the same info you used on your 2018 application. When you get to the list of plans use the REFINE RESULTS to choose only SILVER plans. You'll be able to see the Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan in the results.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Great! That seems to work!

Thanks!
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #6

I ran into this problem the first year I was on ACA. Ever since then, when I shop for my "real" plan (bronze), I print out the second lowest cost silver and put that in my files so I have it for my pro-forma tax return in December. I'm not sure that the healthcare.gov site could actually be coaxed into giving you that information in years past. Obviously, it was available if you went in before open enrollment, but after that, it seemed impossible to get.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I ran into this problem the first year I was on ACA. Ever since then, when I shop for my "real" plan (bronze), I print out the second lowest cost silver and put that in my files so I have it for my pro-forma tax return in December. I'm not sure that the healthcare.gov site could actually be coaxed into giving you that information in years past. Obviously, it was available if you went in before open enrollment, but after that, it seemed impossible to get.
You can get prior years by using HealthSherpa.com. Fill out for current year and then there's a drop down to change to 2018 plans. Just be sure to update ages for you and your spouse.

If you need for years even further back (2015-2017) you can just edit the URL. Once you have 2018 or 2019 selected from above, go to the URL and make the necessary edits to change the year and also ages of you and your spouse (so total of 3 changes). I checked for 2017 and 2016 and SLCSP agreed to my 1095-A form.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #8

That's good info. Things are getting easier as the system gets more years under it's belt.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:22 AM   #9

There's also this link, which seems to be the intended way to get SLCSP if you're on healthcare.gov:

https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/...redit/tax-year

It hasn't been updated for 2018 yet though.

I don't know if it's right for earlier years as my state has their own exchange and own tax tool (which has been a glorified Excel spreadsheet in the past).

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote