Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The paid off peace of mind works for me. However, I can see the other side of the coin too. At these historically low rates, there is opportunity. I can see why some people will carry a mortgage. Perhaps the positive calculations of opportunity cost of money give people a certain peace of mind too. That's fine. Just doesn't work for me.
Rates are expensive compared to CD rates that one can get.

Unless you plan to stay in house for 30 years (length of loan), which while wise thing to do...most people will not do.

I vote for pay of house ASAP.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm dumb and happy. My goal was to pay off my mortgage early first -- before I even thought of ER. Did so, and that's when my retirement savings went into hyperdrive.

It wasn't all numbers. It was also peace of mind.
Same here. I paid down my mortgage in 1997 and 1998, taking some of the stock market's gains off the table as the interest rate on my 1-year ARM was rising.

This was a key step in greatly reducing my expenses so when I reduced my weekly hours worked in 2001 by nearly 50% it was not a big deal to cover those smaller expenses. That led to starting up my plans to ER.

My personal savings rate from 1998 to 2001 was huge, as my wage income was at its peak while my expenses were nice and low.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I paid off the mortgage awhile back. For me, it's the peace of mind knowing I own the roof over my head without any payments.

There is this Sunday morning radio program with the host saying to not pay off the mortgage as the freedom isn't really that free. For example, even with a paid off mortgage, there'd still be other home ownership expenses anyhow (taxes, repairs), so it's better to invest that money.

Still for me, I like knowing a mortgage payment is just one thing I don't have to worry about.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Assuming Moss structured his research questions correctly, I see no reason to argue with his results - in general. But we know it's all about the individual. Anyone reading his book is free to pick "one from column A and 2 from column B." No surprise that "most" of his respondents felt best about paying off the mortgage and having lots of hobbies and three sources of income. But as individuals, we don't all fit into his averages on every point. No surprise since YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We just run the numbers on everything. I have no emotional attachment to having a mortgage or not. We just key off maximizing net worth and after tax income with considerations for asset protection. In some states personal residences have a high degree of asset protection and in some states they do not.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

WE paid off our home before we retired. Also we can Homestead and protect the house from creditors, being sued, etc. I don't think many states have that anymore. Our property taxes are low and we certainly could not rent for what it costs us to live here. I think everyone has to look at their own situation to make the right choice. There is never one choice fits all.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I view the pay off the mortgage discussion much the same I way I view the Dave Ramsey approach of paying of small debts first regardless of interest rate.

They are both focused on the psychology of the situation. If it were simply a matter of focusing on the cold hard numbers, almost everyone would be out of debt - and retiring early. But most people just don't work that way.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm dumb and happy. My goal was to pay off my mortgage early first -- before I even thought of ER. Did so, and that's when my retirement savings went into hyperdrive.

It wasn't all numbers. It was also peace of mind.

When it comes to the primary residence, another factor is "frequency of moving." Moving is not only costly, it tends to reset everything, including the mortgage treadmill. But I digress.

Mort - gage
Death - measure

Joe, "Dumb and happy since 2000"
+1. There are some things even more important than crunching the #s and saving some quid. No bank able to foreclose, and killing off that seemingly endless monthly payment, greatly outweighed the modest savings. It was, well, priceless.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm happy just putzing around in retirement
Since I have been called a putz, does that mean I'm successful?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I do kinda take issue with that as I'm happy just putzing around in retirement
I'm doing well at that too. Framed up a couple of pictures that will make some people smile. That's worth doing and works for me.

Putzing is good.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
From the article:

That's his top advice? Dumb. This is another book I won't need to read.
+1 I refinanced at 3.375% in early 2012 just before I retired (but after I stopped working - I was "on vacation"). Since then my portfolio has averaged a 14.7% annual return so I'm ahead 11.3% a year. Since I retired my portfolio has increased more than my entire mortgage and that is after withdrawals for living expenses.

I realize that living in retirement with a mortgage is not for everyone and that's fine, but so far it has worked out great for me. My comfort is I could write a check and lay off my mortgage at any time I chose to.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Wes (the books author) has a radio show here in Atlanta and is a fee only FA. I was curious about the book and his research so I bought it. I read about a third of it and grew quite bored. I give it an overwhelming 'meh'

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

We moved 2+ years ago and instead of buying our house with cash (previous home paid off) we took out a $400k 15 year loan at 3%. I used that to purchase 5 rental properties that are now earning over 9% cash flow. We get the advantage of being able to write off the mortgage interest as well and when we retire in 2+ years we will use the rental income as our primary income source.

I do play with the numbers to see if it makes sense to pay off the mortgage when we retire but every calculator says we are better off with the rental properties.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 I refinanced at 3.375% in early 2012 just before I retired (but after I stopped working - I was "on vacation"). Since then my portfolio has averaged a 14.7% annual return so I'm ahead 11.3% a year. Since I retired my portfolio has increased more than my entire mortgage and that is after withdrawals for living expenses.

I realize that living in retirement with a mortgage is not for everyone and that's fine, but so far it has worked out great for me. My comfort is I could write a check and lay off my mortgage at any time I chose to.
But you are comparing apples with oranges. How much would you earn if you put your money into CDs which CAN be compared to mortgage. You would loose money

Hindsight 20/20.....
Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
But you are comparing apples with oranges. How much would you earn if you put your money into CDs which CAN be compared to mortgage. You would loose money

Hindsight 20/20.....
I'll agree to disagree with you on this one. Nothing says that I have to compare what I earn to CDs. In fact, if that was my only investment alternative with the proceeds I would not have refinanced.

I'm simply utilizing my good credit rating and home equity collateral that would otherwise just be sitting there earning nothing and using leverage to earn a spread. I'm accepting some duration mismatch risk for potential rewards, which have been quite positive so far and is a historically good bet. Since my mortgage was only about 10% of my portfolio at the time, I wasn't betting the farm, but making a simple side bet.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Hindsight 20/20.....
I agree, you need to compare investments with the same risk.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I spend most of my day putzing. When DW worked, she claimed I was a slacker that got nothing done. Now she's retired and sees just how time consuming putzing is.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'll agree to disagree with you on this one. Nothing says that I have to compare what I earn to CDs. In fact, if that was my only investment alternative with the proceeds I would not have refinanced.

I'm simply utilizing my good credit rating and home equity collateral that would otherwise just be sitting there earning nothing and using leverage to earn a spread. I'm accepting some duration mismatch risk for potential rewards, which have been quite positive so far and is a historically good bet. Since my mortgage was only about 10% of my portfolio at the time, I wasn't betting the farm, but making a simple side bet.
So for those of us who have paid off houses and good credit (many people here) you recommend us to mortgage out our houses and invest money into equities?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So for those of us who have paid off houses and good credit (many people here) you recommend us to mortgage out our houses and invest money into equities?

Your posting question exposes my conflicting attitudes and thoughts. When I refinanced several years ago, I did not have the assets to pay off my house. Now that I can, I will not do so. But if it were paid off, I would never consider taking equity out of my house to invest in equities. You could make the case it is the same scenario, minus any transaction costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're renting right now but looking to buy. If/when we do buy it will be a cash deal. I've run the numbers both ways; rent vs own free-and-clear. For us, owning, even tho it reduces our portfolio balance, reduces our living expenses substantially which in turn reduces our withdrawal rate which in turn increases the survivability of our portfolio. YMMV
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote