Join Early Retirement Today

Secrets of Early Retirement
Old 07-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Secrets of Early Retirement

USAToday: Wes Moss reveals the secrets of happy retirement

Having a paid off house and income streams seem like the way to go. Now I have to figure where to settle down.
Neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neecy View Post
USAToday: Wes Moss reveals the secrets of happy retirement

Having a paid off house and income streams seem like the way to go. Now I have to figure where to settle down.
It's generally where you have the paid off house for starters.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From the article:
Quote:
Q: In the book there are 18 habits of happy retirees. Can you narrow your book down to three pieces of advice?

A: No. 1 is financial. Tackle your mortgage. It's such a critical component to all this. Happiness rises as years to pay off mortgage go down. Thus, tackling of the mortgage is really critical.
That's his top advice? Dumb. This is another book I won't need to read.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neecy View Post
Having an income stream that is sufficient to support your intended way of life is generally the way to go. That way of life may or may not include a paid-off house - it depends what you want in retirement.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

yep own vs. rent has far too many variables for an edict like that
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #6

Actually, my take away is this :

"Q: So, who are the happy retirees?

A: Those are the people who retire earlier, at an earlier age and an earlier date than most people in America."

Ha! I knew it!
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It is too simplistic to just say pay off the mortgage, especially if you have a low interest, fixed rate mortgage rate and can make a higher after tax return elsewhere. Or a paid off house may not be the optimal use of your money if you live in a market where renting and investing has a higher ROI.

If houses cost $1M where you live but you could rent a nice house for $500 a month most people would go with renting.

In the last ten years many of our neighbors who bought at the peak have not even seen their houses keep up with inflation, especially after factoring in taxes, insurance and repairs.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 AM   #8

The author said some things of value and some things where your milage may (and probably does) vary.

For me, paying off the mortgage was much like own v rent. Given how low interest rates are out here, we decided not to pay off our home mortgage (costing around 1% pa) and keep the money invested elswehere.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #9

I paid off my mortgage and got a large Home Equity line. I can use it when I want or need it. I the past, I have used a smaller one for purchasing properties for cash.

The mortgage payoff saves ~$1400. That is quite of a savings, it can basically fund my 401K - even though I already find my to the max.

Most families spend ~30% of their income on housing. Paying off the mortgage is a large 'raise', and give a huge piece of mind.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Our retirement happiness came from understanding that it comes from maximizing the life we can afford, and not what others think.

Fifty six years of marriage and twenty five years of retirement, and money has never been a source of contention or unhappiness.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'm dumb and happy. My goal was to pay off my mortgage early first -- before I even thought of ER. Did so, and that's when my retirement savings went into hyperdrive.

It wasn't all numbers. It was also peace of mind.

When it comes to the primary residence, another factor is "frequency of moving." Moving is not only costly, it tends to reset everything, including the mortgage treadmill. But I digress.

Mort - gage
Death - measure

Joe, "Dumb and happy since 2000"
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have no problem with numbers 1 or 2. But with number 3....

Quote:
No. 3 is very important. Busier retirees are happier
I do kinda take issue with that as I'm happy just putzing around in retirement
Old 07-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Those income streams sound appealing, where do I sign up?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I think people, especially youngsters writing about retirement, seriously underestimate all that is needed to "just putz around". This is a serious and meaningful endeavor and deserves much more respect.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Having an income stream that is sufficient to support your intended way of life is generally the way to go. That way of life may or may not include a paid-off house - it depends what you want in retirement.

That is the sole reason I am retired....and yes the monthly mortgage payment will be occurring for 20 more years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I have no problem with numbers 1 or 2. But with number 3....

I will tell my GF when she returns from work what all I have completed during the day and her usual remark is... "So basically you did nothing".

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I will tell my GF when she returns from work what all I have completed during the day and her usual remark is... "So basically you did nothing".
Funny, when i was w*rking, at the end of the day I generally came to the same conclusion.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

You could always say as a comeback "at least I didn't do anything wrong or manage to break anything".

On the paid off house comments. Yes it's cheaper to rent, and renting comes with risks and possible opportunity loss, but a paid off house has, in my opinion, some peace of mind and stability. Those are characteristics that can't easily be quantified.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think people, especially youngsters writing about retirement, seriously underestimate all that is needed to "just putz around". This is a serious and meaningful endeavor and deserves much more respect.
I've got a brother who's also retired and on his social media, he's always posting about where he went out the eat, his fishing adventures, or hiking on a trail and looking and fancy fast cars. He's truly trying to enjoy the moment.

But when I see all the posts I think "that poor soul" ... I'm happy with my putzing.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You could always say as a comeback "at least I didn't do anything wrong or manage to break anything".

On the paid off house comments. Yes it's cheaper to rent, and renting comes with risks and possible opportunity loss, but a paid off house has, in my opinion, some peace of mind and stability. Those are characteristics that can't easily be quantified.
The paid off peace of mind works for me. However, I can see the other side of the coin too. At these historically low rates, there is opportunity. I can see why some people will carry a mortgage. Perhaps the positive calculations of opportunity cost of money give people a certain peace of mind too. That's fine. Just doesn't work for me.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote