Join Early Retirement Today

Secrets of Extreme Savers
Old 07-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Secrets of Extreme Savers

You could put my picture in there. I'd rank with the best of them. Decades of living way below your means pays off in spades.

Yet I don't feel deprived at all.

Secrets of extreme savers - Avoid debt (1) - Money Magazine

I would characterize myself as a pretty extreme saver but just an average investor.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #2

So what's your savings rate?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I just looked at the first six months of 2010 in Quicken and it looks like our savings rates (deposits into savings accounts, investment accounts and HSA) was 44% of our after-tax income (and about 50% if employer matches are included). We could easily crank it up to over 60% by cutting back if we really wanted to, but I don't feel like totally depriving ourselves of stuff and activities that add significant pleasure in our lives.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Over the past 12 months, our savings rate was 73% of after tax income.

I consider myself a good saver and a lucky investor.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Same here, but at one time I had a pretty high savings rate. All I can do now is control the outflow.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Administrator

You're so right, MB. At some point I think it is a lot easier to save money than to try to earn a lot more or to invest aggressively. This is a way of tackling the retirement dilemma from both ends - - building the nestegg, and minimizing the expenses to which one is accustomed.

When one is in their 50's like this couple, and presumably "on the home stretch" so to speak, taking the chances a 20-year-old might take at investing is not smart. When retirement is drawing near, many people move to a more conservative AA.

In a sense, I was lucky. My divorce left me with virtually nothing but debt at age 50 so I HAD to be a saver. I learned to live on less because I wanted to retire and the numbers told me that was what I needed to do. Then I got used to it and like you, did not feel deprived. I just felt determined.

Now, I can spend more. Delayed gratification is the best!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I just looked at the first six months of 2010 in Quicken and it looks like our savings rates (deposits into savings accounts, investment accounts and HSA) was 44% of our after-tax income (and about 50% if employer matches are included). We could easily crank it up to over 60% by cutting back if we really wanted to, but I don't feel like totally depriving ourselves of stuff and activities that add significant pleasure in our lives.
The last few years of w*rk, savings rate was ~50%. Now it's quite low. I am kinda sorta working on rebuilding the slush fund after the 2007 car purchase.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
You could put my picture in there. I'd rank with the best of them. Decades of living way below your means pays off in spades.

Yet I don't feel deprived at all.

I would characterize myself as a pretty extreme saver but just an average investor.
I guess we would be in the extreme savers category too (gosh I feel like I should win a prize! ).

We save 150% of our after tax income. Yes, the rate is higher than 100% because much of our savings come out pre-tax.

Our savings rate as a percent of gross income is around 65%.

Taxes (mostly payroll taxes) are conservatively estimated at 11% of gross and our spending is around 24% of gross.

We buy new stuff, go on vacations, own a decent single family house, have two cars and two kids. We think we live fairly normally but we are obviously freaks when it comes to spending up to or in excess of our means. I guess you could say we are "spending" our money on buying ER.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
All I can do now is control the outflow.
I use a sponge.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

When I worked I usually saved about 50-60% of my after tax income from my job. That is the main reason I was able to retire at age 53 since my investment returns were never that high...the highest annual investment return I ever had was about 13%. I think that qualifies me as an extreme saver back when I was working.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #12

We "save" about 45% of our net income, but some of that goes into the "big ticket items" pot. Only about 35% goes into the retirement fund. I'd like to do better, but we have two kids in college right now, so that's 30K/year pushed to one side for now.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #13

I read that article and noticed a few military officers and a few high income earners (well, what I consider high income).

I don't think I save much of my take home. I do put 18% into my 401K, but that's pretax.

I don't know how you folks manage to save so much. Maybe its a regional thing? I live in the northeast and things are expensive! Housing, transportation, utilities, daycare, gas, insurance, etc.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #14

Quicken says that my total savings divided by my total income is about 46.5%, so I guess I save about that percentage of my before-tax income. If I subtract taxes from income, the percentage turns out to be about 56.1%.

Meh.

@Bimmerbill, it helps to have a reasonably high income and live in fly-over country.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I don't know how you folks manage to save so much. Maybe its a regional thing? I live in the northeast and things are expensive! Housing, transportation, utilities, daycare, gas, insurance, etc.
No debt, no mortgage, low cost of living where I am. It helps that I had a Silicon Valley salary transferred to Texas a few years ago; the difference in cost of living probably made it like a 40-50% raise.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I guess we would be in the extreme savers category too (gosh I feel like I should win a prize! ).
here's your prize (you choose which one you like):

actually the real prize is freedom from financial stress and being able to live the life that you choose.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
actually the real prize is freedom from financial stress and being able to live the life that you choose.
That is prize enough.

We are already at the point where we are free from financial stress (as to our own finances anyway). Even at the worst point in the 2008-2009 market crash, when I told DW that we lost almost $200,000 in our investment accounts, neither one of us were too stressed out, since we knew we still had many years of expenses "in the bank" and we can easily live comfortably on unemployment if we both became unemployed simultaneously. Life is good!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

The ER plan for me is mostly driven by a high savings rate. 61% pre-tax (gross), or about 81.5% of post-tax. For simplicity, I count the year or two of paying off school tuition debt as savings. Investment returns will mostly only matter during ER (especially the 10 years right after ER starts, but I could work part-time fairly easily if the market is looking like the Great Depression II around then).
Old 07-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post

It helps to receive a California-indexed compensation while living in the deep south.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #20

Yeah, I wished I was getting paid the COL adjustment for Boston and living in the south, but I gotta live in the Boston area! On the plus side, I can retire and take my Boston based pension with me to lower cost of living areas.

Tho, I am doing fine on my salary. If I had a spouse that was making good money we could bank that.

How many of you saving 50% are single earners?