Join Early Retirement Today

Sector Investing
Old 05-18-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sector Investing

Most experts advise against sector fund investing. They call it speculation. I think it is okay to invest up to 5% of your portfolio for sector play. My current choice would be health care, consumer staples, and energy (or utilities). These are available from Vangaurd Vipers. Any opinion?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Sector Investing
Old 05-18-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I like to overweight Health Care in the hope it could be a partial hedge against my health care costs. HC will likely become a disproportionately large part of my spending, and is a high-risk expense for me, being on individual health insurance policies.

Speculatively, I don't know if I prefer US (or global) HC, over other US (or global) Largecap Growth, though I did when I last added to VGHCX. It has outperformed my portfolio though, since then. And, I believe, has outperformed VUG since I bought that, fairly recently--though VUG is US only (large growth).

If I were picking sectors, I might underweight energy today. Haven't run the numbers, but suspect it's pricey. I prefer commodity futures (PCRIX) in my portfolio, for their historically low correlation to stocks, and potentially good returns compared to bonds.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:19 AM   #3

I agree. A little sector investing adds a bit of spice.

It's kind of like Buy-and-hold-index-investors gone wild.

I bought the Vanguard Health Care fund the day after election day, and it's gone up 12% so far. For me, this is like going to Vegas.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:35 AM   #4

I say there is nothing wrong with shifting some money around as long as it is not the majority. I think ETFs are made for that IMHO......

Waiting for Unclemick's male hormone comment
Old 05-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Huh, I own all four of vanguards sector funds and they're among my best performers.

Precious metals - 3%
Reit - 10%
Healthcare - 3%
Energy - 3%

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

TH, wouldn't three of those - REIT, Energy, and metals - be considered more of a whole market diversification than a sector play? By that I mean, 4 pillars argues against buying sector funds of the stock market, but thinks commodities, energy, precious metals, reits etc. are sound diversification tools due to their low correlation. Healthcare, hmmm, I bet you've made a bundle off that, but how much longer can that industry's cost far outstrip inflation without riots in the streets? Ech, now I sound like a dirty market timer!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh, are we going to try to define the difference between a hunk of market based on what kind of business it is and a "sector"? I dont think I can do that. Real Estate, Health Care, gold and silver stocks and Energy stocks *are* sectors!

And yep, I made plenty on healthcare. Had half of my IRA in it for a while, moved into REIT a couple of years ago. Ready to move a large hunk from there to somewhere else, as soon as I can find out what that might be. Would love a dip on Energy to add to that holding. I think Healthcare almost HAS to be nationalized at some point in the next 5-10 years. Or nobody will be able to afford insurance or out of pocket care, which means the money stops. That sort of has a way of changing things, when a lot of big earners suddenly have no income stream or they're chasing fewer customers. Real Estate I think has also topped out for a while. Energy though...that might have some legs for a while...

'Scuse me while I go wash my hands in some chlorine bleach...or waitaminnit...given the 90 degree weather coming I need to set up my little intex pool and that'll have some chlorine in it!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
...how much longer can that industry's cost far outstrip inflation without riots in the streets?
People will be too sick to go our rioting.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to re-read that section and post a more educated reply after, I just remember him talking about not investing in sector funds, yet at the same time talking about small positions in gold, and reits....I'll attempt to reconcile my memory unless you can give me the readers digest version here.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Another way to invest using sectors is to simply put equal dollar amounts into each of the ten sectors that make up the Dow Jones Total Market Index. *By rebalancing annually, you sell those sectors that have appreciated and buy more of those that have underperformed.
JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

People will be too sick to go our rioting.
I was thinking of that movie with Denzel Washington where the insurance company refuses to pay for his sons life saving treatment, so Denzel goes all commando die hard hostage taker on everybody. Imagine ten thousand angry parents with shotguns and pitchforks....
Old 05-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill
Imagine ten thousand angry parents with shotguns and pitchforks....
Sounds like a synopsis of my life from age ~15 to ~28...
Old 05-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP
Another way to invest using sectors is to simply put equal dollar amounts into each of the ten sectors that make up the Dow Jones Total Market Index. By rebalancing annually, you sell those sectors that have appreciated and buy more of those that have underperformed.
This sounds like a good strategy.

Vanguard has a link (http://flagship5.vanguard.com/VGApp/...ndsLargeSector) about sector concentrations (or holdings) of their non-industry specific funds. The sectors are: Autos and Transportation, Consumer Discretionary and Services, Consumer Staples, Financial Services, Health Care, Integrated Oils, Materials and Processing, Technology, Utilities. It seems that there are many vanguard funds already cover the Technology, Health Care, Financial Services, and Consumer Discretionary and Services. I am surprised that they classify the REIT fund as 100% invested in financial services. That suggests that one might consider investing in Integrated Oils, Materials and Processing, Utilities and Consumer Staples.

Spanky