Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I don't know if there's any merit to this, but I've heard a lot of illegals end up getting low-wage jobs with fake ID's and such, and actually do pay into Social Security. But, their intent is to move back to their home country long before they reach retirement age. So many of them are paying into it, but will never collect.
Yes, I've heard this from someone who ran a convenient store. But I guess this is a very small portion compared to the rest. Many small business hire these folks and pay cash (often below minimum wage). By product of this is that they bring down wages for people working legally.

Some years ago, I hired a contractor to do some work on my back yard. He brought two Hispanic men hanging around Home Depot looking for work to do the job. My assumption was that they were illegals. They were not! They have working permit and everything and ended up suing the contractor for unfair wage practice.

Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Mr. Wolf's views are in direct contradiction to studies conducted by the CIA, the British equivalent of the CIA, and the OECP. I'm old enough to remember this same doom and gloom being spewed around in the 1970's. Predictions aren't worth the time it takes to read them.

Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't all those people legally immigrate to the US?

For me, there is a huge difference between someone who follows the rules and comes here legally, and someone who enters illegally. That's a matter of law, not an opinion.

Absolutely! Did I miss that difference when reading the posts? If so, I apologize. I do not agree with the tendency to mix legal and illegal immigrants as though they are one group. It makes about as much sense as combining alcoholics and occasional social drinkers together.
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #44
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Predictions aren't worth the time it takes to read them.
Indeed, not different from market timing, the futility of which most here recognize.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote