Join Early Retirement Today

Secular Stagnation
Old 09-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Secular Stagnation

Yesterdays Diane Rehm Show had Martin Wolf as a guest. Among other things, he was talking about America and Europe entering a prolonged period of economic stagnation due to low consumer demand. Somewhat a Japan Lite of the last 20 years. Any thoughts?

Martin Wolf: "The Shifts And The Shocks: What We've Learned -- And Have Still To Learn -- From The Financial Crisis" | The Diane Rehm Show from WAMU and NPR

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #2

I guess this is off topic but am I the only one who finds Diane Rehm's voice so painful to listen to that I can't listen to her show?
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As long as I can fund my consumption, I'll be doing my demand part in both continents. Otherwise, I don't really worry about it.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I guess this is off topic but am I the only one who finds Diane Rehm's voice so painful to listen to that I can't listen to her show?
Indeed, but I do give her credit for sticking with it even after contracting that disease. I usually enjoy her guests, even the ones I disagree with. Usual her guest are even tempered and hope to impart information instead of arguing.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

She asks some good questions though her prejudices do shine through. As far as low consumer demand, check out the Nov. 2014 issue do Consumer Reports for an article on new consumer spending habits.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Um, so why is this particular pundit being featured just right now? The bullcrap echo chamber that is the media operates 24/7 I guess...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Indeed, but I do give her credit for sticking with it even after contracting that disease. I usually enjoy her guests, even the ones I disagree with. Usual her guest are even tempered and hope to impart information instead of arguing.
+1
Old 10-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It is only painful to me because I can remember how mellifluous her voice was, years ago, before her voicebox was damaged.

I still like her persona, and that makes up for her raspiness. Rush Limbaugh's voice is OK - and I even agree with him from time to time - but his persona is so obnoxious that I literally cannot listen to his show.

On-Topic: I do not know the answer. If basing financial bets on the affairs of the current majority race (Euro-Caucasians), then the prospects for the U.S. economy seem dismal since so many of the ones my age didn't have kids, or only have one child (and the rise of the twee neologism, "Granddog," tells us all we need to know about where that population trend is going).

Nevertheless, I am observing, in my own little corner of the U.S., Central American immigrants aggressively working their way into the business class. This growing population segment may be shopping at the 2nd-hand stores now, but if current (personally observed) trends continue, they'll be looking to buy nicer things very soon. There are a lot of Central American immigrants around here and they won't all be mowing lawns forever (the guy who tiled my bathroom used to mow the lawn next door, and hopes to own his own remodeling company one day).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Um, so why is this particular pundit being featured just right now? The bullcrap echo chamber that is the media operates 24/7 I guess...
He just wrote a book, the interview was probably part of the promotional tour.

He's a smart guy, qualified, very analytical, not part of the bs chamber. He stands apart as a journalist because he knows his stuff and his writing focuses more on policy than politics. I'm not going to buy the book but may listen to the interview, not sure I buy into the secular stagnation theory.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #10

I have no doubt that consumers, the majority of them, are spending less. That is why the great deflation fears are being talked about, especially in the EU.

When real wages fall, what are consumers supposed to do, spend more? We are in the great wage equalization period, that will last many years. It will continues until all people, in all countries, make the same wages to live a similar lifestyle.

Once one countries wages get too high, there will be another lower priced country to take it's place.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

No worries; we're turning the rest of the world into good little consumers as fast as we can...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
No worries; we're turning the rest of the world into good little consumers as fast as we can...
And then people will be crying because all those people are driving cars, and consuming energy... Causing more environmental damage.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #13

I do wish McDonald's would stop marketing all those wasteful plastic toys. They're made from oil and all end up in landfill.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #14

Wolf's point on stagnation was the fact we are in for a long period of de-leveraging, companies buying back stock instead of investing in growing the business, consumers cutting back, etc. It sounds reasonable that this would eventually be good for the economy, but I'd really like to see bond real returns be positive sooner than later!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It is only painful to me because I can remember how mellifluous her voice was, years ago, before her voicebox was damaged.

I still like her persona, and that makes up for her raspiness. Rush Limbaugh's voice is OK - and I even agree with him from time to time - but his persona is so obnoxious that I literally cannot listen to his show.

On-Topic: I do not know the answer. If basing financial bets on the affairs of the current majority race (Euro-Caucasians), then the prospects for the U.S. economy seem dismal since so many of the ones my age didn't have kids, or only have one child (and the rise of the twee neologism, "Granddog," tells us all we need to know about where that population trend is going).

Nevertheless, I am observing, in my own little corner of the U.S., Central American immigrants aggressively working their way into the business class. This growing population segment may be shopping at the 2nd-hand stores now, but if current (personally observed) trends continue, they'll be looking to buy nicer things very soon. There are a lot of Central American immigrants around here and they won't all be mowing lawns forever (the guy who tiled my bathroom used to mow the lawn next door, and hopes to own his own remodeling company one day).

Amethyst
+1
This is what I observe also. Immigrants have always done better than native born, and have powered our progress. The immigrants I know work harder and longer than I ever could, starting from almost nothing are building businesses, always successful because of their hard work. This is the one card we have in our pocket which will keep us from ever becoming another Japan.

The ones I know don't want to shop second hand. Even if they buy little, they want the best. Seeing them I don't worry about the next generation of business builders or consumers.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #16

Quote:

Amethyst
I notice that they seem to spend what they make.

Whether people like it or not, population growth fuels economic growth. US population is still on growing trend b/c of immigration. As long as that continues, I will not worry about stagnation. Japan has aging, and declining population. They had to look to export to generate growth and had tough competition from China, Korea, and others over the last 20 years. Apples and oranges ....
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post

Whether people like it or not, population growth fuels economic growth. US population is still on growing trend b/c of immigration. As long as that continues, I will not worry about stagnation. Japan has aging, and declining population. They had to look to export to generate growth and had tough competition from China, Korea, and others over the last 20 years. Apples and oranges ....
Gotta agree that demographics are hard to fight.

Seems there's a lot of people trying to curtail immigration to the US though. If they're successful this growth can't be counted on and I think birthrate for US citizens is below the replacement value.... Not sure if that's still 2.1 children per woman....

Old 10-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had an Echo Boom of kids born from 1984 to 1992... Those kids are just starting to move out into the world, get married, have kids, buy homes, minivans, car seats, etc. add in a growing middle class in India and China...I would like to see this guys math.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am observing, in my own little corner of the U.S., Central American immigrants aggressively working their way into the business class. This growing population segment may be shopping at the 2nd-hand stores now, but if current (personally observed) trends continue, they'll be looking to buy nicer things very soon.

Amethyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
+1
This is what I observe also. Immigrants have always done better than native born, and have powered our progress. The immigrants I know work harder and longer than I ever could, starting from almost nothing are building businesses, always successful because of their hard work. This is the one card we have in our pocket which will keep us from ever becoming another Japan.

The ones I know don't want to shop second hand. Even if they buy little, they want the best. Seeing them I don't worry about the next generation of business builders or consumers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post

+1 The American Dream has fueled our success for our entire history. That is why I am amazed at the fear of immigration rampant on our shores. We are a magnet for entrepreneurial spirits looking to improve life for themselves and their families. Just the people we want. We can deal with the small proportion of neer-do-wells who tag along -- they certainly are in no greater proportion than our own bad seeds.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if some of this reduced consumer demand was very predictable consequence of the Great Recession, similar to how our parent's generation reacted to the Great Depression. While it will undoubtedly result in slower growth, my hope is it will result in more sustainable growth as well and less consumer excess than in the past. I think more LBYMing and saving by the masses would be good even though it will have a adverse impact on economic growth.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote