Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Security Freeze - Update
Old 06-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Security Freeze - Update

Hi everyone,

While many of us focus on accumulating wealth on our way to financial independence, this can also make us more of a target for identity theft:
Got Money? You're a Prime Target for Identify Thieves
With the ongoing data breaches, I wanted to update a post I did at the beginning of April regarding security freezes, the only significant preventive measure for identity theft. At the time, I had just learned of some of the specialty consumer reports that are available, and was interested in learning how many other reporting agencies exist, particularly those with established processes to set up security freezes.

The single best directory of national consumer reporting agencies is from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau:
List of consumer reporting agencies
I recently came across a directory of listing many smaller credit reporting agencies & credit bureaus at the state/local level:
Directory Of Credit Reporting Agencies & Credit Bureaus
(The California directory appears to be truncated, but the other states I looked at appeared to be complete.)
I can confirm from personal experience that it is possible to get security freezes from:
National Credit Bureaus
Equifax
Experian
TransUnion
Supplementary/Alternative Credit Bureaus
Innovis
LexisNexis
SageStream
CoreLogic (Credco/SafeRent)
Checking & Banking Screening Agencies
Certegy
ChexSystems
Other Specialty Consumer Reporting Agencies
Clarity
NCTUE
I am presently working on obtaining reporting freezes from:
Advanced Resolution Services
Early Warning Services
TeleCheck
RealPage
If you haven’t already done so, I also recommend opting out of pre-screened offers of credit and insurance, as identity thieves sometimes take advantage of them:
OptOutPreScreen.com
It’s not the same as a reporting freeze, but you can reduce the amount of unsolicited telemarketing, direct-mail, and/or email offers, by getting yourself removed from Acxiom’s marketing data products:
Acxiom Opt-Out
If you are on the fence about security freezes, Brian Krebs, a well-respected writer on security issues, presented his own experiences with them:
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Embrace the Security Freeze
Anyway, while it’s not easy protecting oneself in such a data-connected world, putting these measures in place has contributed to my peace of mind. Perhaps they will for you also. Take care.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 05:57 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

And on a related note, Dirk Cotton recently posted this article on his blog:

"Assume Your Social Security Number Is Already Out There"

http://theretirementcafe.blogspot.com
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWatcher View Post
Hi everyone,

<snip>
National Credit Bureaus
Equifax
Experian
TransUnion
Supplementary/Alternative Credit Bureaus
Innovis
LexisNexis
SageStream
CoreLogic (Credco/SafeRent)
Checking & Banking Screening Agencies
Certegy
ChexSystems
Other Specialty Consumer Reporting Agencies
Clarity
NCTUE
I am presently working on obtaining reporting freezes from:
Advanced Resolution Services
Early Warning Services
TeleCheck
RealPage
If you haven’t already done so, I also recommend opting out of pre-screened offers of credit and insurance, as identity thieves sometimes take advantage of them:
OptOutPreScreen.com
It’s not the same as a reporting freeze, but you can reduce the amount of unsolicited telemarketing, direct-mail, and/or email offers, by getting yourself removed from Acxiom’s marketing data products:
Acxiom Opt-Out
If you are on the fence about security freezes, Brian Krebs, a well-respected writer on security issues, presented his own experiences with them:
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Embrace the Security Freeze
Anyway, while it’s not easy protecting oneself in such a data-connected world, putting these measures in place has contributed to my peace of mind. Perhaps they will for you also. Take care.

That's an awful lot of places to go to get freezes. Probably worth the time and effort, but a lot of people won't be bothered, until too late.
Still, it would be great if there was a one stop shop, but then again THAT shop would probably become a target...
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemlovers View Post
And on a related note, Dirk Cotton recently posted this article on his blog:

"Assume Your Social Security Number Is Already Out There"

The Retirement Café
That's the best advice out there. It's tough to prevent identity theft with 100% effectiveness but if you are vigilant about it, you can minimize the damage.

Good job to the OP, there's a lot of information on there...thanks for compiling and sharing!
Old 06-16-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you ClockWatcher
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for all the good advice and links here. Really great!
I froze my credit bureaus. then I realized that those identity protection plans don't work if one's credit is frozen. That will save me some money right there.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote