Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
I am trying to understand what recourse the owner thinks he has if these "rules" are broken. Security deposit ... ok. They'll stay a month later wo paying rent ... then move (hopefully).

Is an owner really going to incur 3-4 months rent loss and legal fees to evict a tenant over some broken rule. Good luck with that.

You turned a positive cashflow into a negative one over Fifi the cat. AND good luck getting a judge to put them out.

I sat in court while a judge refused to evict a family to facilitate the sale of a home. Posession is 9/10's of the law.
Use this and turn a broken rule into incomplete rent payment, then evict for non payment.
"Resident payments shall be applied in the following order to satisfy any prior (a) returned check charges, (b) late payment charges, (c) property damage costs, (d) property repair costs, (e) security deposit deficiencies, (f) legal fees and then (g) current months rent."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyparty View Post
We'd love to sell a house we have, used the last 20 years by my m.i.l. -- but of course its impossible these days....so we're going to try renting it out. A property mgt. co. will be screening tenants for us...and have asked us to provide a 'house rules' list. Would really appreciate any advice, resources, etc. for doing this. Thanks in advance!
I find this question odd. Our property management company has a standard list of rules that apply to every property they manage (about 400 houses).

If every house they manage has different rules I would think it would be incredibly hard to keep up with.

You might ask them back what is THEIR standard list of rules.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #23

Quote:

Use this and turn a broken rule into incomplete rent payment, then evict for non payment.
"Resident payments shall be applied in the following order to satisfy any prior (a) returned check charges, (b) late payment charges, (c) property damage costs, (d) property repair costs, (e) security deposit deficiencies, (f) legal fees and then (g) current months rent."
That's the right angle ... but the eviction process is 3 months (in MA) and hundreds in legal fees (no lawyer). And don't ever move the tenant (3K minimum).

My guess is the management company triing to tell the OP "you're in charge". It might "feel good" ... but good luck enforcing the rules. The police don't want to hear it .... tenants have rights too.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes the cash-for-keys approach works with non-professional tenants.
Also do some homework / searches on bbs2 mrlandlord com site area specific to MA. Its an active landlord site with area specific landlords bloging in the question & ans section about solutions to their area specific problems.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been emailing my manager today regarding a deposit check we mailed that was returned and just got a kick out of the exchanges:

Subject: Re:
To: calmloki

No Alex was the lesbian roller derby girl.

To: xx
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:52 PM

Weird - I show the check made out to Roberta Mxxxr, Hitlist shows Robin Mxxxr as the tenant in Mill #4 for several months prior to March 2011. Check #1305 - No biggy - I've voided the check so it won't keep popping up when we try and reconcile the account. Hey - was Alex the scumdog who ended up in a California prison? That would maybe account for him not cashing his check - poor little fella.

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:22:09 -0700
Subject: Re:
To: calmloki

The voided check was for Alex Gxx from Mill #4. I can get the check number tonight once I am home.

To: xx
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:48 PM
Subject:

Possible cleaners. Call Bill & Dxx Nxx, mention our names so they associate you with the cleaner request (talked with them last night about cleaners). They have a daughter, Franque (how about Frankie - some people!) who is out of work and hungry for work and they know a lady right across the street from them on 3rd here in town who is working cleaning a house for sale right now. They need to know how they get paid and the amount - didn't get into that. Dxx indicated that carpet shampooing was no issue, but we'll see. Bill & Dxx do have rentals, so that is a good thing. 503xxxxxxx

Cleaning checklist attached.

Front #1 outgoing tenant Kxxx Jxxxx mailing address:
xxxth st.
Corvallis Ore.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #26

I'm a relatively new landlord (less than one year), with one property. However, I joined a landlord association and am benefitting from their combined 400 years of experience...here are some of the rules we've put in place at our 1,000 sq. ft. 2-bedroom rental house.

1)Limit number of pets, and charge extra for them. We charge a one-time "pet registration" fee of $100, then $40/month for up to two "approved" pets (no wild boars please)

2) No hazardous materials allowed onsite (meth labs, amatuer chemists, etc.)

3) Do not obstruct driveways or alleys

4) Keey all windows unobstructed (again, meth labs want to hide what's inside)

5) No political signs

6) No heating devices other than those already installed (wood stoves are very dangerous for those who don't know how to operate them)

7) Pick up dog excrement in yard

8) Not leave windows/doors open during inclement weather

9) Turn off main water supply if leaving the house for more than 24 hours continuous (flooding happens fast when a water line bursts and they are on vacation in Florida)

10) No hanging of laundry in the yard (we supply a dryer)

11) No locks or security devices installed without owner's written consent

12) No loud noises including incessant dog barking, fireworks, or music

13) Deposit all trash and refuse in supplied containers (some people want to burn it or composte it, creating a mess, smell, and rodents)

14) All vehicles on property must be in working order (no junk yards please)

15) No water devices in house greater than 5 gallons (fish tanks, waterbeds, etc....extra insurance required)

16) We allow smoking, but any remnants of smoke that require remediation prior to new tenant will be charged....basically we recommend they smoke outside

17) We also specifically list charges for cleaning of certain items. For example, if we have to clean the oven...$40 fee

Good luck!