Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Seeking Asset Allocation Advice
Old 09-26-2004, 03:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Surf:

Well I looked as the Wellesley fund data and it shows a 1 - 5 year return before tax of between about 4 - 6.75 %. As my $200k I want to invest is in an IRA, would I not be only slightly compromized putting it in a 5 year CD at 5% with my credit union?

Unless I am reading the data wrong?

SWR

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2004, 03:39 PM   #22

Hi SWR,

Would you mind sharing the name of your CU and URL if they have one?
5% is pretty good now a days.
This past March, I got in on the 5 year 5.25% CD from PFCU.

MJ

Old 09-26-2004, 03:46 PM   #23

MJ:

I am with OrangeCountysCU.org. But I get over their published rates. I have negociated them with my manager, as I have over $1m invested with them. I do not even live their now. All managers of institutions have a discrestionary amount they can give to good customers.

If you want to go to Canada you can get good rates at GICDirect.com

Also check bankrate.com

SWR
Old 09-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #24

MJ:

What is the URL of PFCU?

SWR
Old 09-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

SWR,
I like Wellesley because I'm looking very long term. I 39 so I need to take more stock market risk than some others. I look at the Wellesley 10 year return of 10.16% and the 34 year return of 10.9% and I like these returns much better than 5% CDs......and I've been comfortable with Nasdaq stock volalitility for a long time, so with the conservative Wellesley fund I should sleep like a baby.

Surf
Old 09-26-2004, 10:06 PM   #26

Quote:
What is the URL of PFCU?
Hi SWR,

Here it is,
https://www.penfed.org/index.asp

The rate for a 5 year cd of 3.75% is pretty poor now . I guess for a 2 to 4 month period earlier this year, they thought the rates would rise a lot faster so they were offering that excellent 5 year rate of 5.25%. I bought $95K worth.
Best I have seen so far has been 4.7% from CapOne.

MJ
Old 09-27-2004, 11:41 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lots has been said about the bright future for healthcare. Allow me to pour a little cold water over that notion.

I agree that it is clear we will have substantial increases in demand for healthcare for the forseeable future. However, as healthcare gobbles up more and more of GDP, the focus will increasingly be on the cost of healthcare. The gummint is by far the biggest purchaser of healthcare, and it has only begun to start flexing its muscles WRT setting prices. I think the drug companies, et al. are going to have a hard row to hoe because there will be a lot of implicit and explicit pressures on prices for years (decades?) to come.

I think the best opportunities in healthcare are in companies that help control or reduce the cost of healthcare. Disease management companies, pharmacy benefit managers, and the like look very attractive. I have a significant position (for me) in PLMD, which has specialized in the diabetes management space.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asset Allocation