Join Early Retirement Today
Selecting Asset Classes for Roth Conversion
Old 12-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Selecting Asset Classes for Roth Conversion

It looks like this tax year will be a good time for me to chip a bit more off of an IRA and convert to Roth.

In one Roth, I have REIT index fund.

In another Roth, the subject of this post, I have previously converted some Foreign Large Blend, and Domestic Value into it. I was just going to choose out of some other funds in the IRA, like World Large Value, or Domestic Large Growth to convert, to add more variety to this Roth.

But then, I started to wonder if I should be converting some bond fund. I have a Domestic Intermediate High-Quality in the IRA that I could convert some of it.

I don't think I'll be withdrawing any Roth for about the next ten years or so. And when I do withdraw, it will be with the idea of using it in a multitude of income sources to reduce the taxation on SS via using some Roth withdrawals (Roth withdrawals are not counted in the married filing jointly SS 32k taxation rule).

With these goals in mind, does adding some bond conversion sound like a good idea? Any negatives to having a bond fund in a Roth vs. an IRA? I just thought of this last night.

-- Telly, the D-I-Y guy --
Two fools dancing on the hands of time
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have only equities in my Roth as they historically have the highest appreciation. But I try to keep the Roth reasonably diversified between U.S./foreign, mid/large US, value/growth -- no REITs yet.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote