Selecting Asset Classes for Roth Conversion

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It looks like this tax year will be a good time for me to chip a bit more off of an IRA and convert to Roth.

In one Roth, I have REIT index fund.

In another Roth, the subject of this post, I have previously converted some Foreign Large Blend, and Domestic Value into it. I was just going to choose out of some other funds in the IRA, like World Large Value, or Domestic Large Growth to convert, to add more variety to this Roth.

But then, I started to wonder if I should be converting some bond fund. I have a Domestic Intermediate High-Quality in the IRA that I could convert some of it.

I don't think I'll be withdrawing any Roth for about the next ten years or so. And when I do withdraw, it will be with the idea of using it in a multitude of income sources to reduce the taxation on SS via using some Roth withdrawals (Roth withdrawals are not counted in the married filing jointly SS 32k taxation rule).

With these goals in mind, does adding some bond conversion sound like a good idea? Any negatives to having a bond fund in a Roth vs. an IRA? I just thought of this last night.

I have only equities in my Roth as they historically have the highest appreciation. But I try to keep the Roth reasonably diversified between U.S./foreign, mid/large US, value/growth -- no REITs yet.

Back
Top Bottom