Join Early Retirement Today
Self help crfedit union
Old 12-08-2005, 06:41 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Self help crfedit union

Hello all. I have been looking at CD rates and have found the Self Help Credit Union (SHCU) in NC to have the highest 6 month & 1 year rates. As a federal credit union they are federally insured. Has anyone invested with them? Would appreciate any comments regarding their service, online website, etc. Many thxs!

vmaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Self help crfedit union
Old 12-08-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can tell you that they are a real, legitimate business. I interviewed for a job with them a few years ago, and they have an office building in downtown Durham, NC. I've only heard good things about them, and they help the local community with targeted lending (not predatory lending!). Plus, if they are NCUA insured, you're safe up to the limits (probably $100k). Mind sharing what the rates and terms are on their CD's? I've looked at them in the past, but the rates weren't quite high enough for me to deposit with them.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

look on fatwallet ( in the cd threat.* they are about 4.95% on a 1 year cd last time I looked.

edit: actual cd website:
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I checked their website and it would cost $25 to join.
corusbank currently has a 1 year with 4.84% APY.
With the $25 membership fee, you'd have to get a $300k CD at 4.95% to breakeven.
I look to the present moment because that's where I live my life.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

I recently opened a jumbo cd at a very good rate at SHCU via mail and shortly thereafter received a very nice personal letter from the CEO thanking me for the business. When was the last time that happened? I wonder if he's planning on keeping the money forever . . . should have asked him! :
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:06 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just for fun, I had a look at the most recent reglatory financials for Self Help. They are small ($100 something million in assets) and they appear to make fairly risky loans, since almost 5% of the loan book is delinquent. However, when loans do go bad, they are able to collect most of what they are owed, with a net charge off to assets ratio of less than 1/2%. To compensate for the riskiness of their loans, they have a lot of capital (22% of assets at 6/30).

Self Help looks reasonably safe. They probably are marginally riskier than someone like Pen Fed, but they appear to know their business and make a fair amount of money, considering they are a non-profit. Probably a reasonable place to put your money, assuming you get good rates and don't go over the deposit insurance limit.

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote