Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
The thought that popped into my mind the. is what I can not "control or fix/repair myself" such as health.

There, I feel vulnerable ... Can't really control it. Can't fix it if it gets broken etc. Sure I don't smoke, don't drink often, eat balanced meals, trying exercise etc but Health is the one area where independence is quickly lost, sometimes completely out of ones own control.

For us control freaks it's one of the wild cards for sure - part of the reason I FIREd at 45.
Actually, health is more within our control than you may think at first. Oh sure, there are some things that happen that don't seem to have any correlation to lifestyle, but I think they are in the minority. When I think about the friends/acquaintances of mine that have become very sick and/or died before reaching a very elderly age, the vast majority of them were on a path to sickness for many years before that, due to things like smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, poor diet, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, excessive stress, etc.. If you pay attention to your body and take care of it, the odds of staying pretty healthy into your older years is actually quite good.

Sure, there is always the person that does everything right and still gets very sick at a younger age (we can all cite one or more of those that we know), but that kind of thing does not happen all that often in my experience.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
the odds
Which means all of this is as you have just admitted, OUT OF PEOPLE'S CONTROL. It's all "The Odds" by your own definition. Doing this or that to affect the odds cannot in any way be taken as a given that the person doing it will benefit from it. Group outcomes say nothing about a single specimen. Exhortations to the contrary need not be taken seriously. hat's how this stuff works.

Sure, some people will think otherwise but much less is within your control than people seem to want to think.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I'd say high skill DIY (plumbing, electrical, auto mechanics) do not factor much into ER. The DIY that DW and I have done that saved massive amounts of $ have been:

Cooking at home instead of restaurant/carryout.

Doing our own yardwork.

Cleaning our own house.

Those are recurring events, unlike plumbers (which hopefully are not required weekly).

In addition to that, buying less house than we could afford, buying modest cars, and being indifferent to fashion/shopping/keeping up with the Joneses have resulted in huge savings.
This. My greatest blessing is being content with less than my peers, and just doing basic work around the house and on the cars. Adds up to an earlier retirement.

Sent from my XT1031 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I'd say high skill DIY (plumbing, electrical, auto mechanics) do not factor much into ER.
I certainly hope you are right. I cannot or will not do those repairs myself. I will put windshield wiper fluid for my car and change fuses when they blow, is about all I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Thank Goodness for YouTube! I think one can learn to do most anything short of a home-surgery appendix removal there.
Oh, they've got that too:

Old 03-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #26

I'm an avid DIYer and so are most of my family and friends. My brother can do anything mechanical from rebuilding an engine to fixing appliances and AC units. I can do it all around the house from plumbing to electrical to drywall to installing doors and windows. When someone needs a house shingled or a deck built, we all get together and pitch in. I've lost track of how much money has been saved over the years, but on my house alone it exceeds $80,000 and has allowed me to become mortgage free that much earlier.

Having the skills and/or knowing someone that does gives you peace of mind knowing that you're not at the mercy of a trade when something breaks down. This is especially nice having only made a modest income over the years.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Thank Goodness for YouTube! I think one can learn to do most anything short of a home-surgery appendix removal there.
Amen to that! I learned how to remove the injectors on a diesel switch engine and remove the freezer baskets in our new fridge on Youtube

Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote