Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #21
gone traveling

I have never been very successful timing the market, so most likely will keep my allocation where it is. QEII coming to end is a concern as to what that will do on the bond side.

If your into market timing algorithms, one metric that may be better for exiting the market might be when the S&P 500 goes below its 200 dma by X% (maybe 3-5%).
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

staying put. aa is 75% equity, 15% bond, 10% cash.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
That chart should wrap around from where it ends on April 30 on the right to where it starts on May 1 on the left. Why does it have 6 -12% return on April 30 and 0% return on May 1?
bob boag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't consult the calendar, or the stars, when making investment decisions. But I do think we have an extended market and an economic slow down looming (largely due to the fiscal drag of expiring stimulus and budget cuts combined with the shock of a 35% yearly increase in gasoline prices). I don't think we're heading for recession, but we could easily see a repeat of last Spring when the economy also hit a soft patch and the S&P declined 15% or so.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Nope. I'm on sabbatical from messing with my portfolio. My hand is not touching the dial.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not going without my dividends for 6 months....I'm addicted. Besides I doubt that goofey chart take into account dividends (1/2 the profit in the stock market but who's counting passive crap like that)
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1

Besides, if I sold in May we would probably have the greatest market rally in modern times.
Just be sure to let us all know when you do...
Old 04-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Realised some stock and fund gains in April - only because those gains are attractively high. Trying to maintain basic allocation percentage to keep income inflow from dividends and interests however cash level appears high at the moment given the recent sale of stock and funds.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Realised some stock and fund gains in April - only because those gains are attractively high.
Same here.

I sell when it makes sense, not driven by a calendar date.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I closed most of my call option positions in the last month or so because the stocks had run and I thought significant further gains in the time I had left were unlikely. Other than that, I mostly trade based on valuations and my efforts to diversify. Could care less what month it is.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Then you have to factor in the third year of a presidential term (statistical, not political, from last summer: Looking to year 3 of presidential cycle Mark Hulbert - MarketWatch) and divide by your age minus your date of birth times the number of people who live on your block who own a Magic8 ball. All signs are good!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Then you have to factor in the third year of a presidential term (statistical, not political, from last summer: Looking to year 3 of presidential cycle Mark Hulbert - MarketWatch) and divide by your age minus your date of birth times the number of people who live on your block who own a Magic8 ball. All signs are good!
Hey, you too could be a certified technical analyst!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #33

No I don't do that because I feel my asset allocation is one I can live with. Actually I think it is a little light on equities at 35/65 so I'm thinking if we see a good correction of say 15% I'd be willing to up my equities to 40 or 45%, 50% seems too high for me.

It sure seems we are poised for a pull back as there are a lot of negative things but there are many positive things as well so I don't know what will happen. Sell in May was not a good call in 2009 and even in 2010 if you missed September you missed out on a lot of growth.

Market timing means you have to be right twice, I can't get it right one time! I'm tuning out the noise.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #34

The only assets I would consider selling early are municipal bonds. I will keep my CDs to their maturity date.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

It's important that investment strategies rhyme.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's important that investment strategies rhyme.
Sell in June, you're a goon.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I too have sat through a lot. When I think about selling, I think what the hell will I do with it? I already have plenty of money sitting in 1% bank accounts. I've heard now is not the time for bond funds. So here I sit pondering... Maybe I should try trading a little and see how I do or don't?
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #38

dont bother...... its not worth the drama........ IMO.
almost there is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sell in June, you're a goon.
Sell in May? You're OK...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Fighting fire with fire, this is the 3rd year of the Presidential cycle and since 1951 we've seen the following averages:

I'm hanging tight.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote