Sell Me on Fidelity rather than Vanguard

I would still have my IRA moved to Vanguard because I have VG funds at FIDO and would get the admiral shares and not be charged 75 bucks to buy more. Sadly they didn't seem to want it moved or care about getting it moved.

What I see people saying in this thread is that the situation has changed. Something that had more positive and less negative before now has more negative and less positive and something else that had more negative and less positive before now has more positive and less negative. Like I said I was surprised to hear this. But that is indeed what people are saying.

You and I are reading different threads, obviously.

I agree if you need hand holding, trust services or your ego stroked, Vanguard would not be the first choice. They are more of a no nonsense, treat all peeps the same kind of company for the simpleton, like me!

If you are trading on margin, calls and options, lots of individual stock exchanges, Vanguard would not be a good first choice.

I do all of my business with them on line and they have been helpful when I called them. I am also considering opening an account at Fido for a 2nd taxable account, but not because I am unhappy with Vanguard.

Recently my former megacorp decided to change its 401k custodian away from Vanguard. I wanted to stay and called and it took about 1/2 hour on the phone and 3 days later it was all done. No fuss no Muss. So good service there. Other than that I do everything online.

Recently my former megacorp decided to change its 401k custodian away from Vanguard. I wanted to stay and called and it took about 1/2 hour on the phone and 3 days later it was all done. No fuss no Muss. So good service there. Other than that I do everything online.
Glad for you. Don't understand why I got a complete runaround.

Now they are providing value added guidance to those investors who still want handholding. They're doing it for .3% not the industry standard 1%. Of course with index funds the entire fee structure is cheaper than say a Jones.

I know your a big Fidelity guy and use the same newsletter my DF did. At the end of his life he was paying those folks 1.5% plus the active fund fees to manage his money. They were really nice to him. Vanguard's PAS would have been a better solution.

Not sure why you think expanding their products to reach another group of investors is a bad thing. These folks appear to want an advisor. After all Jones has a billion under management. That's a lot of folks who could save substantial dollars with a cheaper, better option.

why would he pay fidelity monitor 1.50% when he could simply follow their newsletter for 99 bucks a year ? even my wife who has no interest in this stuff can follow any occasional fund swaps on her own .

unless you have no self discipline i fail to see the need to get both the newsletter and have them mange your money for a fee

Question: About ten years ago my assigned consultant at Fidelity arranged to have all fees that my former IRA custodian charged to close out that IRA and roll it over into Fidelity. I'll probably find some time in the next week or two to ask my new consultant if they're still willing to do that, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with such reimbursements.

You and I are reading different threads, obviously.
Or you're simply ignoring the posts that don't jive with your preconceived notions, while I was surprised by them and allowed them to shape a new understanding of the situation for me.

I used to get calls once a qtr from my Fidelity private client rep.... just to check in and see if I needed anything. Haven't heard from him in over 3 years. I do get a free TT download annually. :)

why would he pay fidelity monitor 1.50% when he could simply follow their newsletter for 99 bucks a year ? even my wife who has no interest in this stuff can follow any occasional fund swaps on her own .

unless you have no self discipline i fail to see the need to get both the newsletter and have them mange your money for a fee

He was a demented 95 year old. He couldn't keep his password straight for a day! He needed someone to do it for him.

Why pay 1.5% plus active fees on top of Fidelity's active management when Vanguard's much cheaper.

Old age isn't kind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom