Join Early Retirement Today

Seller financing of my investment property.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Seller financing of my investment property.

Has anyone here sold real estate and gone the seller financing
route? I'm trying to make this as simple and quick as possible.
I have a buyer already lined up. Just need to make sure I have
all the details I need straight.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup. a fixed interest rate makes you feel real smart when rates are low and kinda dumb when rates climb higher, but that monthly check is pretty nice. Consider a 30 due in 10 on commercial, which gives the buyer a relatively low fixed payment to plan on and protects the seller from rates going way high. I like our owner carry contracts more than the cash outs that require me to think of something productive to do with the money that >= the 6.5-7% a commercial contract pays.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I haven't but a friend of mine sold his house that way. It was a bit of a special situation in that the seller knew the buyer well and the buyer had some past credit uses that prevented them from conventional bank financing but they could make a significant down payment. My seller friend is quite happy with his rate and the payments are coming in like clockwork.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

FIL used to do this all the time. He'd sell their home in S.W. FL. every few years. He held the paper, normally 5-10 year balloons.

Most of his buyers were new to the area couldn't get financing. This was back in the early 90s. Think he had an attorney draw up the initial paperwork. He never had any issues with buyers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you have the ability to run a credit report, please do. Do not take anyone under 650. Also, make sure that they have a solid down payment, 20%.

Anything else is just plain risky.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If I did it, I'd want a solid/detailed contract… and go the route similar to a bank, where the payment to me included property tax & insurance, so I could make sure they were kept paid.

But

I would not do it other than perhaps for family. If I sell an appreciating asset, I want to get that cash back into some appreciating asset, not have it locked into a 20 or 30 year dribble.
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote