Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

Would you worry significantly about this and would it be worth $3400 to you to take the risk of some emails being intercepted?
I'd do it for less. I get other people's mail (email and snailmail) all the time, mostly from Ireland & England, so a few namesakes across the pond. I registered multiple variations of my name on Gmail years ago. For sure one plays professional football. Invoices, photos, invites, even correspondence from an attorney.

As long as your financial email addresses are updated there should be no problem. That, and all the girlfriends...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tell them you'll take the $5,000, but they need to keep your address in an 'auto-forward', or 'vacation' mode for 18 months. Since you are using an escrow service, have them put an added $1,000 in to be returned to them at the end of 18 months if they kept the email alive (else you have no leverage with them).

They seem to want your domain, so I think they'll go along with this reasonable request.

-ERD50

Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not selling my last name dotcom for less than $500K. Though it can easily worth $100K to any domainers today.

So don’t use personalized email address if you think some day you might want to sell the domain for a couple of K.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think that as soon as you change your MX records, your email should shift to wherever you move it. Within 24 hours, it will be as if nothing happened. But I would archive everything anyway, just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you doing any sort of contract? It would be very easy to include a clause to ask them to set up a forwarding for your old email. I would open 2 new emails at your new domain, the second to accept the forwarded emails. That way you can see who is still using it, and also, you can kill if off once it is just spam (with no need to ask them to remove the forwarder). Forwarding costs no money and takes up no space on their server.

Starting over with a new email gives you the chance to get rid of spammers. I now have a few different emails for different segments (adding social media, shopping, lists, personal, clients, etc.) so that I don't have to inform all my contacts when I find I have to kill off one email because of spammers.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi, update and a question.

I have $5000 sitting in a escrow.com account waiting for me to transfer the domain name to the buyer. The domain is at godaddy.com. Do I need to have the buyer create a godaddy.com account before I transfer the domain? All I have is the buyer email, name, and business address, sent to me by escrow.com.

There was some clause on godaddy.com about a 60 day lockout from moving registrars after a name is changed on a domain account:

Please note the following:
  1. By entering into a change of registrant transaction, you acknowledge and agree that the domain name may not be transferred to another domain name registrar within sixty (60) days after the completion of the change of registrant transaction (the Transfer Prohibition Period"). Therefore, if either the Current Registrant or the New Registrant anticipate the need to transfer the domain name to another domain name registrar within sixty (60) days after completion of the change of registrant transaction, the Current Registrant and the New Registrant should make arrangements to transfer the domain name to the new domain name registrar first, and make any necessary changes to the domain name registrant second.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

IIRC, there is a domain transfer form you fill out on your godaddy account.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there a third party escrow company involved here? I hope so. If not, GoDaddy is used to acting as the go-between so that no one is defrauded.

Ask the buyer where they want to transfer the name to. If GoDaddy, then THEY should open the GoDaddy account (it's free); ask them to give you the number of their GoDaddy Account. Then it is easy to move the domain from one account to another. Note that this is NOT called a "transfer" - it is called an Account Change. Search for Account Change in Godaddy or you'll get confused by Transfer info. This is the easiest way by far. Just follow the emails that go back and forth from GoDaddy with the codes that you need. This happens within a day or two.

To transfer to another registrar, then again the buyer needs to initiate the change from their end. They put in for a Transfer, and then GoDaddy will email you. To finish the transfer, you have to do two things: Unlock the domain, and then get the Authorization Code. You send the code to the buyer, and they plug it into their transfer screen. Again, follow the emails from GoDaddy closely as it may differ slightly for each registrar. This digital handshaking could go on for a few days, so be patient.

But I would be sure the money is in a third-party escrow account that you trust. I would trust GoDaddy if it were me.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks. The money is at escrow.com which is the third party escrow company that the negotiation site domainagents uses. I had a couple of people on this thread mention they have used www.escrow.com.

Hopefully the guy will create a godaddy account as that sounds easy.