Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Thank you, travelover, for that great article! Who would-uh thunk of it?
This article also tells you something about the current economy in Michigan. I think we must be the only state with a net export from the blood banks...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dentist was kind enough to only charge me his cost for some replacement gold crowns he did for me. The actual price he was invoiced was around $70 per crown.
He showed me the material data sheets from the supplier, and the supplier offered all kinds of formulas ranging from just a few percent gold up to mine which was the most expensive and highest gold percent at 77%.

That $70 cost presumably includes the molding services, so the actual gold value is likely trivial.

I suppose this comes down to a question of how much does it cost to test products for gold percentage. I would assume the test probably costs enough that it's not worth doing for small items like crowns and normal jewelry, so getting 10-20 cents on the dollar may be a good deal.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
When I lived on the east coast, I was going to do some plumbing and a friend in the business apparently had some copper pipe fall off his truck in my driveway. ..
Bunny, is this similar to the cases of cigarettes that fall off trucks in New Jersey?

Ha
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
This article also tells you something about the current economy in Michigan. I think we must be the only state with a net export from the blood banks...
Why's that, did you guys get rid of Detroit? (see, 'cause of the high crime.. you can't convince me otherwise, I saw all of the robocop movies! and I was a yooper)
Old 02-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Bunny, is this similar to the cases of cigarettes that fall off trucks in New Jersey?
Pretty similar. I had a lot of friends in different businesses back there and often came home to a driveway full of something. Copper pipe, split hardwood, etc.

Wish I'd had a friend in the diamond and/or nubile women business. :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #26

Articles in the paper lately about people stealing copper from empty homes and buildings now. Have you seen them?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Articles in the paper lately about people stealing copper from empty homes and buildings now. Have you seen them?
Copper theft is pretty common here. Some have died trying to steal live wiring.

Huron Daily Tribune - Copper, other metal thefts on the rise across Michigan, including the Thumb

Catalytic converters from parked cars are also being stolen for the platinum content.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #28

Makes you wonder what people wouldn't steal if we went into a Depression, eh? Scary thought.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

From the darwin awards 2007 list...

(28 July 2007, Czech Republic) A pack of thieves attempted to steal scrap metal from an abandoned factory in Kladno. Unfortunately for them, they selected the steel girders that supported the factory roof. When the roof supports were dismantled, the roof fell, fatally crushing two thieves and injuring three others.

(21 June 2007, Philippines) Three entrepreneurs planned to profit from stolen scrap metal. They entered a former US military complex and approached the prize: an abandoned water tank. Bedazzled by the potential upside, the three threw logic to the wind, and began to cut the metal legs out from under the tank. Guess where it fell? Straight onto the thieves. Their flattened bodies have not yet been identified.

(31 July 1997) Two teens were disassembling an electric tower with wrenches when it toppled to the ground. They apparently wanted to sell its aluminum supports for scrap, but they failed to realize the essential role the aptly named "support" plays in a 160-foot tower. One of the men was crushed by the collapse of the ten-thousand-pound tower, while the other dug himself out from under, a sadder but wiser man from his close brush with a Darwin Award. Reference: Associated Press
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Another option for selling gold is a rare coin dealer, if you're in or near a city large enough to have one. Call your local dealer, and you'll find that many of them will buy gold of all types, not just coinage. You'll also find that these are usually reputable business people....