Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Selling my house. Could use some advice
Old 12-25-2005, 06:11 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope to have great news very soon.

I'm not superstitious but to be on the safe side, I am keeping my mouth shut!

So for those of you who are psycho psychic, or mind readers,

STAY OUT OF MY MIND.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2005, 09:16 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
There you have it MJ. $4K is way over the top. Small town* $500-$1000... NYC? Go get a small town lawyer. Have the closing in the small town,* *
I live in NYC, for my house it is $1250, however my union just sent me a benefit that it would cost $900 for closings.

When you think about it, the contract is usually boiler plate, so the attorney simply adds a line or subtracts a line to fit the case, it's no big deal.

And no way Jose should you pay anywhere near 4k, or 2K,

In closing on a sale your main concern is that the funds are ok but if they are not, then you simply take the house back. The purchaser is obligated to fulfill his part of the contract, and that is to PAY you, otherwise the house reverts back to you. I know someone will give me flack on this one.

No need to worry much. The Buyer has to worry more about what's wrong with the house, and usually has to buy Title insurance to make sure there are no liens on the property. You just take the cash and leave the old headache to the other guy.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:22 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi MJ:

I'm on my 10th property, and have sold about half on my own (FSBO) and maybe 3 or 4 with full-rate (6%) realtor, and one or two with companies that charge around 3% to get you in MLS, but maybe let you show it yourself etc.* I tried the last sale with a $150 FSBO service, but it finally took the MLS to bring in a buyer from out of state. It usually won't hurt to give it a try via FSBO for a month or two..

A big factor is how hot the market is; how "attractive" the house is (curb appeal etc -some houses almost sell themselves); and how busy a street etc.

regarding lawyers, I usually just look in the yellow pages for a real estate attorney and it shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars. In fact, I think I've done it (sell) without one, as the buyers' mortgage company often will set up the closing statement and do the closing.

As for checking the buyers' credit, you should be able to call their mortgage co. and talk to the person handling their case and ask them if they're qualified and to what level etc.

I don't know if I've added anything of value..(hope so).....

By the way, I wanted to ask you about your impressions of Thailand as a potential retirement haven. What do you think? Do you see yourself living there full-time? (maybe that's why you're selling??)* Part-time? Another vacation? On to another country next time?

Thanks and good luck!

-pb
Old 12-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #44

I went to another neighbor and he recommended the attorney he used to buy his house. The attorney will be charging me $950.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:50 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I looked at a condo listed on "I Sold My House.com". The owners were a bit disingenuous - they dropped a number of the taxes, and ignored my question about a special assessment (which was $8,400!).

Totally turned me off - what else weren't they telling me?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:50 PM   #46

After listing the house with a realtor for 3 months (and rejecting 3 offers), my neighbor lowered the price and tried "I Sold My House.com". After 2 years of on-again-off-again ... it's still unsold.

Another reason to hire someone to do the job ... it'll get done.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I went to another neighbor and he recommended the attorney he used to buy his house. The attorney will be charging me $950.
Based on all of the real estate I've bought and sold, I must have
saved about a bazillion dollars.

JG