Join Early Retirement Today

Selling my house part 2
Old 01-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Selling my house part 2

As I mentioned in another thread I started, I am selling my house without a broker. Since this is 1st home that I bought and now am selling, I am new on the proper rules that one should follow. I started speaking to a few neighbors about my intention.
A neighbor brought over a buyer that met the price I was asking. He gave me a large deposit check which I haven't cashed yet. There was no written agreement. I was happy with the deal at that time. The following morning, a 2nd buyer knocked on my door and was interested in my house too. He voluntaired to up the price by $30k. I contacted the 1st buyer and he matched the increase. I then contacted the 2nd buyer he again up the price by $30k but said he would not go any further.

Who should get the sale, the 2nd buyer who was willing to increase the price or the 1st buyer who only matched the price?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Selling my house part 2
Old 01-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #2

This is a legal question more than anything else, particularly if the "losing" buyer decides to sue you. I would be extremely careful in how you tell the "losing" buyer, whomever that turns out to be.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I've not sold a house, but if I am selling something and I tell someone they've got a deal, then they've got a deal even if someone comes along with more money later.

If you told the first party "I'll take this deposit, but you are the first person to look and if someone comes along with more money by this date, I'm not going to be held to selling it to you at this price" that's one thing. *If you told them "I'm taking your deposit and you've bought the house for XXX amount" it seems like that person just bought your house, subject to them coming up with the rest of the money in the agreed upon time frame.

cheers,
Michael
Old 01-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MJ, get a real estate lawyer ASAP and have that person sort this out.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

The Statute of Frauds (which I think is federal) dictates that real estate transactions can only occur in written form...says my Realtor husband. Even a verbal acceptance is just a prelude to a written contract. You can google for more information, but I would check with a real estate attorney to be sure.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #6

In my life once someone shakes my hand and we have a deal I expect both parties to live up to the agreement.

I would hate to take a 30K loss but a deal is a deal and a hand shake is an oath, to me at least.

Now if the first buyer is willing to take the higher price the house should be his.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
As I mentioned in another thread I started, I am selling my house without a broker. Since this is 1st home that I bought and now am selling, I am new on the proper rules that one should follow. I started speaking to a few neighbors about my intention.
A neighbor brought over a buyer that met the price I was asking. He gave me a large deposit check which I haven't cashed yet. There was no written agreement. I was happy with the deal at that time. The following morning, a 2nd buyer knocked on my door and was interested in my house too. He voluntaired to up the price by $30k. I* contacted the 1st buyer and he matched the increase. I then contacted the 2nd buyer he again up the price by $30k but said he would not go any further.

Who should get the sale, the 2nd buyer who was willing to increase the price or the 1st buyer who only matched the price?
The first buyer made a big mistake! He assumed you were a man of integrity, and didn't insist on a written contract after you both agreed on the price of the property.

The first buyer, regardless how this plays out, will get the biggest education!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
A neighbor brought over a buyer that met the price I was asking. He gave me a large deposit check which I haven't cashed yet. There was no written agreement. I was happy with the deal at that time. The following morning, a 2nd buyer knocked on my door and was interested in my house too. He voluntaired to up the price by $30k. I contacted the 1st buyer and he matched the increase. I then contacted the 2nd buyer he again up the price by $30k but said he would not go any further.

The first buyer should get the house at the original price! - You had a verbal agreement and he wrote a check. I would not be able to look myself in the mirror if I charged him $30K more than the original agreement.

You made a deal man - You stick to it, even if it hurts you $30K. - You'll sleep better at night!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Although I stated the law (or what I think it is), I would go with the original offer from the first guy. Did you do your homework before you set your "asking price"? Sometimes not using a Realtor doesn't really save you any money.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
The buyer that met the price you were asking, period. *Doesn't mean a thing that you didn't cash the check. *Do the right thing for God's sake. *
Old 01-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #11

Ouch!
Old 01-03-2006, 07:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

The first buyer should get the house at the original price!* - You had a verbal agreement and he wrote a check. I would not be able to look myself in the mirror if I charged him $30K more than the original agreement.

You made a deal man - You stick to it, even if it hurts you $30K. - You'll sleep better at night!
Even though all real estate agreements MUST be in writing to be
enforced, I agree with C-T 100% on this. There was a time when
the most valuable thing a man possessed was his honor.

JG
Old 01-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

An agreement to sell real property is usually invalid if not in writing. I'm not offering legal advice, but the Statute of Frauds was created to protect naiive sellers from their ill-considered mistakes. Consult a real estate attorney if you turn away that first seller.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew894
The baby boomers have made honor a quaint little notion of a bygone era.* Honor has been replaced with a myriad of rules, regulations, statutes, laws, fines, penalties, etc.* Follow the rules.* That's why they are there.* If there's no written contract, there is no agreement.* This isn't 1940, when honor was important because there were fewer laws and regulations and a man's word was sacred.* Business in this country is now a free for all, within the confines of said rules and regulations, of course.
I'll have to admit Dave makes a good argument. I'll stick with my first
position though. Call me old-fashioned.

JG
Old 01-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

MJ - how far away are you moving?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #16

Quote:
The baby boomers have made honor a quaint little notion of a bygone era. Honor has been replaced with a myriad of rules, regulations, statutes, laws, fines, penalties, etc. Follow the rules. That's why they are there. If there's no written contract, there is no agreement. This isn't 1940, when honor was important because there were fewer laws and regulations and a man's word was sacred. Business in this country is now a free for all, within the confines of said rules and regulations, of course.
Spoken like a man that has never kept his word!

- When you are at the end of your life friend, honor is all you'll have!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #17

Quote:
The baby boomers made it so they don't have to worry about such trivial issues (and can feel good at the end of their lives).* Personally, I think the system sucks (if you haven't been able to tell by my previous posts) and I would have loved to have lived in the time where honor and a man's word meant something.* I didn't make these rules, I was born into them.* One can't be held to a higher standard and expect to compete... that's simply a fools game.* *
Hey C-T, in spite of my fondness for the "good old days", this guy
is makin' some sense. Could be because he's an accountant I
suppose (the old "Accountant to Accountant Respect" Rule) ?
Anyway, I'm staying the course (keep your word) even though I see
his point.

JG
Old 01-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
- When you are at the end of your life friend, honor is all you'll have!
C-T, your statement reminded me of a recent news article. Here's a real man of honor...

Daughters killed to save ‘honor’
Alleged adultery by family member enraged Pakistani

MULTAN, Pakistan — Nazir Ahmed appeared calm and unrepentant as he recounted how he slit the throats of his three young daughters and their 25-year old stepsister to salvage his family’s “honor.”

...“We are poor people, and we have nothing else to protect but our honor,” he said.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...d/13504438.htm

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Hey C-T, in spite of my fondness for the "good old days", this guy
is makin' some sense.* Could be because he's an accountant I
suppose (the old "Accountant to Accountant Respect" Rule) ?
Anyway, I'm staying the course (keep your word) even though I see
his point.

JG
Well I'm a bean counter too but I don't buy it. You accept a check, the deal is done. Yeah, there are loop holes in life but that doesn't make it right.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
C-T, your statement reminded me of a recent news article.* Here's a real man of honor...

Daughters killed to save ‘honor’
Alleged adultery by family member enraged Pakistani

MULTAN, Pakistan — Nazir Ahmed appeared calm and unrepentant as he recounted how he slit the throats of his three young daughters and their 25-year old stepsister to salvage his family’s “honor.”

...“We are poor people, and we have nothing else to protect but our honor,” he said.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...d/13504438.htm

This is getting too rough for me.

Elvis has left the building.................