Looks like we're going to rent the place again. (Rental accounting question (long post)
) The new tenants are coming over next Wednesday to sign a lease and start unloading their truck. We never even stuck a FSBO sign in the yard, and next week would've been our first open house.
I think we did more minor maintenance & upgrades on this place in three weeks than I've done in some shipyards in a month. We even got to leak-check the attic during a torrential downpour (three inches in an hour), where we discovered a couple nasty little drips. One has been coming in around the gas water heater's exhaust pipe for at least 12 years. The drips drilled a little quarter-inch hole through the drywall ceiling into the master bedroom-- luckily onto a high closet shelf where no one noticed it. But I bet the previous tenant and my mother-in-law were wondering what made those funny stains on some of their clothes or shoes.
The roofer's the same guy who put in the solar exhaust fans a couple weeks ago. Both fans seemed to have condensation drips under their photovoltaic panels, which plopped through the fan blades to make shallow puddles on the ceiling drywall. I'm not sure if there's a fix for that, other than putting a couple sheets of plywood under the splash zone to absorb the water and dry out. Plenty of ventilation in the attic now, so no mold or mildew concerns.
We did decide to reface the cabinets in both bathrooms and upgrade to RTF doors/drawers. But we'll start on that next month and do the install on tenant time. The nice thing about the project is that we'll get new doors with the hinges already installed and the templates ready to be drilled into the existing cabinets. And although the style will still be 30 years old, at least it'll look good for another 20.
Anyway we're almost at the end of our two-page punchlist, and Monday morning I'll be setting up the utilities to transfer to the tenants...