Join Early Retirement Today

Selling two houses?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Selling two houses?

The topic "Own two houses?" inspired me to ask what I thought was a simple question? How does one take the max allowable deduction of $500,000 when selling two homes?

I downloaded and read IRS pub. 523 and confess I still don't get it. To qualify the home must be your primary residence for 2 of the past 5 years, ok. But say I want to sell my primary in NY. I establish residency in NC, say today. Two years down the road can I sell both houses as primary residences?

The IRS pub. says you can only sell a primary residence every 2 years. Does that mean if I sell the NY house 2 years from now, that the clock restarts for the NC house?

My got-rich-quick neighbor sold his old beach house for a zillion dollars and moved inland and built a mansion. Same guy got-poor-quick when he found out last week his capital gains were astonomical. His beach house didn't meet the critera to be a primary residence. Dumb move.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Selling two houses?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in a similar situation.* As I understand it, you can only have one primary residence at a time.* After you sell your primary residence, you have to wait 2 years to sell your next primary residence if you want to avoid capital gains tax.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
The IRS pub. says you can only sell a primary residence every 2 years. Does that mean if I sell the NY house 2 years from now, that the clock restarts for the NC house?
If you sell your NY house 2 years from now and still have the NC house, you will have to wait 2 years before selling your NC house.

I am not an accountant, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express, but that is the way it was explained to me.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #3

I understand it the way Tomz does.

But if you sell your primary now and move into the other house, you can sell the other one 2 years after you sell the first house.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
But if you sell your primary now and move into the other house, you can sell the other one 2 years after you sell the first house.*
The key to the tax-free cap gains is that you have to live in the house for two years before selling it.

I think that the legislative tax break is a primary cause of the rapid rise in RE values. I'll bet that many of today's sellers were previously waiting until they were older than the qualifying age, and I doubt that many of today's flippers would even have considered the idea in the days before they had a reasonable chance to avoid cap gains altogether.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yah, Tom has it right.

It is a two part rule. (1) You have to live in the home for 2 of the past five years. (2) You can only shelter gain from the sale of a home once every two years.

Page 16 of pub 523.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #6

poopies.