Senior Citizen Driving Courses

It's true, or at least used to be. My mother took one and the insurance company did drop her rates a bit but I don't remember by how much.

The course mainly focused on dealing with fading eyesight affecting night driving, decreased reaction times and the like.

For a big enough discount I might swallow my pride enough to take one when I'm old enough for it to matter. But this is a guy who has taught pursuit driving.

State Farm seems to have a much smaller discount in CA. I'm not sure
what the amount is.....I'm guessing 5% (10 tops)....small enough that I
didn't rush out and do it...... but as a friend commented, the biggest benefit
may not be monetary but just being reminded that as you age, you should
act it and beware of the diminishing physical/mental skills so that you can
still be safe on the road.

Dang, another school I'm not old enough to attend! Our teen (with her learner's permit) qualifies for more insurance discounts than we do...

I see that it's all online/at home, but I was hoping to get in some racetrack time in one of those "old suits" with the stiff joints, motion inhibitors, earplugs, and cataract lenses. Bummer.

I wish there was an insurance discount for attending "Skip Barber's Racing School".

DH (is that husband?) and I took it and saved $100.00 on our car insurance. I think the savings depends on where you are and how much you pay. It was boring BUT I agree that it is a good reminder of things to be aware of as you age.

Back
Top Bottom