Join Early Retirement Today

Senior Discount Central~Post all discounts here
Old 01-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Senior Discount Central~Post all discounts here

I thought that I would start this as a result of the post below on another thread.

Quote:
Quote:
Sorta like the "senior discounts" that are available to us now.
Seems like this would be a good time to start a thread that captures all known "senior discounts" that there are in the world.

RE: Burger King~They offer a "senior drink" for 25 cents. It comes in a smallish cup however, you get unlimited self-serve refills so it's really a bottomless drink. (I was offered this deal when I was about age 55 or so when a BK worker, about age 16 or so, assumed that I was a senior. Ever since that time I have asked for a "senior drink" and was given a cup as described above.) Similar deal @ Whataburger (for TX folks).

Your turn....

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'll post as soon as I get back from Burger King
Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Many fast food joints offer a senior discount of some sort. They rarely offer it to you unless you ask - so ask "Do you offer a senior discount?". The worst outcome is your bill stays the same.

Most restaurants have a senior menu. If you don't see it, ask if one is available.

Next...
Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'll post as soon as I get back from Burger King
MacDonald's sells a senior coffee. It seems to vary in price- most of the McD's I go to it is about a buck whereas my brother who lives near Ft. Worth pays about 25 cents.

Value Village gives a senior discount- 10 or 15% as I remember. Ross Stores gives senior discount, I believe my store is 10% on a certain day of the week only. (Tuesday?)

The best is senior discounts on travel. King County Metro lets me ride anywhere, anytime, for 50 cents. Southwest Air has a senior rate which is usually but not always less than whatever other rate you might find.

On Metro, the age is 65- I believe SW Air is the same. For Metro I had to prove my age and pay $3 for a lifetime pass. If I am feeling good and look young some drivers will ask to see it. Mostly they do not.

When I was younger I hated it when I was offered a discount, but I like it now.

Ha
Old 01-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #5

Here is one of the best travel discounts around.

The National Park Service offers the America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass for $80.

If you are 62 they offer the same pass for $10 - and it is good for the rest of your life!

The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.

National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass
Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've never understood why age discrimination in general pricing is legal when it's not legal for gender or race or religion or sexual orientation or marital status or......
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've never understood why age discrimination in general pricing is legal when it's not legal for gender or race or religion or sexual orientation or marital status or......
My guess is at one point in time people had respect for their elders and choose to cut them a break.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

DH got free tea at Whataburger. The age requirement was 55 and he was 54. They didn't ask his age, they just automatically gave it to him! I laughed so hard...poor guy.

When I become a senior citizen many years from now, I'll let you know what deals I get.....
Old 01-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
My guess is at one point in time people had respect for their elders and choose to cut them a break.
Yeah, let's "respect" Warren Buffett by giving him 20% off of a meal when some other younger working-class schmuck pays full fare. Sorry, but I don't buy it. There are other ways to show deference and respect than discriminating on price.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Yeah, let's "respect" Warren Buffett by giving him 20% off of a meal when some other younger working-class schmuck pays full fare. Sorry, but I don't buy it. There are other ways to show deference and respect than discriminating on price.
Does it bother you children get a cheaper rate on certain things also?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I received a senior discount at a west coast fast food joint and .....

I'm not anywhere near a senior age.

Should I ....

a) be happy to pay less or

b) be offended that someone thinks I look much older than I am?
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
I received a senior discount at a west coast fast food joint and .....

I'm not anywhere near a senior age.

Should I ....

a) be happy to pay less or

b) be offended that someone thinks I look much older than I am?
Did you return the money?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dang Ziggy...come by my house and I'll give you a free drink anytime....
Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You must not be a senior.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Does it bother you children get a cheaper rate on certain things also?
Sometimes -- at least when their age has nothing to do with the cost of providing the goods and services, I think it's a little shady.

If you're at an all-you-can-eat buffet where kids under 12 eat half as much as adults on average, I have no problem with charging half-price. (That's the same model insurance works on, more or less.)

By the same token, if on average, seniors at an all-you-can-eat buffet demonstrably eat 20% less, I'm okay with a 20% discount. But I don't understand why it's okay to charge different prices for the SAME level of goods and services. And I don't know why it's okay that I can't order off the senior menu or the kids' menu if the item/quantity I want is on that menu.

It's not okay for race, or gender, or marital status, or sexual orientation or religion. We don't allow a "15% white discount" or a "20% Jewish discount." And yes, I understand the counter-argument -- you can't "eventually become" white if you're Asian, you can't "eventually become" a man if you're a woman, and if you're true to your faith you can't "eventually become" a Christian if you're a Jew. But you can "eventually become" a senior citizen regardless of those things if you're fortunate enough to live that long. I get that. But it still doesn't seem right when the cost of providing the goods or services have nothing to do with age.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sometimes -- at least when their age has nothing to do with the cost of providing the goods and services, I think it's a little shady.

If you're at an all-you-can-eat buffet where kids under 12 eat half as much as adults on average, I have no problem with charging half-price. (That's the same model insurance works on, more or less.)

By the same token, if on average, seniors at an all-you-can-eat buffet demonstrably eat 20% less, I'm okay with a 20% discount. But I don't understand why it's okay to charge different prices for the SAME level of goods and services. And I don't know why it's okay that I can't order off the senior menu or the kids' menu if the item/quantity I want is on that menu.

It's not okay for race, or gender, or marital status, or sexual orientation or religion. We don't allow a "15% white discount" or a "20% Jewish discount." And yes, I understand the counter-argument -- you can't "eventually become" white if you're Asian, you can't "eventually become" a man if you're a woman, and if you're true to your faith you can't "eventually become" a Christian if you're a Jew. But you can "eventually become" a senior citizen regardless of those things if you're fortunate enough to live that long. I get that. But it still doesn't seem right when the cost of providing the goods or services have nothing to do with age.
Perhaps you should enter politics and make this your platform. You should do really well.

Ha
Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #17

You folks are witnessing one of the reasons I love this forum. Where else can you see such an impassioned discussion break out on the subject of senior discounts?

And it's FREE! You don't even have to be (or pretend to be) a senior citizen to qualify!

Yep, your entertainment dollar goes a long way here on E-R.org.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Many fast food joints offer a senior discount of some sort. They rarely offer it to you unless you ask - so ask "Do you offer a senior discount?". The worst outcome is your bill stays the same.

Most restaurants have a senior menu. If you don't see it, ask if one is available.

Next...
Be sure to bring a copy of your 1st SS check as proof.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #19

Im pretty speechless Yes, good quality entertainment for free
Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Be sure to bring a copy of your 1st SS check as proof.
I'm a technogeezer - direct deposit.