Join Early Retirement Today

Senior Discounts
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Senior Discounts

I recently read that there was a web site (seniordiscounts.com, I think) that was the best source for finding a comprehensive list of how and when retail establishments offered discounts to seniors. I've been wonderiing for several years how to find out about this without having to ask everywhere when and if they provide a discount (a bit embarrassing). Unfortunately that web site charges a fee for membership/access.

Does anyone use this site? Are there other ways to find out where the best discounts are, and at what age?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't use it, and won't if I have to pay in order to do so.

I usually find out about senior discounts in conversations with other seniors. If it's a good discount, the word gets around. I'm sure I miss some.

Edited to add: About.com has a list of senior discounts here, that may be helpful.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
I've been wonderiing for several years how to find out about this without having to ask everywhere when and if they provide a discount (a bit embarrassing).
What is embarrassing about asking if a retailer offers special pricing since so many do?

Heck, if you want, I'll lend you my cap:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg senior discount.jpg (9.0 KB, 309 views)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the cap. But since I'm only 54, I'm not sure if I qualify for a discount anywhere. But I'm an AARP member, that should count for something!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Packman, I started asking about your age and I was never "carded".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking the cashier a simple question when you check out: "Do you offer a Senior Discount?" 99/100 of the time the answer is either "Yes, sure" or "Sorry, we don't offer a Senior Discount".

Very few places will give a discount if you don't ask, no mater how "senior" you are...
Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Very few places will give a discount if you don't ask, no mater how "senior" you are...
My grocery store before Hurricane Katrina offered a 10% senior discount for 55+ on Wednesdays. I'd go there every week, get the same cashiers, but each time had to say, "I'm a senior" in order to get it. I guess their policy was not to ask anyone or assume anything, to avoid offending anyone.

Unfortunately, Katrina damaged it badly. Shortly thereafter it went belly up, and was bought by another chain that doesn't offer senior discounts (I asked).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Unless I would go someplace anyway, I don't worry about Sr. discounts (up front). However, I do ask for them just about every place. I no longer ask what age they consider "senior". I figure they have to tell ME what it is. I wouldn't lie to get it, but I wouldn't correct them if they gave it to me by mistake. In any case, what 19 year old clerk/cashier is going to ask my age? I've had a couple of "older" folks ask my age - to which I answered truthfully, even if it cost me 10%. One gal just said "You don't look 65." (I was 63 at the time). I responded "Why, THANK YOU, young lady!" She gave me the discount without pinning me down. I felt no guilt as I had not lied nor did she specifically state what the age limit was. I left the judgement to the cashier. Perhaps a fine moral line, but I believe I played the game well and was rewarded accordingly.

10% discount isn't enough to make me go out of my way for most things for which senior discounts are routine (meals mostly), but if I can get it without lying, I will.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

This reminds me about something that happened to my wife (who is 52) after she got her haircut recently and went to the cashier and was asked if she was a senior. They were just trying to be nice to her since she goes there often. I think it screwed up her whole weekend. Guess it must be different for men from women. Wish they'd ask me that!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Senior discounts I like: Burgerville (a NW organic hamburger & other dishes chain headquartered in Vancouver, WA - tasty food) and Pharmaca which offers senior discounts on Tuesday (DIL sends me there to buy grand-kids vitamins).

Qualification for the discount is not an issue but to hear that they don't think I am that old makes my day (I will be 70 within a couple weeks). Now if they would only ask for ID when purchasing booze...
Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Senior discounts I like: Burgerville (a NW organic hamburger & other dishes chain headquartered in Vancouver, WA - tasty food) and Pharmaca which offers senior discounts on Tuesday (DIL sends me there to buy grand-kids vitamins).

Qualification for the discount is not an issue but to hear that they don't think I am that old makes my day (I will be 70 within a couple weeks). Now if they would only ask for ID when purchasing booze...
My faves-Uwajimaya 10% off all purchases on Tuesday, and Metro buses- 75 cents any time of day. I bought a tuna steak for dinner there today, and rode to and from on 75 cents total.

Ha
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The senior discount for Seattle area transit can't be beat. That card is one I will carry to my grave!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I recently read that there was a web site (seniordiscounts.com, I think) that was the best source for finding a comprehensive list of how and when retail establishments offered discounts to seniors. I've been wonderiing for several years how to find out about this without having to ask everywhere when and if they provide a discount (a bit embarrassing). Unfortunately that web site charges a fee for membership/access.

Does anyone use this site? Are there other ways to find out where the best discounts are, and at what age?
Best deal, is at McDonalds. Here in the Silicon Valley, California.

Senior Coffee runs from 38 cents to 75 cents. Also, free refills.

Consumer Reports did a test a few years back. McDonalds beat Starbucks.

I have had Petes,and Starbucks, taste the same to me.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Consumer Reports did a test a few years back. McDonalds beat Starbucks.
Must be an individual preference thing.
DW and I have always agreed that McDonalds coffee was probably the worst tasting swill on the planet. When they switched to a newer form a couple of years ago, we tried it again, and although it's slightly improved, it is still definitely not worth buying at any price.

Back on track: here in Ohio, the state issues a "golden buckeye" card to seniors that gets you a small discount at an amazing array of retail establishments.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

our local supercuts gives a senior discount. The girl asked me if I was a senior and as I opened my mouth to respond, she quickly said "close enough" and took two dollars off. I gave it back to her in a tip.

AAA and AARP have lists of discounts. Sometimes the AARP rate in a hotel is actually cheaper so I try both cards when making reservations.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't forget that often the cashier is a teenager working part-time. Anyone over 45 or so looks old to them. So, they won't hesitate to give senior discount if the establishment offers one.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
...after she got her haircut recently and went to the cashier and was asked if she was a senior. They were just trying to be nice to her since she goes there often. I think it screwed up her whole weekend. Guess it must be different for men from women. Wish they'd ask me that!
It certainly seems to be. DW (age 63) is "offended" when offered a senior discount.

I'm (same age) offended if I'm not ...

Remember - "I'm not as good as I once was - but I'm once good as I ever was" ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My grocery store before Hurricane Katrina offered a 10% senior discount for 55+ on Wednesdays.
My grocery does the same on Wednesdays. The problem is that their delivery truck for fruits and vegetables and other short shelf life items arrives on Thursdays. So, in my opinion, what they are doing is trying to use seniors to sell off stuff that is at the end of it's shelf life. It's not worth the 10% discount to buy old produce.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #18

Quote:
I like the cap. But since I'm only 54, I'm not sure if I qualify for a discount anywhere. But I'm an AARP member, that should count for something!
Packman - you're lucky. In less than a year, all kinds of discounts will open up for you. From what I've seen, the senior discounts begin at age 55. Ross Dress For Less offers 10% to 55 and over on Tuesdays, and my local market (Grocery Outlet) offers 10% to 55 and over twice a month. Not that I want to instantly be 8 years older (I'm 47) but it gives me something to look forward to
Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #19

Some of the banks that we go to offer senior discounts at 50. Best offer I've seen is a free safe deposit box and free no fee checking accounts with free checks! Can't beat that, almost everyone can use a safe deposit box, I'm sure it's the smallest one, but no annual fee is a great thing and free checking accounts with free checks are becoming a thing of the past.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #20

Heck, I ain't shy! I almost always ask if there is a senior discount wherever I go! The worst that can happen is that they'll say no, but many times they say yes! At restaurants I check the menu for the 'senior meals' or look to see if there's a senior discount mentioned. If I don't see it, I ask....I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty. Ah, who am I kidding....I'm cheap!!! Ha!

I always book our hotel reservations online, and check for 'senior', 'AARP', or 'retired' rates first thing. If I don't find them, I call the 800 number and ask. I also check their 'Best Rate' and compare it with the other rates offered. Upon check-in at the hotels, very few have ever asked for any verification to receive the quoted rate, but a few have asked to see my AARP card or proof that I was retired (I have a Union Retiree card).

At fast food joints, I just tell them I'll have the senior whatever....most of the places have senior drinks 1/2 off regular price (with refills). At Burger King senior drinks are 49¢ (coffee or soda).

When we go to Florida, we usually make a trip to Beall's to shop. Every Tuesday at Beall's is "50 & Fabulous" senior discount day.....an extra 15% off everything 'in store'. They usually have some pretty good sales going when we're there too, so if we find somethings we want we get another 15% off the sale price! Hard to beat! I like Columbia brand clothes, and when we they had a Columbia sale....IIRC, 20-40% off. Take off the extra 15%, and I bought about $200 worth of clothes for around $88!

I senior discounts!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote