Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Nothing I dislike more than being around a bunch of people just like me...
Reminds me of the old Groucho Marx quote about not wanting to join any club that would have him as a member...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Recently resumed playing golf. Last week when were were at the pro shop register to pay green fees, my retired neighbor reminded me I qualified for senior discount. Sad in a way that I now qualified for that senior discount, but depressed that the asst pro did not even ask to see my ID

Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Any senior discount that means I have to be some place at a specific time is an automatic no-go for me. Nothing I dislike more than being around a bunch of people just like me...
Like Applebees well publicized Veterans Day free dinner for vets. No way I would venture out into that circus.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Sad in a way that I now qualified for that senior discount, but depressed that the asst pro did not even ask to see my ID
Yeah, I don't even get carded to buy wine anymore.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
Like Applebees well publicized Veterans Day free dinner for vets. No way I would venture out into that circus.
Or waiting an hour in line to get a free $3 cone at Ben and Jerry's on their "free cone day". I'd pay $20 to avoid a line like that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Any senior discount that means I have to be some place at a specific time is an automatic no-go for me. Nothing I dislike more than being around a bunch of people just like me...
I'll sometimes "play their silly little game" as long as it also fits my schedule/life AND nets me savings on something I wanted in the first place. Oh, and for whatever strange reason, I've always enjoyed the company of folks my age and actually older. Sad that I am now losing life-long (my life) friends who are in the generation before me. I have found great wisdom and comfort from such folks and nothing beats talking over dinner/coffee with the elders - which I'm rapidly becoming. Getting a discount as well appeals to my frugal nature. It also empowers me to go out more often. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seahawks Logo.jpg
I haven't confirmed if Albertsons grocery stores indeed have a 10% senior discount, but they do take 10% off your total purchase on Seattle Seahawks' game days--if you wear a Seahawks jersey to the store ("restrictions apply"). A hat, jacket or simple T-shirt doesn't suffice. And this is not restricted to seniors either.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
Admit I have gone to a Vet's Day celebration at Applebee's. Enjoyed the atmosphere of hangin' with other vets, swappin' duty experiences with folks I'd never met before, & seeing a few guys/gals tryin' to squeeze back into uniform (some more successfully than others ). The free meal was just an excuse to get the vets together.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #29

These schemes all shift costs to lower income groups - those younger than 55 or so. I'd like to see some stores start offering youth discounts & see how seniors like that. The age discrimination complaints would be out of sight.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #30

I got my first senior discount today at the local supermarket. I asked the cashier what was going on when the screen started lighting up with reduced prices. She said "oh, that's your senior discount"...I was pleased, and bummed at the same time...

R
Old 10-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Recently resumed playing golf. Last week when were were at the pro shop register to pay green fees, my retired neighbor reminded me I qualified for senior discount. Sad in a way that I now qualified for that senior discount, but depressed that the asst pro did not even ask to see my ID
That course could use a lesson in Marketing 101... course I play has a younger woman working there who, whenever she is handling the green fees, always mentions the senior discount and asks if you are old enough to qualify for it, even to people who go there regularly and joke about it. The flattery gets here everywhere was she also asks if there are any other items they need, and those who are flattered seem to end up buying a few additional items.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #32

I cannot wait to use DH's senior discounts!!! He is not happy about it, but in four months we will be getting the AARP magazine
Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
My local Kroger offers no senior discount.

omni
Our local Kroger chain (Fry's) does offer a 10% discount for 55+ on the first Wednesday of the month but have only used it a couple times, don't usually do my grocery shopping on Wednesday.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #34

Only thing we seem to use is to buy most groceries on Thursday which is 5% off over 60 at Harris Teeter. Which I HATE has been bought by Kroger. Sorry is that offends any Kroger devotees.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I got my first senior discount today at the local supermarket. I asked the cashier what was going on when the screen started lighting up with reduced prices. She said "oh, that's your senior discount"...I was pleased, and bummed at the same time...

R
Why keep it a secret? Tell us all where you are getting the discount.

Also, read in the newspaper and was told by a WalMart employee, that they will honor any BOGO given at any other supermarket. Haven't tried it yet.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #36

Another one of note that happened. We go Steak and Shake quite often. Love their burgers ans shakes. We used to have a seniors discount card but lost it some time back. As usual, today after our lunch, I asked the cashier for out discount. No problem she said. I asked her, why did you eliminate the discount cards? She told me that if people don't ask for the discount, they don't volunteer it and they are saving money by not printing the cards. Why give money away when it's not asked for or expected. She has a point. I'll bet they pick up at least $1M a year by just not giving out the automatic discount. Ask for it, you got it. Otherwise, no.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Another one of note that happened. We go Steak and Shake quite often. Love their burgers ans shakes. We used to have a seniors discount card but lost it some time back. As usual, today after our lunch, I asked the cashier for out discount. No problem she said. I asked her, why did you eliminate the discount cards? She told me that if people don't ask for the discount, they don't volunteer it and they are saving money by not printing the cards. Why give money away when it's not asked for or expected. She has a point. I'll bet they pick up at least $1M a year by just not giving out the automatic discount. Ask for it, you got it. Otherwise, no.
Oooooohhh! Steak and Shake!! Whenever I return to the midwest, I have to hit S & S at least once a week. Love their SteakBurgers, thin and crispy fires and just adore their chili. World's finest, IMHO. You are right, more and more restaurants (and other retail businesses) require you to ask for the discount. The "official" excuse I got from a manger once (someplace, not S & S) was "We don't want to insult anyone by assuming they are over our Sr. age limit." Okay, I buy that, but I'm sure it saves them a bundle, heh, heh.

JOHNNIE, thanks for the tasty memories!! Just about 9 more months or so and I'll be back at S & S.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #38

I just moved to MA in July. One of the bennies here is the Senior Charlie Card on the T (subway and commuter rail system). (Background: the plastic cards that you use on the system and add money to are called Charlie Cards. Named after Charlie who needed "one more nickel" from the old Kingston Trio song.) The Senior Charlie cards are for those over 65. With them you get subway rides for $1 a trip (vs. $2 or $2.50) and commuter rail fares at 50% (fare is related to distance.) The only problem is that you have to go to a central T office and get your photo taken since they obviously don't want non-eligible riders using Senior cards.

My wife and I went to dinner in Boston a few weeks ago. $7 to park at the T station in Braintree and a total of $4 in T fares. Much better than hassling with Boston traffic and probably paying $20 to park in a garage on a Saturday night.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I just moved to MA in July. One of the bennies here is the Senior Charlie Card on the T
Very good point.
I go to DC often enough that last year I got one of their senior Metro discount cards to use on my visits. The savings are huge!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #40

Lot's of places have student discounts.

I was very thankful for those when I was a poor college student.

I think I'd feel a little funny taking a senior discount while having substantial wealth. Of course, not having a job will probably change my feelings of what "wealthy" is substantially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
These schemes all shift costs to lower income groups - those younger than 55 or so. I'd like to see some stores start offering youth discounts & see how seniors like that. The age discrimination complaints would be out of sight.