Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quick... submit for your refund now. They have a 100% guarantee. No need to uninstall the software either.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I am one of the weirdos who think that paying 20 odd dollars a year for Quicken is good value considering the software's capabilities and the use I get from it. YMMV.
+1 - I don't see the big deal over this. About $0.38 / week.
. . . and anybody not getting value can stop using it and not renew.

By now we all should know the one we buy in 2011 will stop working in 2014.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if I should go find my 2000 version and use it...
Old 01-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
PS: I'm also one of those weirdo's who have Carbonite rather than copying data and taking the copies to the bank every few weeks (if you have a backup drive, you still have risk if you keep it on your property). Since I was responsible for the data center DRP for a time at my previous j*b, I've learned that it's much easier to have somebody else do the work, if the price is reasonable (did I mention I'm FI?)
I get so sick of reading Kim Komando's happy happy joy joy "user testimonials". Any real user feedback on its reliability, flaws, and encryption?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

It wasn't the cost that bothered me about Quicken, it was the bugs that were never addressed.

I switched to Moneydance a few months ago. It has some bugs also, but here's the difference:

Report a Quicken bug ----> [nothing]

Report a Moneydance bug ----> Thanks, Mr. TromboneAl, we have replicated that bug here, and it will be fixed in the next release, which is due out soon. We appreciate your taking the time to report this problem. Please let us know if we can help you with our product in any way.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #26

Understand, there are some annoying bugs in Quicken.

The one thing I didn't get was that the OP in her intro said they are worth a little north of a million, earn $250K in salaries working from home, spend $80K / year, and gave herself a major self-inflicted wedgie over having to get a new version of Quicken because "I use Quicken for EVERYTHING...".

Lisa, stop, take a deep breath -- the sky is not falling. Spending 60 bucks is not going to throw your retirement plans off the rails.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Ah, but she has over a million dollars because she gets upset being forced to pay for something she doesn't really want.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Ah, but she has over a million dollars because she gets upset being forced to pay for something she doesn't really want.
I knew there was something to that "Millionaire Next Door" thing....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have Quicken 2010 - I can't find any info about how long it will download stock quotes before I need to buy a new version. 2 years? 3 years?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #30

Seems to be three years.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
I have Quicken 2010 - I can't find any info about how long it will download stock quotes before I need to buy a new version. 2 years? 3 years?
Per their support policy, this should work until late April 2013 if the same schedule is maintained as in the past:

Quicken Discontinuation Policy - Quicken® Support

Quote:
Here are the dates older versions of Quicken were retired:
  • Quicken 2008 (Win) -- April 27, 2011
  • Quicken 2007 (Win) – April 30, 2010
  • Quicken 2006 (Win) – April 30, 2009
  • Quicken 2005 (Win) – April 30, 2008
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4merKPer View Post
I don't think you're a weirdo, but I think Intuit should be more honest with Quicken users. Essentially, they've moved to a subscription model, where you pay a periodic fee to continue to make full use of their product. They have a right to do that, but they don't make that clear when you purchase or upgrade the product. I agree the fee isn't much to pay, but how about giving customers the option to pay an annual fee without having to go through an upgrade process and the learning curve for a (mostly cosmetically) changed product? The fee should go to maintaining support with the product as well as download support with the various financial institutions.
Agree wholeheartedly! I was a new user in 2008 and didn't know I'd have to upgrade in 2011. If I would have known that I still would have bought the product but I would have expected to have to pay again in 2011.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Understand, there are some annoying bugs in Quicken.

The one thing I didn't get was that the OP in her intro said they are worth a little north of a million, earn $250K in salaries working from home, spend $80K / year, and gave herself a major self-inflicted wedgie over having to get a new version of Quicken because "I use Quicken for EVERYTHING...".

Lisa, stop, take a deep breath -- the sky is not falling. Spending 60 bucks is not going to throw your retirement plans off the rails.
LOL...you are so spot on! I have taken a deep breath and exhaled.

But I don't like surprises and the first thing that came to mind when I got the notice that it would stop working is that I was yet again being nickled and dimed to death. I didn't know that this was a 'feature' of the software when I bought it.

I do realize it's only $60, but that $60 isn't in the budget and did I mention that I don't like surprises
Old 01-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I get so sick of reading Kim Komando's happy happy joy joy "user testimonials". Any real user feedback on its reliability, flaws, and encryption?
It does all it is advertised to do. Works without impacting system (low overhead), restores are simple and security is the same as Mozy (e.g. 448-bit Blowfish encryption).

Don't belive me? Fine. Just look at all the testimonials on the product. Here's one for you:

Carbonite Review | The Best Online Backup Service? | TechWizBackup - Guide To Online Backup

And here's one on the security side:

Carbonite Security Issues: Who Has Access To My Carbonite Backup?

As for this user? I'm well satisified with the product, ease of operation, and price.

If you have problems with it? Simply don't buy it (you can use it to test out and no CC needed). If it dosen't meet your requirements, then just don't sign up after the testing period.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
A funny thing is that I have not done a combined balance sheet for us... I really don't keep track of my wife's property... I wonder what it would show
Pray that you never have occasion to find out.

Ha
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Has anyone received one of these in the mail?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (419.4 KB, 4 views)

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised at how many folks are paying for Quicken and put up with the darn thing. This is especially surprising on this forum where many folks pride themselves on the DIY or at least absolutely free solution.

So how come y'all have not latched on to the absolutely free, never-expiring, version of MS Money? All the downloading from your accounts is free as are stock quotes as described on a couple of web sites.

So I am still using MS Money because I'd hate to pay money when one can get it all for free.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
As for this user? I'm well satisified with the product, ease of operation, and price.
That's all I was asking for... a report from someone with credibility whose judgment I value.

I get skeptical whenever I read so many excited reviews.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
Has anyone received one of these in the mail?
I got one a few days ago. It is sitting on my desk.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...from someone with credibility whose judgment I value.
You value my judgement?

Heck, I'm one who has an annuity ...