Join Early Retirement Today

Seriously Thinking "Fixed" Annuity to Replace Some CDs
Old 05-18-2018, 05:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seriously Thinking "Fixed" Annuity to Replace Some CDs

I know "An*#$ties" are bad words in some circles, and many ARE. But I am looking for CD replacements for Non-qualified Moneys in December when my 3% PenFed CDS run out.

Enter the "Fixed" annuity. Currently Returning 3.7% for 5 Years (A+ Rated Co. Including any fees which are low), No penalty 10% Withdrawals per Annum, deferred interest, and the Big one; Guaranteed up to $250k per contract in the state of Florida. An added benefit they are protected from unscrupulous grabbing Lawyers hands (In Florida).

Thoughts. Thinking of putting about $500k in 2 contracts when the time comes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 05:47 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

You could probably do worse. While I think the credit risk of a A+ rated company is low, particularly after considering guaranty funds, it is a smidgeon higher than FDIC insured CDs. One disadvantage is that unless in a tax-deferred account that the income becomes a slug of taxable income in the year it is withdrawn, but I guess that you could manage that by taking the interest out each year via the 10% free withdrawal provision. Downside is that if you need that money that surrender fees will likely be much higher than CD early withdrawal penalties.

5 year brokered CDs are currently paying ~3.2%. High quality corporate bonds pay the same 3.7% (like BSCN, which has a yield to worst of 3.71%) so I would probably stick with those and accept the smidgen higher credit risk as a tradeoff for better liquidity.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I would be careful. This sounds like an indexed annuity with the returns pegged to an index like the S&P 500 for example. Where you can never "lose" money if the market drops, but your upside is capped.

Also, I am sure the "3.7% return" includes an annual return of principal. The fees associated with these insurance products, which is what they are...insurance products...not investments....are well hidden and add up fast.
The up front commissions, surrender charges, etc. make them too expensive and restrictive in my book. Good luck whatever you decide.
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BEFORE you purchase any annuity ask the annuity company what the annual fees are including sub account fees, M&E expenses, any riders. Also ask if there are surrender penalties
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It is NOT Indexed. Research Fixed Annuities and you will see. Also fees are low for these and are included, returns are actual.

Remember these are NOT your traditional Annuities. These are more commonly sold by Fiduciaries. Never buy from a regular insurance agent. Again, do the research, like anything else.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am assuming you are referring to Multi Year Guaranteed Annuity MYGA which works the same as a CD. Where you put money in and at the end of the term 3yr/4yr etc... it pays the interest. The difference is that the interest is tax deferred until the MYGA matures.

Most MYGAs allow interest to be distributed of course you will pay tax just like a CD, not all also allow premium to be distributed so would confirm that.

I think MYGAs from an A+ company are a good alternative for fixed income and I have also been investigating them, but I would do a ladder just like a CD (i.e. 3yr/4yr/5yr) incase interest rates increase significantly.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
I am assuming you are referring to Multi Year Guaranteed Annuity MYGA which works the same as a CD. Where you put money in and at the end of the term 3yr/4yr etc... it pays the interest. The difference is that the interest is tax deferred until the MYGA matures.

Most MYGAs allow interest to be distributed of course you will pay tax just like a CD, not all also allow premium to be distributed so would confirm that.

I think MYGAs from an A+ company are a good alternative for fixed income and I have also been investigating them, but I would do a ladder just like a CD (i.e. 3yr/4yr/5yr) incase interest rates increase significantly.
Yes Exactly. More flexible than a CD really because of the 10% Per Year withdrawal clause, and in Florida that $250k insolvency insurance is nice.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Enter the "Fixed" annuity. Currently Returning 3.7% for 5 Years (A+ Rated Co.
I would be interested in where you found 3.7% from an A+ rated company as I have not seen one that high for A+ rated.

Fixed Rate Annuities (MYGAs) | Stan The Annuity Man®
Old 05-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would be interested in where you found 3.7% from an A+ rated company as I have not seen one that high for A+ rated.

Fixed Rate Annuities (MYGAs) | Stan The Annuity Man®
I called an independent Fiduciary I know locally. I do not need them till December so I did not check the company out exactly.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #10

I’d ask yourself why (if?) it’s worth the additional ~0.5% to you to give up the liquidity. Does an extra $2.5k/yr really make that much difference?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I called an independent Fiduciary I know locally. I do not need them till December so I did not check the company out exactly.
Thanks I have seen AM Best rated B++ rated at 3.7 but not A+ is 3.3 per stan the annuity man site (very entertaining videos) and others. Maybe he is quoting another rating system other than AM Best.

Here are the sites I look at:
1. https://www.immediateannuities.com/deferred-annuities/
2. Fixed Rate Annuities (MYGAs) | Stan The Annuity Man®
3.https://www.annuityadvantage.com/ann...tee-annuities/
Old 05-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I’d ask yourself why (if) it’s worth the additional ~0.5% to you to give up the liquidity. Does an extra $2.5k/yr really make that much difference?
I would think so, but I am not sure the spread is really that much for what I have been seeing, but if it is than yes that is significant, plus some control of taxes,

at 0.5% and rolled over to a new MYGA after 5 years...

$12,600 compounded 5 years
$25,000 10 years
$38,000 15 years
$52,000 20 years
Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Plus protection from Litigation in Florida. B++ is OK too.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I’d ask yourself why (if?) it’s worth the additional ~0.5% to you to give up the liquidity.
For Liquidity the $500,000 with several of the companies that supply MYGAs allow 10% a year withdrawal free if >59.5 YO otherwise may have 10% IRS penalty. So after the first year for a 59.5 YO, $50,000 dollars per year.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #15

I guess I’m still not sold; at least for our situation.

Quote:
I would think so, but I am not sure the spread is really that much for what I have been seeing, but if it is than yes that is significant, plus some control of taxes,
If it’s a bit more return each year you seek, adjust your AA & retain control over your assets.

Quote:
OK, I see the value in this. But, are you really worried about litigation? Is that what’s motivating you?

Quote:
For Liquidity the $500,000 with several of the companies that supply MYGAs allow 10% a year withdrawal free if >59.5 YO otherwise may have 10% IRS penalty. So after the first year for a 59.5 YO, $50,000 dollars per year.
Yep, access to 10% annually is good but, not as good as access to 100%. You do give up substantial liquidity; no way around that.

I went to the ‘StanTheAnnuityMan’ link (thanks capjak), and he lists four reasons for buying annuities.

P (Principal Protection): other than litigation protection, I don’t see any added PP value over CDs.

I (Income for Life): MYGAs are for a fixed time so, you don’t get this.

L (Legacy): You’re not buying that type of annuity so, no advantage over CDs & not as good as life insurance.

L (Long Term Care): You’re not buying that type of annuity so, no advantage over CDs; and Stan recommends LTCi if you can qualify.

So, in the end, it seems you’re just chasing a bit of extra return (aren’t we all), and considering giving up substantial control (liquidity) to get it. I just can’t get there but, that’s just me for our situation.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

These can be concerted to lifetime income annuities with no loss of principle when you Kark it (Except what you take out over the interest earnt), and Tax Deferral till DW gets on Medicare (to qualify for max ACA subsidy).
Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This seems to be very important to you for whatever reason. And, if you believe there is a good chance that some litigation will be used to take your money from you, well... I can't argue with you. You know your situation far better than any of us do.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
This seems to be very important to you for whatever reason. And, if you believe there is a good chance that some litigation will be used to take your money from you, well... I can't argue with you. You know your situation far better than any of us do.
Not really, we have an umbrella policy. It is just an added benefit in Florida.

Tax deferral is probably more important right now.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've been watching these also and consider them to be a viable component for fixed allocation. Specifically, the MYGA variety, but also the Secondary Market (fixed) Annuity options look reasonable. I was not brave enough to bring up the subject on this forum because the decent products get lumped in with the predatory stuff.

Now that CD rates are rising, my focus is shifting toward 2-3 year FDIC products.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I've been watching these also and consider them to be a viable component for fixed allocation. Specifically, the MYGA variety, but also the Secondary Market (fixed) Annuity options look reasonable. I was not brave enough to bring up the subject on this forum because the decent products get lumped in with the predatory stuff.

Now that CD rates are rising, my focus is shifting toward 2-3 year FDIC products.
As CD rates rise so do MYGAs.

OFF Topic: The secondary market Fixed Annuities provide in some cases higher/attractive returns but I could never go there due to the legal risks see this:
"Secondary Market Annuity" Investors Screwed out of $152,833.37 and Incur Legal Bills to Fight NJ Vendor - Structured Settlements 4Real® Blog: Structured Settlements | Settlement Planning News and Commentary, Now in 13th Year!