Settling on a plain old balanced fund

On a side note, I wasn't aware of the G-fund bonds fact you stated. Could you post a link that I could look at? I am a recently retired Infantry Officer with a TSP account and couldn't find that, which would be excellent information to have.

http://www.tsp.gov/rates/fundsheet-gfund.pdf

It is helpful to know what your main employment benefits are. Access to the G Fund is considered by many/most to be one of the major benefits for federal civilian employees and military.

So, if you invest in a balanced fund do you include this in your overall asset allocation or do you treat them separately?

In otherwords, say you have a 100K in a balanced fund that aims to have 60% equities/ 40% bonds. In your overall portfolio AA totals, would you add 60K to equities and 40K to bonds? Or just count them outside of your overall allocation.

I would break it out to the appropriate asset category, not leave it separate.

So, if you invest in a balanced fund do you include this in your overall asset allocation or do you treat them separately?

In otherwords, say you have a 100K in a balanced fund that aims to have 60% equities/ 40% bonds. In your overall portfolio AA totals, would you add 60K to equities and 40K to bonds? Or just count them outside of your overall allocation.

Periodically I check to see what the exact % equities in Wellesley is (38.62% stocks right now). From that I figure out how much of my Wellesley is in equities and how much is in fixed. Each time I compute my AA (45:55, equities:fixed), I add the corresponding parts of my Wellesley to the equities and the fixed portions.

easysurfer said:

Our entire investment portfolio (i.e. everything except for our short-term cash reserves) is now 65/35 with about half of that in a balanced "one-stop-shop" fund. Over time, as we contribute more to the TSP and IRA's, the balanced funds will account for a greater share of our portfolio. Now only our taxable investments are broken up into multiple funds (muni bonds and total stock market).

EDIT: I'm keeping track of things exactly as W2R just said.

Tim

Come to think of it, when I had a 401K I used to invest in a balanced index fund (60/40) and did just that -- took a percentage of the total amount and add them to their corresponding equity/bond totals.

Thanks for keeping me honest! :D

Back
Top Bottom