Join Early Retirement Today

Sex in San Diego
Old 06-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sex in San Diego

Sorry -- now that I have your attention . All you savvy RE people, please help me.

It looks like the property I have in San Diego is finally going to sell. This is the first time I have sold RE w/o rolling the cash to other properties.

How will this be taxed? I know I can deduct my purchase price - can I deduct the real estate commission and other improvements that I made after initial purchase? Any other deductions?
This final dollar amount after allowed deductions will be taxed at 15% - correct?

The money from this sale is going to add to my bucket #1 (sorry you non bucketeers) and add to bucket # 3 -- very exciting .

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #2

Is this your home residence that you lived in the 2 of the last 5 years? If so you might not owe any taxes at all. If it's investment property then you'l owe 15% on the gain and 25% on the depreciation recapture.

I've got an empty bucket you can dump the proceeds into as well. Just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
Sorry -- now that I have your attention . All you savvy RE people, please help me.

It looks like the property I have in San Diego is finally going to sell. This is the first time I have sold RE w/o rolling the cash to other properties.

How will this be taxed? I know I can deduct my purchase price - can I deduct the real estate commission and other improvements that I made after initial purchase? Any other deductions?
This final dollar amount after allowed deductions will be taxed at 15% - correct?

The money from this sale is going to add to my bucket #1 (sorry you non bucketeers) and add to bucket # 3 -- very exciting .

Thanks in advance

Old 06-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm doing the same exercise on Oahu:
Renting or selling the rental property

You may want to look at the IRS pubs dealing with selling a rental property, especially for calculating your basis and your depreciation recapture. A library copy of J.K. Lasser's "Your Income Tax" will also have a good chapter on the tax issues.

You'll also need to consider state tax and whatever nuisance locality taxes you may be subject to.

You mentioned rolling things over-- a 1031 is one method, but before 1997 there used to be a rollover method that allowed you to defer cap gains. If that's what you're referring to then you have to subtract those cap gains from your latest property's basis too.

And since you're doing this in San Diego (with or without sex), you'll probably have such outrageously high capital gains that you'll trigger AMT...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't get the bucket reference. :confused:
Old 07-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I assumed he meant it literally. If not, it still works! Because he can put some of that cash in a bucket at my place too
Old 07-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Darn it, I'm outta buckets!!!! Going to the Depot, be right back. There's seems to be a shortage of people who will fill them for you!
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #7

[quote=Arif;530997]Is this your home residence that you lived in the 2 of the last 5 years? If so you might not owe any taxes at all. If it's investment property then you'l owe 15% on the gain and 25% on the depreciation recapture.

No - never lived there full time - it was a weekend get away when I lived in S. CA (inland empire). Thanks for the feed back!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #8

You mentioned rolling things over-- a 1031 is one method, but before 1997 there used to be a rollover method that allowed you to defer cap gains. If that's what you're referring to then you have to subtract those cap gains from your latest property's basis too.

And since you're doing this in San Diego (with or without sex), you'll probably have such outrageously high capital gains that you'll trigger AMT...[/quote]

Yes, the 1031 is what I was referring to...and I'm afraid AMT will be in my 07. I may 1031 part of the procedes to minimize AMT. There are still some OK deals in N. CA. Thanks Nords
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I am referring to Ray Lucias buckets - it has been quite the controversy here. It breaks your portfolio into 3 buckets.

Search: Raymond J. Lucia Companies Inc
Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmeouttahere View Post
Darn it, I'm outta buckets!!!! Going to the Depot, be right back. There's seems to be a shortage of people who will fill them for you!

I keep my bucket # 1 cleverly hidden under my bed.....don't tell anyone