Shaping up to be an unwhee day today

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't get it, the market is nervous due to Fed signalling that QE3 is unlikely.

I interpret that as a positive for the economy, but what the heck do I know:facepalm:

I don't buy the reasons that the media give for market ups and downs. I think most of them are fabricated. If anyone really knew, and if the causes were publicly known, they could predict market ups and downs accurately and they would be unfathomably rich. I don't see that happening.

That said, the market goes up and down and the roller coaster continues. Hopefully in a week or two we will be back in "Wheee!" mode again for at least a little while. :dance: I'm sure that we'll also be back in doom-and-gloom territory at some point, since it is almost always one or the other.

Last edited:
I don't get it, the market is nervous due to Fed signalling that QE3 is unlikely.

I interpret that as a positive for the economy, but what the heck do I know:facepalm:

You are right. The market is supposed to go down and up based on fear and greed respectively. Today it seems to be the other way around.

New story within the last hour is that the market is down because of worries about the European economies. Now the economic compass has swung back to align with my simplistic reality.

New story within the last hour is that the market is down because of worries about the European economies. Now the economic compass has swung back to align with my simplistic reality.

LOL, CNN still has this one up which I saw earlier. I guess the best approach is to ignore all the noise, but sometimes this stuff just make me want to yell out the window.
Investor anxiety causes stocks to nosedive

By Maureen Farrell @CNNMoneyMarkets April 4, 2012: 12:20 PM ET
Click chart for more markets data.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- U.S. stocks plunged Wednesday, as investors grew increasingly anxious about what the markets might look like without additional stimulus from the Federal Reserve.
Some investors had been hoping the Fed would move toward another round of quantitative easing, but those prospects seemed less likely following Tuesday's release of minutes from last month's meeting of the central bank.

I been wondering why the feds just don't print everyone one million dollars.

The Dow might even close below 13,000 at end of day. But who's counting? :(

It's probably just a profit taking day after the big run up. Glad I sold Monday so I could buy the stocks back on sale today.

Fed comments of yesterday, Spain bond issues overnight. Two steps forward, one step back....

This is the most delayed response to W2R's Whee that I've ever seen!

Note that the media usually don't explicitly state a cause and effect:

"U.S. stocks plunged Wednesday, as investors grew increasingly anxious about what the markets might look like without additional stimulus from the Federal Reserve."

They could as easily say:

"U.S. stocks plunged Wednesday, less than seven weeks after W2R's Whee pronouncement."

Last edited:
I don't know what people are getting worked up over, but I would suggest less time watching market stuff.

Today looks like an "equities on sale" day. But who's counting?

Take it as a buying opportunity. :D

I agree, it should be a positive sign for the economy. However, much of the previous year or so's market increases have been based on Uncle Sam throwing cheap (if not free, created from thin air) money around. So the thought of having to deal, even vaguely, with reality creates FUD. Today is a FUD market, which is still better than a FUBAR market. But definitely not a buying opportunity yet. IMHO.

I might whee a little bit today. If the markets stay down enough, I'm thinking about doing a slight rebalance in one of my old 401ks that's gotten just a little out of whack.

I'll do a big wheee when Apple gets down to where it was in March 09:LOL:

I'll do a big wheee when Apple gets down to where it was in March 09:LOL:

I'll be happy enough when it gets to where it was last December when I sold teh rest of mine to adjust the basis and take advantage of the 0% cap gains. The next day it was up $3, so I decided to wait until it came back down to where I sold ($394). Good plan, that.

I'll be happy enough when it gets to where it was last December when I sold teh rest of mine to adjust the basis and take advantage of the 0% cap gains. The next day it was up $3, so I decided to wait until it came back down to where I sold ($394). Good plan, that.

I'm sitting on 80 shares of AAPL right now, and kind of have that deer in the headlights look, when it comes to what to do with it.

I remember when it peaked out at around $200 per share in late 2007. I had paid around $88 for my initial batch of it in early 2005, but then it did a 2:1 split within a couple weeks. I picked up some more a few months later, when it fell to around $37 per share, and a few more in May of '07, for around $114 per share. So at the end of 2007, I was looking at a gain of 244%.

Well, it crashed back down in the "great recession" to about $85 per share, maybe worse, but at the end of '09 was back up to around $210 per share. At that point, I figured I should lock in some of those gains, so I ended up selling off some, at around $196 per share.

And almost immediately, it took off! :mad: So, I jumped back in, around the $250-260 range. If I had just left it alone, it would've saved me about $54-64 per share in the process, but at least I got back in, to ride it back up to the top.

Bought a few more shares in early '11 at $331, and then sold some in August, at $361, again thinking it would lock in a little bit of gain. And, of course, it shot up again!

Back in January, when Apple exceeded their earnings expectation, their share price shot up about 10% overnight. I figured it would drop back down fast, so my plan was to sell a bit off, and buy back when it dropped. Well, I sold at $448.53 (just 5 shares, so nothing life altering). I figured if it dropped back down, to around $400 or less, I'd buy it back. But once again, it shot up!

So, with the luck I've been having, maybe I should sell off a few shares, because then the rest of it will skyrocket again! :D

I guess this little Apple odyssey of mine only goes to prove that sometimes, the best way to succeed in the stock market it to just set it and forget it!

Well, even though yesterday's market drop recovered a bit late in the day, I still whee'd a little. It was enough for me to do a slight rebalance in my rollover. Also had little unintentional whee. My 401k contribution posted last night, rather than on Friday night like it usually does.

I always whee a little when it posts on a down day...makes me feel like I'm getting a bargain! Guess Friday was a Good one, for more than one reason!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom