Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 06:36 AM   #2121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Once I added up yesterday's numbers, it became official...I'm now technically a multi-millionaire! The number came in at $2,003,743.

I had a feeling it was going to happen. I've been right on the cusp since last week, and for most of yesterday, just the number from my online brokerage was enough to put me over the threshold. But, I left work around 1:30, and didn't have internet access until after 4 pm, so in that timeframe, it really could have gone either way!

At one time, not that long ago, I had set $2M as my goal, to retire. But, now that I'm there, I'm not going to make any sudden decisions. Plus, I know full well that I'm going to end up crossing that $2M threshold multiple times before it really sticks. But, for the time being, it feels pretty nice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #2122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Once I added up yesterday's numbers, it became official...I'm now technically a multi-millionaire! The number came in at $2,003,743.

I had a feeling it was going to happen. I've been right on the cusp since last week, and for most of yesterday, just the number from my online brokerage was enough to put me over the threshold. But, I left work around 1:30, and didn't have internet access until after 4 pm, so in that timeframe, it really could have gone either way!

At one time, not that long ago, I had set $2M as my goal, to retire. But, now that I'm there, I'm not going to make any sudden decisions. Plus, I know full well that I'm going to end up crossing that $2M threshold multiple times before it really sticks. But, for the time being, it feels pretty nice.
Congrats. Already retired and hoping to hit that number this year. DGF and I stated the same thing - the concept of being a multi-millionaire.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:17 AM   #2123

Quote:

I remember your posts from before you made the first $1MM, then when you crossed that mark - which I believe wasn't that long ago, at least in my mind. Anyway, a huge congrats!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #2124

Quote:
Congratulations! It's such an awesome feeling!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #2125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Congrats! We hope to join the club in a few years!
Old 01-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
We all know Robbie and we all know his slogan "Blow that dough". Can I suggest we go with just "BTD" from now on?
For some strange reason, I enjoy reading "Blow that dough" wherever it appears on this forum. Maybe because I'm somewhat of a penny pincher and just those 3 words are pushing me to "Blow that dough." I like the nudge.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #2127

Passed another M mark in our portfolio today- and retirement package starts in 43 days. Whoop whoop! [emoji16]
Old 01-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #2128
Recycles dryer sheets

Just turned 60 and we have 1.5 cash , 1.7 m in personal and commercial property . The commercial, my business is worth 1.1. Will sell and close in at 62 and retire.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:36 AM   #2129
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hasn't visited this forum for a long time. Time for an update.

After tax cash/stock/bond 1.5m
Pretax stock/bond/cash 3.8m

Investment property 4.0m (soon to sell 1.6m to payoff primary mortgage)
Primary Residence 2.6m with 1.4m mortgage

It seems I have doubled my net asset since I joined the forum 6 years ago.
How many more years to go? I am thinking 5 more years if I can...
Old 01-17-2020, 04:53 AM   #2130

Thanks, everyone! Looking back on my records, I pretty much started in 1998 with zero.
Hit $500K in March 2010
$1M in February 2015
$1.5M in September 2017
$2.0M on 1/1/520.

Once I hit $500K, I only fell back below it once, in the May/June/July 2010 period
Once I hit $1M, I had two months finish below that, in September 2015 and February 2016.
After I hit $1.5M, I never recorded a month where I dropped back below that. However, I only keep the last day of the month, for posterity. On Christmas Eve, 2018, I was down to around $1.458M (I kept record of that date, since that was the bottom of that dip), but by 12/31 I was up to around $1.535M.

So hopefully, with luck, if I do cross back below the $2.0M threshold, it wont be very often. Or, for very long!

I guess the next major goal would be $3M, but honestly, I really don't care if I ever reach that one or not. Unless you factor in inflation, which does tend to creep up on you. Even though it's been low, it's still been enough to raise things roughly 50% in the past 20 years. So, by the time 2040 rolls around, $3M might only be the same as $2M today.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:28 AM   #2131
Give me a forum ...

The first M was in 2006
Took until 2013 for the second M
Third was in 2015
Fourth in 2017
Fifth last year.
The plug gets pulled in about 5 months
Old 01-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #2132
Give me a forum ...

The end of 2019 my 401K passed the $1.5M mark. I deliberately withdrew some at the start of January, some to "blow that dough", some for Roth conversions. In a little more than 2 weeks it is even higher, as if I had never taken out anything. Man, I gotta get moving on those Roth conversions...
Old 01-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #2133
Dryer sheet wannabe

I started saving and investing in 2003 at the age of 24.
My goal was to reach 1 million dollars and then I would retire.
I saved $250,000 over the next 10 years. I invested the money and eventually reached 1 million 3 years ago when I was 38.

Although I was very proud to reach a big financial goal(I came from a poor family) I decided 1 million wasn’t enough and pushed my retirement plans back until I reached 3 million. I wanted to get to a point where my principle would continue growing even with me withdrawing for retirement.

I reached 2 million a few weeks ago and I plan to start withdrawing 2% a year to supplement my income.
65% of my savings is untouchable in Roth IRAs, but they will be amazing once I hit 59 1/2.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #2134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertruck View Post
I started saving and investing in 2003 at the age of 24.
My goal was to reach 1 million dollars and then I would retire.
I saved $250,000 over the next 10 years. I invested the money and eventually reached 1 million 3 years ago when I was 38.

Although I was very proud to reach a big financial goal(I came from a poor family) I decided 1 million wasn’t enough and pushed my retirement plans back until I reached 3 million. I wanted to get to a point where my principle would continue growing even with me withdrawing for retirement.

I reached 2 million a few weeks ago and I plan to start withdrawing 2% a year to supplement my income.
65% of my savings is untouchable in Roth IRAs, but they will be amazing once I hit 59 1/2.
Impressive! Congratulations to you!
Old 01-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #2135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks, everyone! Looking back on my records, I pretty much started in 1998 with zero.
Hit $500K in March 2010
$1M in February 2015
$1.5M in September 2017
$2.0M on 1/1/520.

Hey Andre - You and I are almost exactly going at the same pace, starting 22 years ago. Congrats to you (and I guess to me). It's been a disconcertingly easy ride to be honest. Things will go wrong at some point, but it's nice to have that cushion when it inevitably does.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #2136
Recycles dryer sheets

Quicken reports our net worth minus home equity is slightly above $2.8M, not including an inheritance of $100k that should fund later this year. Plan is to jump into retirement when we hit $3M, excluding home equity. That should give us a nice cushion since original plan was to retire at $2.5M. If we don’t hit our target this year, I will probably say “the heck with it” and retire at year end anyway.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
Quicken reports our net worth minus home equity is slightly above $2.8M, not including an inheritance of $100k that should fund later this year. Plan is to jump into retirement when we hit $3M, excluding home equity. That should give us a nice cushion since original plan was to retire at $2.5M. If we don’t hit our target this year, I will probably say “the heck with it” and retire at year end anyway.

I don't use Quicken, but didn't realize that it would report a NW value. I'm sure you have to input a lot of stuff into it. Do you allow it to log into your portfolio accounts and pull balances?

I just have a huge-ass spreadsheet that I have used for years and try to pull balances first of every month just to keep tabs on stuff.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:05 PM   #2138
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
I don't use Quicken, but didn't realize that it would report a NW value. I'm sure you have to input a lot of stuff into it. Do you allow it to log into your portfolio accounts and pull balances?

I just have a huge-ass spreadsheet that I have used for years and try to pull balances first of every month just to keep tabs on stuff.
Yes, I use the automatic update feature to pull and import not only balances, but also transactions. It’s great for those of us who are spreadsheet impaired. Learning how to use spreadsheets is one of my goals for retirement.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:37 AM   #2139
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post

I have been using Quicken since 1987, so I have my net worth since that time, and usually check it every other day or so. For me, it pulls data from Chase, Fidelity, and Compass, but has pulled from many others in the past - I just consolidated the places I keep my money. Highly recommended if your interested in tracking. It has also helped me with lifetime planning - great tool to tell you how much you need to live out your life.

FIRE since 9/2016, and NW is still above when I retired!
Old 01-22-2020, 05:39 AM   #2140
Dryer sheet wannabe

My wife and I both still work full-time(ish), but 2019 was a year where our portfolio grew by roughly triple what our gross earned incomes are, combined. And out combined income in 2018 (don’t exactly know 2019s yet) put us near the 1% in our state.

I guess what I’m saying here is that 2019 was a year where our investment returns (stocks and bond, too) will have been up near the greatest that we’ll ever see. It’s abnormal.
Closed Thread