Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been ignoring the market ups and downs during the shutdown, but I just checked Vanguard - total investments are officially over $500K today. :dance:

What has actually surprised us has more to do with when we are at home then when we are traveling...
My main home is within a 15-min walk of what is the [-]world's[/-] US largest city park at 16,455 acres. That said, it is hard to take a long hike in the summer, when the high temperature may get to 120F. Right now, it is nice, and I hope I can resume my daily walk soon.

My second home is a bit further from a National Forest than a 15-min walk. I usually ride my motorcycle into the woods.

I have more of a love hate relationship with dining out. Love the experience, hate the inevitable weight gain if I indulge to often.
Hence, the French bistro that I like. People do not leave that place with doggie bags. :)

They do make sure you leave their place with a full stomach though. They have brought out more free dessert for us a few times when seeing that I still like some more. Was the waiter always this nice, or was it because we often ordered plenty of wine to last the couple of hours there, I am not sure.

Last edited:
Our taxable trading account has hit a new all-time high of $643K. Haven't checked our retirement accounts (it's definitely over $500K though) because I'm too lazy! :)

My main home is within a 15-min walk of what is the [-]world's[/-] US largest city park at 16,455 acres. That said, it is hard to take a long hike in the summer, when the high temperature may get to 120F. Right now, it is nice, and I hope I can resume my daily walk soon.

My second home is a bit further from a National Forest than a 15-min walk. I usually ride my motorcycle into the woods.

Hence, the French bistro that I like. People do not leave that place with doggie bags. :)

They do make sure you leave their place with a full stomach though. They have brought out more free dessert for us a few times when seeing that I still like some more. Was the waiter always this nice, or was it because we often ordered plenty of wine to last the couple of hours there, I am not sure.

Sounds like a nice place, and sounds like South Mountain Preserve in Phoenix. If so, it's #4 based on size.

The 100 Largest City Parks 2007 | Infoplease.com

It was interesting looking at the list. DW and I used to live in SF, and I expected GG Park to be much bigger comparatively. I was also surprised, having spent much time in both, that The Presidio is larger than GG Park.

Sorry, but the qualifier that I emphasized in italic was city park.

You see, the other larger 3 on the list are actually state or federal parks.

Actually, size is not all that matters. Here in the SW, the park is not green like GG park. And personally, I like green, hence my screen name.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the qualifier that I emphasized in italic was city park.

You see, the other larger 3 are actually state parks.

Actually, size is not all that matters. Here in the SW, the park is not green like GG park. And personally, I like green, hence my screen name.

Not to get picky but, I will anyway. :horse:

El Paso, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

El Paso is home to the largest urban park in the nation. The Franklin Mountains State Park, with its over 24,248 acres, is completely located within the city limits. The park is open for year-round recreation including hiking, mountain biking, picnicking, scenic driving and vistas. There are also over 100 parks throughout the metropolitan area.

BTW, I agree with you on the "green" and quality being more important than quantity.

City officials like to make claims, mine included. In this case, they claim the largest "city park", meaning its funding is by the city, not by the state, nor by the fed. And there are other sources on the Web that validate that, for what it's worth. It's all about money, and if one has enough, one can do anything. Of course, when it comes to the Fed, they maintain the largest parks (called National Parks), but as we know these do get closed occasionally.

See: South Mountain - Official Site of the City of Phoenix and South Mountain Park - Wikipedia.

We have only been to the portion nearest to our home, and climbed some hills that let us have a panoramic view of the city. Any further exploration would need backpacking, or mountain biking, neither of which we do. Whether the largest, or the 10th largest, it's way more than we need.

Last edited:
DW and I are now both at home on leave from w**k, each of us now convalescing from healthcare milestones, as in getting stuff fixed (new knee for her, and carpal tunnel surgery for me) before journeying off into retirement. Working days left soon to be dropping below three digits.

Reading the comments on the peaceful enjoyment of nature, and very much looking forward to doing that on an unconstrained schedule. After only one night of relief from the CT symptoms in my right hand, even with the surgical pain - I know the left hand will be getting done also. Huge relief from the numbness, which was such a slow and prolonged onset I had not realized how badly it was affecting me. I can already sense that bicycling & motorcycling will become much more enjoyable again.

Other milestone was sharing ER plans with my boss, he is astute enough to know I was getting close; shared with him my tentative (non-binding) intent so he could stop wondering and at least attempt to put together a succession plan.

DW and I are now both at home on leave from w**k, each of us now convalescing from healthcare milestones, as in getting stuff fixed (new knee for her, and carpal tunnel surgery for me) before journeying off into retirement. Working days left soon to be dropping below three digits.

I hope you are both feeling better soon to enjoy your ER.

If you would believe it, value of 401k's, present value of pensions (not SS) and other saleable assets, just passed $2.5M last Friday. OMG. Not in my wildest dreams. Still working, but not for long. Time for "take this job and shove it", just waiting for the proper moment. It won't be long.......:dance:

Hit $500K in invested assets (and supposedly over $1MM in "augmented" NW, but not buying that Zestimate...). Was aiming for $500K by 40, hit just past 36!
O0

Huge Milestone for us!

:D So this weekend, the significant other and I sat down to do our monthly stats LOL and after adding it multiple times because I couldn't believe my eyes, we reached a net worth of $503,500!!!!!!! Our goal was to hit 500k by Dec of 2014 and here we are 1 year ahead of schedule. Combined we make around 120k a year. So....we readjusted our goal to 600k by Dec 2014. I am 38 and the SO is 34. Hang on...need to "do a little dance,"......okay back. LOL. We do not live in a house, so there is no equity counted in this net worth, it's all retirement accounts, emergency savings, house savings, and cash on hand. WOOO HOOO..

Thanks to you guys and gals out there being our role models!!!!

RAF

:D So this weekend, the significant other and I sat down to do our monthly stats LOL and after adding it multiple times because I couldn't believe my eyes, we reached a net worth of $503,500!!!!!!! Our goal was to hit 500k by Dec of 2014 and here we are 1 year ahead of schedule. Combined we make around 120k a year. So....we readjusted our goal to 600k by Dec 2014. I am 38 and the SO is 34. Hang on...need to "do a little dance,"......okay back. LOL. We do not live in a house, so there is no equity counted in this net worth, it's all retirement accounts, emergency savings, house savings, and cash on hand. WOOO HOOO..

Thanks to you guys and gals out there being our role models!!!!

RAF
Way to go at a young age RAF! Although there's no exact number...I found that when I got to about $1.4M...my earnings on the portfolio started outpacing what I was making at my j*b! That's when you really know you're making progress! Keep up the good work!

Hit a major milestone yesterday

Every Friday I sit down at the computer to update our retirement savings. We hit $2,000,000 in assets dedicated to our retirement portfolio just last night. I imagine we could drop down below that goal next week and not see it again for a while, but it was sure fun seeing that number at least once. We will go out for lunch today for a minor celebration just between the two of us.

Still have some work left to do and hopefully we can pad the number a bit more, but not only can we see the light, but we can also smell the fresh air at the end of the tunnel.

Barring any major changes such as market crash or failure of Obamacare we expect to earn our freedom in 2014.:dance:

... HSA account kept off Quicken and would not be counted anyway.
Hope you're feeling better lately. Is the HSA out just because it's not easy to include it? It is a "Savings Account", after all ;)

I have more of a love hate relationship with dining out. Love the experience, hate the inevitable weight gain if I indulge to often.
+1. Once a week is all I can afford. And I'm not talking about money, hehe.

Every Friday I sit down at the computer to update our retirement savings.
Congrats on the milestone. But every week! Wow, I'm more of a quarteryly guy. Even though I wrote a web scraper to do it, and it only takes 10 minutes, I just don't think of doing it very often. But I'm going to do it now (you got me motivated).

EDIT: It turns out I have a milestone to share...I need to change the range on my Excel chart since my old max no longer will do :dance:

mIewKN9.jpg

Last edited:
A question for all. When u calculate your net worth, do u take out long term capital gains tax from your taxable account? Because, u will have to capital gains tax at some point if u were to cash out for your expenses (maybe some don't need to do that).

A question for all. When u calculate your net worth, do u take out long term capital gains tax from your taxable account? Because, u will have to capital gains tax at some point if u were to cash out for your expenses (maybe some don't need to do that).
u need to find another hobby...

Another hobby? What's my current hobby? It's just a question that popped in my mind because if u invested over time, capital gains tax will eat away no small amount of your total portfolio.....just a simple question, and u don't have to answer it if u don't have the answer.

Another hobby? What's my current hobby? It's just a question that popped in my mind because if u invested over time, capital gains tax will eat away no small amount of your total portfolio.....just a simple question, and u don't have to answer it if u don't have the answer.
Sorry, but "what do you include/exclude in computing net worth" is a perpetual question/never ending debate on this forum and there is no agreement on the corect answer. Include it or don't, whatever floats your boat.

Absolutely. After offsetting for tax loss harvesting, of course, and considering that all gains are typically within what currently is the zero percent capital gains bracket.

I find that the trickiest item is determining what the future capital gains rate will be. Of course, that only applies through 2031, because of the impact of the August 26, 2032 Event and the follow-on economic changes.

All my investments are in Roths or tax deferred accounts. I estimate a 30% liability on my tax deferred balances as a blended fed, state and means testing of benefits cost. I expect to be able to trigger these at lower tax impacts, but its a placeholder.

For milestones - I may strut a bit if my raw number rises over a threshold.

I do factor in some amount for the concept of capital gains.

However, in my unfortunate case, it is the opposite - a giant slug of tax-loss carryovers is ADDING to my balance sheet, since I'm able to use the $3,000/year offset as a deduction against my other income, and since I typically don't have too many sales in the year, I can count on reducing my taxable income for a few more years.

I also used to have some line for "tax liabilities" that I assign to my tax-deferred accounts, although I stopped worrying too much about that aspect a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom