Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #261
Recycles dryer sheets

If you would believe it, value of 401k's, present value of pensions (not SS) and other saleable assets, just passed $2.5M last Friday. OMG. Not in my wildest dreams. Still working, but not for long. Time for "take this job and shove it", just waiting for the proper moment. It won't be long.......
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hit $500K in invested assets (and supposedly over $1MM in "augmented" NW, but not buying that Zestimate...). Was aiming for $500K by 40, hit just past 36!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #263

Hit $2M net worth this week. Goal is $2.2M before FIRE.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #264
Dryer sheet aficionado

Huge Milestone for us!

So this weekend, the significant other and I sat down to do our monthly stats LOL and after adding it multiple times because I couldn't believe my eyes, we reached a net worth of $503,500!!!!!!! Our goal was to hit 500k by Dec of 2014 and here we are 1 year ahead of schedule. Combined we make around 120k a year. So....we readjusted our goal to 600k by Dec 2014. I am 38 and the SO is 34. Hang on...need to "do a little dance,"......okay back. LOL. We do not live in a house, so there is no equity counted in this net worth, it's all retirement accounts, emergency savings, house savings, and cash on hand. WOOO HOOO..

Thanks to you guys and gals out there being our role models!!!!

RAF
Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyAimFired View Post
So this weekend, the significant other and I sat down to do our monthly stats LOL and after adding it multiple times because I couldn't believe my eyes, we reached a net worth of $503,500!!!!!!! Our goal was to hit 500k by Dec of 2014 and here we are 1 year ahead of schedule. Combined we make around 120k a year. So....we readjusted our goal to 600k by Dec 2014. I am 38 and the SO is 34. Hang on...need to "do a little dance,"......okay back. LOL. We do not live in a house, so there is no equity counted in this net worth, it's all retirement accounts, emergency savings, house savings, and cash on hand. WOOO HOOO..

Thanks to you guys and gals out there being our role models!!!!

RAF
Way to go at a young age RAF! Although there's no exact number...I found that when I got to about $1.4M...my earnings on the portfolio started outpacing what I was making at my j*b! That's when you really know you're making progress! Keep up the good work!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #266
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hit a major milestone yesterday

Every Friday I sit down at the computer to update our retirement savings. We hit $2,000,000 in assets dedicated to our retirement portfolio just last night. I imagine we could drop down below that goal next week and not see it again for a while, but it was sure fun seeing that number at least once. We will go out for lunch today for a minor celebration just between the two of us.

Still have some work left to do and hopefully we can pad the number a bit more, but not only can we see the light, but we can also smell the fresh air at the end of the tunnel.

Barring any major changes such as market crash or failure of Obamacare we expect to earn our freedom in 2014.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... HSA account kept off Quicken and would not be counted anyway.
Hope you're feeling better lately. Is the HSA out just because it's not easy to include it? It is a "Savings Account", after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
I have more of a love hate relationship with dining out. Love the experience, hate the inevitable weight gain if I indulge to often.
+1. Once a week is all I can afford. And I'm not talking about money, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Every Friday I sit down at the computer to update our retirement savings.
Congrats on the milestone. But every week! Wow, I'm more of a quarteryly guy. Even though I wrote a web scraper to do it, and it only takes 10 minutes, I just don't think of doing it very often. But I'm going to do it now (you got me motivated).

EDIT: It turns out I have a milestone to share...I need to change the range on my Excel chart since my old max no longer will do

Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #268
Confused about dryer sheets

A question for all. When u calculate your net worth, do u take out long term capital gains tax from your taxable account? Because, u will have to capital gains tax at some point if u were to cash out for your expenses (maybe some don't need to do that).
Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #269
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkssss View Post
A question for all. When u calculate your net worth, do u take out long term capital gains tax from your taxable account? Because, u will have to capital gains tax at some point if u were to cash out for your expenses (maybe some don't need to do that).
u need to find another hobby...
Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #270

Another hobby? What's my current hobby? It's just a question that popped in my mind because if u invested over time, capital gains tax will eat away no small amount of your total portfolio.....just a simple question, and u don't have to answer it if u don't have the answer.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #271
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another hobby? What's my current hobby? It's just a question that popped in my mind because if u invested over time, capital gains tax will eat away no small amount of your total portfolio.....just a simple question, and u don't have to answer it if u don't have the answer.
Sorry, but "what do you include/exclude in computing net worth" is a perpetual question/never ending debate on this forum and there is no agreement on the corect answer. Include it or don't, whatever floats your boat.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #272

Ok. Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #273
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Absolutely. After offsetting for tax loss harvesting, of course, and considering that all gains are typically within what currently is the zero percent capital gains bracket.

I find that the trickiest item is determining what the future capital gains rate will be. Of course, that only applies through 2031, because of the impact of the August 26, 2032 Event and the follow-on economic changes.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #274
Recycles dryer sheets

All my investments are in Roths or tax deferred accounts. I estimate a 30% liability on my tax deferred balances as a blended fed, state and means testing of benefits cost. I expect to be able to trigger these at lower tax impacts, but its a placeholder.

For milestones - I may strut a bit if my raw number rises over a threshold.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #275

Quote:
I do factor in some amount for the concept of capital gains.

However, in my unfortunate case, it is the opposite - a giant slug of tax-loss carryovers is ADDING to my balance sheet, since I'm able to use the $3,000/year offset as a deduction against my other income, and since I typically don't have too many sales in the year, I can count on reducing my taxable income for a few more years.

I also used to have some line for "tax liabilities" that I assign to my tax-deferred accounts, although I stopped worrying too much about that aspect a few years ago.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #276
Recycles dryer sheets

Jumping the gun just a little bit, but was so excited to be CLOSE to 1M in investment net worth I just had to be part of this thread - as of an hour ago after going through our various online accounts I came up with 985k in investable assets.

A million has always been my "number" - a good week ahead in the markets, plus a few paydays coming in and I should be there. The question is, how much longer do I work?

In summary, I'm 41, almost 1M in investments, 1.7m in networth, no debt, and a wife making six figures who wants to work perhaps another ten years - and most importantly supports me in exiting my meat grinder career.

2014 is looking to be a good year for me.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #277
Recycles dryer sheets

Hit $751,126 after Friday's close on the market in invested assets and savings. NW just north of $1MM. Still hoping to get laid off this year with a year's severance and then the wife will retire in mid 2015 with 30 years military and 25 years civil service. I retired USAF in 1996 with 20 years.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #278
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Hope you're feeling better lately. Is the HSA out just because it's not easy to include it? It is a "Savings Account", after all
Thank you for the well-wish.

About that HSA, for a few years now, my wife made a monthly payment to the health insurer, and it was for both the premium as well as the HSA portion. I always treated this as an expense, and did not realize how much that HSA had grown. It was only when my son who was on our policy last year was hospitalized that I asked my wife about that account. I was astounded when my wife said it was close to $40K.

After 2 years of meeting the $10K annual deductible, I would hope for a break next year. At this point, if this HSA is depleted, paying out-of-pocket from my cash account is absolutely not a problem, but the fact that my state of health requires that kind of healthcare would be the real concern.

I am grateful that while going through a difficult time with the health issue, I do not have to also worry about potential financial ruination, as many people might have. The issue is for me to stay around to spend some. I never thought I was going to live to the 80s, even back when I was in perfect health. And now, I have a sudden health issue, at still a few more years before I can even claim SS. My more frugal wife would not know how to spend some "real money", if I am not around.

Should I have included this HSA in Quicken? The correct answer is yes, and it is not too difficult to do. But as the HSA has become a depreciating asset the last 2 years, perhaps I do not care to.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #279
Full time employment: Posting here.

My portfolio just passed the $15 million mark! Yay!

Sadly, that's only when denominated in pesos.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #280
Recycles dryer sheets

Through today, for the first time, my portfolio has gained $500,000 in a single calendar year; of course, it could lose all those gains in the last two months. This year the retirement portfolio has grown from a little over $2.1M to a little over $2.6M.

If only this could keep going for a few more years.

Marc
Closed Thread