Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #341
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Don't stop. That type of smile brings warmth to the soul and drives co-workers crazy.
Turns out I can't stop even if I want to. Walked around all day at w*rk today with a big grin. Driving (some) of my coworkers crazy is just a bonus.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Our Milestones
Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #342
Recycles dryer sheets

Our Milestones

DW and I paid off our mortgage this past July at the age of 46/48. WOOHOO! And a net worth milestone is in clear sight.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #343
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgun View Post
If you have 8 Million are you done? IE retired?
Believe it or not, no. Of the $8 million, about $7.5 is in invest-able assets, the rest is home equity. My expenses will seem sickeningly high to many on this forum...about $250k - $270k/year if you include the taxes I'd be paying even without my "day job." (Living expenses are around $180k - $200k/year.) At that, and at age 42, I'm not quite comfortable with the withdrawal rate given that the CAPE on stocks is quite high by historical standards. (i.e. I wouldn't be shocked if there's a decent sized correction in the next year or two.) I'm tentatively setting age 45 for FIRE, but we'll see. Thanks for the kudos. Unlike many of the extremely diligent savers on this forum, I actually made a lot of money from running a company so I don't think I'm in the same league as far as discipline as many of the early retirees here. Hats of to them!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #344
Dryer sheet wannabe

I hit quite a few milestones recently. I used to think $1M was more money than I would ever know what to do with.

I went from 860k in investments (not including home equity) to $1.2M in the last year thanks to diligent savings and of course the ridiculous rise in the markets.

I was just notified that I am now Flagship on Vanguard (> $1M in assets) which I have been dreaming about for a while (not that it really gets me anything, more just for the accomplishment).
Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #345
Recycles dryer sheets

So this is a milestone for me. I managed to get all of my assets trackable and into a spreadsheet to the point I can give myself the buffet test on a daily basis answering the question:

How well is my portfolio doing against the S&P500 at close each day.
Well so far this year in the 8 trading sessions we have seen, I am up 0.653131943687704% against the S&P500 Yay!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #346
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I think it fits. Many posts here about financial milestones, but I've got a non-financial one:

Wrote an email to HR today about "job sharing opportunities" or otherwise not working full time. The answer will be a flat "no", but that's my due diligence. My next milestone will be to send another email "Since you can not accommodate my earlier request..."
Sent the '2 week notice' letter today! They wanted a signed letter, so I printed out a one liner (...my last day will be January 24...), signed it, scanned it, and emailed it to HR. They probably want it to fight unemployment claims, I suppose.

I actually intended to have this done earlier, but they acted like they might actually agree to my working half time or less in 2014, month on/month off. I'd have been a big spender on travel if they had agreed to that! But alas, the ending offer was 3 weeks unpaid in the summer.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #347
Recycles dryer sheets

Net worth bumped over 2.5 million yesterday. Just waiting for year end bonus and some stock option vesting and I am outta here!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #348
Recycles dryer sheets

Paid off the mortgage on Monday!

Took early retirement a year ago, but wish I had found this site years ago. Oh well, still learning so it's still all good.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarpy View Post
Paid off the mortgage on Monday!

Took early retirement a year ago, but wish I had found this site years ago. Oh well, still learning so it's still all good.
Congratulations!!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #350
Recycles dryer sheets

Portfolio hit 35x expenses recently.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #351
Recycles dryer sheets

Milestones:

We have hit and even gone significantly above, the ER number.

Now--180 work days until retirement! woo-hoo. When I put it in work days it seems more manageable somehow to me. But I am afraid these will be the longest 180 days ever. 36 weeks. 1440 hours. 86,400 minutes. Not that I am counting or anything. Just happened to know that off the top of my head.

Just have to work until the wife gets her time in to get her pension.
close--so close.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #352
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did my first major move of resources to get my AA back in line.

Not really very exciting, is it?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #353

The hubster applied for Social Security on Friday. Since we have minor children, it totally makes financial sense for him to claim at age 62 rather than waiting. He's officially retired.

He's been walking around with a HUGE grin on his face all weekend.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #354

Quote:
Quote:
Wrote an email to HR today about "job sharing opportunities" or otherwise not working full time. The answer will be a flat "no", but that's my due diligence. My next milestone will be to send another email "Since you can not accommodate my earlier request..."
Sent the '2 week notice' letter today! They wanted a signed letter, so I printed out a one liner (...my last day will be January 24...), signed it, scanned it, and emailed it to HR. They probably want it to fight unemployment claims, I suppose. I actually intended to have this done earlier, but they acted like they might actually agree to my working half time or less in 2014, month on/month off. I'd have been a big spender on travel if they had agreed to that! But alas, the ending offer was 3 weeks unpaid in the summer.
Here it is, the post of my life and the forum site has gone whacky and so didn't post until now. Turned-in the laptop, the cell phone and the badge on Friday! It's official.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #355

Quote:
Here it is, the post of my life and the forum site has gone whacky and so didn't post until now. Turned-in the laptop, the cell phone and the badge on Friday! It's official.
Let me be the first to congratulate you! That's sengsational!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #356
Administrator

Quote:
CONGRATULATIONS, Sengsational! That news is simply sensational, Sengsational.

I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as F and I are enjoying ours.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #357

Quote:
Great news. Enjoy you new life!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #358

That is fantastic! Have a great retirement.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #359

Crossed a nice fat number (for me) in savings on Jan. 12. But it didn't last as the recent market decline took me back under.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #360
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Crossed a nice fat number (for me) in savings on Jan. 12. But it didn't last as the recent market decline took me back under.
Same for me, Marita!