Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh. This is starting to sound like a Wheee thread.

Time to sell equities.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #442
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniggle View Post
Finally hit seven figures on the 401K: Current Balance $1,000,511.30. Beat my stretch goal of getting to $1 mil before the end of my 50th year (currently 50 years, 4 months)
Well done !

Old 05-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #443
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Uh oh. This is starting to sound like a Wheee thread.

Time to sell equities.
People have been saying that the last couple of years- and they missed the big run-up in 2013. Every market corrects, eventually, the problem is there is no reliable way to predict when the correction will happen.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #444
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post
People have been saying that the last couple of years- and they missed the big run-up in 2013. Every market corrects, eventually, the problem is there is no reliable way to predict when the correction will happen.
Thanks! I was just about to dial my broker and go 100% Bitcoins.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #445
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Finally hit seven figures on the 401K: Current Balance $1,000,511.30. Beat my stretch goal of getting to $1 mil before the end of my 50th year (currently 50 years, 4 months)

Pretty proud of myself, considering the wife does not work and I am just a lower level corporate slug

Impressive!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #446
Recycles dryer sheets

Awesome!

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #447
Recycles dryer sheets

With a few months of buyout payments left from megacorp, I have finally crossed a milestone I set about 33 years ago - 2M in liquid net worth. House paid for, cars paid for, part time consulting gig is going well, DW is going back to work part time. Golf game getting better. Friends say that I look more relaxed than they have ever seen me. Sometimes I can't believe that all of the planning and perseverance actually paid off. People still don't believe that I am retired - I am constantly told that I am too young to be retired. I never get tired of hearing that.

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #448
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Pretty proud of myself, considering the wife does not work and I am just a lower level corporate slug
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJO View Post
With a few months of buyout payments left from megacorp, I have finally crossed a milestone I set about 33 years ago - 2M in liquid net worth. House paid for, cars paid for, part time consulting gig is going well, DW is going back to work part time. Golf game getting better. Friends say that I look more relaxed than they have ever seen me. Sometimes I can't believe that all of the planning and perseverance actually paid off. People still don't believe that I am retired - I am constantly told that I am too young to be retired. I never get tired of hearing that.
That is awesome!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #449
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Golf game getting better.

That's the important one.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #450
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Golf game getting better. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
That's the important one.
+Fore!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #451
Dryer sheet aficionado

Today is my birthday and this past week portfolio went over $1M. When each of my kids was born, I invested $1000 for them...and then switched the money into Roth accounts as soon as they had jobs and earnings which allowed it. Today the 26 year old has more than $30,000 (her husband who got the bug from her is up to $17,000)and the 22 year old (still in college) has $12,000 all in tax protected Roth accounts. They have added a bit to the original $1000 investment I made but not very much because both went to college and had expenses to meet. I helped of course with the help of a small inheritance when my mom died (she left me $30,000 and after I invested it, I ended up with close to $100,000 available for tuition and expenses for the two kids...the oldest was 4 years old when mom died so I had 20 years to play with...people forget that college spreads over four years or more so you do have more years than you think for investing. I really worried during the 2008 crash but held the course and there is still a bit of money left in mom's accounts for the two kids once they decide on masters level studies if necessary).
So I showed both kids my portfolio achievement on my birthday but told them that my greatest achievement is knowing they got such a great start and that they can all look forward to having the same accomplishment when they reach my age even if they never put a lot more into those Roth accounts. If they just leave them untouched, they should have a good portfolio of taxfree dollars many years from now. Now that is a birthday present!
Old 05-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #452
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Share your FIRE Milestones

Well, it's coming up on a year in retirement. Where'd the time go?

It seems I over budgeted, which is better than under budgeting. We could do fine on our pensions, without withdrawing from the portfolio. If we didn't want to travel. The little bit we take out pays for the travel bug, and let's us assist our starving artist son lol. He just decided - two years after college - that isn't the lifestyle he wants, so is starting to look for the nine to five, so he can can still make money in the theatre on weekend gigs. We've been discussing how to invest his current stash, which he was saving for when he took his shot at Broadway. I gave him five letters - VTSAX.

But we have spent a lot of time on the road, and can pretty much do was we wish while the portfolio gets bigger. Better than we had hoped for. Starting out year two Wednesday taking off towards the Catskills, then up to northern Maine. No schedule, no time limit ...

...it's better than I expected.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #453

A milestone of sorts. Yesterday we cleaned out the last two boxes remaining from our move from NY. It's only been 10 years. They were boxed by different packers, so one is definitely a pre-NY move, neither had been opened in Florida.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #454
Recycles dryer sheets

The portfolio is hovering 5% above our target which is great, and more importantly I am down to double digits on working days left! 99 as of today. I see the light at the end of the tunnel, it is starting to seem real finally. 99--I like the sound of that number, I wonder if I can convert the '99 bottles of beer on the wall' song to '99 days to retirement'?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #455
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
It sure is!

The biotech sector has suffered a reversal since early March and the value of DW's stock options has plummeted. So our net worth is down 11% in April, a milestone of sorts I think.
I bought a bit of XBI, an S&P Biotech ETF, back in 2006. In 2012, sold off some. Way too soon!

As I watched the sector tank in March, I got itchy and wanted to buy back some. However, I did not want to commit too much cash, and wanted to make a short-term bet on a rebound, hence bought the leveraged ETF BIB. Got it a bit too soon, so just recently got in the black. I already wrote a covered call on it to hedge.

A bit of gamble like this is way more fun than going to Las Vegas. And at any time, one can change his mind and cut loss, or get out a bit earlier. I limit myself to no more than 1% of portfolio on this kind of bet.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #456
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I bought a bit of XBI, an S&P Biotech ETF, back in 2006. In 2012, sold off some. Way too soon!

As I watched the sector tank in March, I got itchy and wanted to buy back some. However, I did not want to commit too much cash, and wanted to make a short-term bet on a rebound, hence bought the leveraged ETF BIB. Got it a bit too soon, so just recently got in the black. I already wrote a covered call on it to hedge.

A bit of gamble like this is way more fun than going to Las Vegas. And at any time, one can change his mind and cut loss, or get out a bit earlier. I limit myself to no more than 1% of portfolio on this kind of bet.
The good thing with stock options is that you can bet without committing any cash at all. It's the best kind of gambling if you ask me!

On a positive note, our potential passive income (dividends, interests, rents) for the next 12 months has just passed $72K. And I am not even squeezing for yield. It's more money than I used to make at my 9-5 job.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #457
Recycles dryer sheets

Whoooo Hoooo! The sale of my business went through (after 26 years in business) so I'm "almost" retired at 57 (and DH 50). We still have to stay on and train new owners, etc. so not exactly taking it easy for the next couple months, but its a start! We will be living much more frugally than before, but I'm looking forward to downsizing and simplifying! I'm sure I will be posting questions regarding my portfolio as soon as things settle down.

I've been dreaming about this day for years! Giant milestone for us!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #458
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
The good think with stock options is that you can bet without committing any cash at all. It's the best kind of gambling if you ask me!

On a positive note, our potential passive income for the next 12 months has just passed $72K. And I am not even squeezing for yield. It's more money than I used to make at my 9-5 job.
I have never had the fortune of having a job where someone else pays the bet for me, so I can collect the winning without putting down any. I tried to make my own bet by participating in a couple of startups, but it cost me a few years of salary-free hard work for worthless stock certificates.

Anyway, I can never predict my passive income that closely, as quite a bit of it comes from cap gain and to realize it or not depends on the situation with the individual stocks. Unrealized cap gains are nice too, but the realized ones are a lot nicer if they are tax-free.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #459
Recycles dryer sheets

Crossed $600,000 this morning. Never thought I'd see the day!

30 years ago, when we were setting up our 403b, the agent said we should aim for $250,000 total nest egg for retirement. My how inflation and a bunch of years changes that number.

We crossed anothe milestone on Sunday afternoon--my 29 yr. old DD asked me to explain IRAs to her and asked if she should start saving now for retirement! After all these years, is she becoming fiscally responsible? Probably not. But at least she's thinking about it.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #460
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
Crossed $600,000 this morning. Never thought I'd see the day!

30 years ago, when we were setting up our 403b, the agent said we should aim for $250,000 total nest egg for retirement. My how inflation and a bunch of years changes that number.

We crossed anothe milestone on Sunday afternoon--my 29 yr. old DD asked me to explain IRAs to her and asked if she should start saving now for retirement! After all these years, is she becoming fiscally responsible? Probably not. But at least she's thinking about it.
Congrats on the $600,000.... I'm hoping to hit that milestone soon.