Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #461

Had a couple of like minded coworkers make moves this week. One gave notice, the other is giving notice on Friday. Very inspirational to me.

Maybe not a milestone - but it reminds me that I've got 48 weeks left if everything goes to plan.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #462
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
Crossed $600,000 this morning. Never thought I'd see the day!
Cool! That happened on Monday for us. Race ya!

Old 05-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #463
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Cool! That happened on Monday for us. Race ya!
A Race sounds like a win/win for both of us. It will be exciting to see how much we can accumulate.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #464

After taking 15-18 months to advance from $1.0M to $1.1M and 1.1M to $1.2M from 2010-2013, it took me only 10 months to advance from $1.2M to $1.3M thanks to today's stock market gains.

But I also had a few other little things which helped get me to barely $1.3M today. After a mild spending spree over the winter set me back a little, one of my stock funds posted an unusually large quarterly dividend in April. Also, I sold some old Strat-o-Matic cards which had been sitting in my closet for years, netting me nearly $400.

But when I added up today's ending balances in my brokerage accounts and local bank account, I came up about $150 short of $1.3M. However, I had recently made a cash withdrawal from an ATM so when I counted up how much cash I had in my cash drawer and wallet, it came to about $160. Therefore............I am about $10 over the $1.3M mark! YAY!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:49 AM   #465
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by movaly1 View Post
Congrats on the $600,000.... I'm hoping to hit that milestone soon.
I hit it!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #466

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
But when I added up today's ending balances in my brokerage accounts and local bank account, I came up about $150 short of $1.3M. However, I had recently made a cash withdrawal from an ATM so when I counted up how much cash I had in my cash drawer and wallet, it came to about $160. Therefore............I am about $10 over the $1.3M mark! YAY!
That struck a chord and made me chuckle. I've been edging towards my new milestone of 750K which is a bit harder to hit than it would have been otherwise, as I'm no longer contributing and at the same time, withdrawing from the portfolio for living expenses. The balance has been teetering around the 740K mark for a while now. Then yesterday, I remembered the ~6.2K cushion I have in checking, which brings me within ~4K of my goal. On the other hand, I'm about to spend a few hundred on hobby-related items, which will take me a bit further away from it.

Of course, one decent day in the market will take me right past my goal. but sometimes us numbers-oriented people have nothing better do than watch our balances
Old 05-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #467
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Also, I sold some old Strat-o-Matic cards which had been sitting in my closet for years!
Strat-o-Matic! Man, that brings back memories of many late nights with buddies playing SOM baseball. We even tried SOM basketball, but soon determined SOM worked best with a more plodding deliberate game like baseball.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by movaly1 View Post
I hit it!
I've hit it twice (had it, lost it, got it again all in two week's time!) What do I win?!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #469
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my retirement goals is to enter it healthy. Had part 1 of my annual physical today... EKG was perfect and blood pressure was 110/70. Will get the results from my blood work on Weds. Only 331 days left, but who's counting.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #470
Full time employment: Posting here.

After yesterday's market close, our net worth hit $2M. Of course we know this is temporary , but it is a nice goal to have touched for a day.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Of course we know this is temporary , but it is a nice goal to have touched for a day.
Perhaps, but it looks as if the general trend for you is headed in the right direction. Congratulations!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #472

No new all-time highs to report of, but in June I'll be hitting a new milestone, of sorts. I have an online brokerage account with Scottrade, and I've always invested the dividends from the various stocks. As a result, every year has been better than the year before, when it comes to dividends. Well, it finally got to the point that on June, I should have my first month where the dividends break $2000. It won't do that every month, because different stocks pay out at different times. But, I figure I'm on track to make about $16,500 in dividends from my Scottrade account.

FWIW, here's how they've grown over the years...
2005: $440
2006: $882
2007: $965
2008: $1111
2009: $1515 (bought a lot of Cedar Fair/FUN, and that helped here)
2010: $3616 (started playing around with a gold fund and REITs, which helped boost it)
2011: $6646 (a lot of this was increased exposure to FUN, which also boosted its dividend, plus increased exposure to the REITs. However, other stocks were growing, too)
2012: $11058 (again, a lot of this was FUN and the REITs, but other stocks were compounding)
2013: $12369 (got burned by the REITs, and the gold fund, GGN started to tank a bit, but increased exposure to other stocks helped smooth it out)
2014: $16,500 estimate. (I've kept my exposure to Gold and REITs, and expanded stuff that pays around 4-6%, such as ED, MO, RDS-B, and T)

It's kind of cool to think that my dividends can make more in a month now, than they did all year in 2009. And, even in my worst month should still be good for around $760.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #473
Dryer sheet wannabe

The Cure For The Summer Time Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
(bought a lot of Cedar Fair/FUN, and that helped here)
Just want to say that I grew up going to Cedar Point all the time and now that I have a family I took them there last summer and they loved it. I think Cedar Point is better than Disney World/Land!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #474
Recycles dryer sheets

^ awesome Andre!

It just occurred to me that my investments have for the first time surpassed what I owe on my mortgage (which I don't plan to pay off). I also have a decent sized equity in the house. I paid $400k for it, owe $300k and it's appreciated to about $500k now - not that I'm planning to sell.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwhite77 View Post
Just want to say that I grew up going to Cedar Point all the time and now that I have a family I took them there last summer and they loved it. I think Cedar Point is better than Disney World/Land!
I guess Disney is good if you have little kids and/or like all that fantasy stuff, but I'm kind of a roller coaster junkie, so to me Cedar Point is the winner, hands-down. Me and a couple friends usually try to go every year or two. Went in 2007, 2009-11, and 2013. Unfortunately we're not going this year, because we're doing two weeks in Aruba, and one of my friends doesn't have enough vacation for anything else.

I buy season passes, which let me get into any amusement park that Cedar Fair owns...Cedar Point, Kings Island, Canada's Wonderland, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Dorney Park, and a few others that are further away. If I go a few times per year, I figure it's paid for itself. And, being a shareholder (or unit-holder I guess, since it's an MLP), I don't feel so bad about spending money, as it comes back to me, in a way.

I bought a lot of FUN back in 2009 when it was trading for around $7-10 per share. At the time, it was paying 25 cents per quarter in distributions, and that's what I bought it for. But, as luck would have it, the distributions stopped almost immediately after I bought it, but then the share prices started rising. And then, eventually, the distributions came back, and started rising. it's currently trading for around $49-50 per share, and is paying 70 cents per quarter.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post

It just occurred to me that my investments have for the first time surpassed what I owe on my mortgage (which I don't plan to pay off). I also have a decent sized equity in the house. I paid $400k for it, owe $300k and it's appreciated to about $500k now - not that I'm planning to sell.
Congratulations! I know that has to be a good feeling, especially on a large mortgage like that.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #477
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday our net worth hit over 5 million. Not including our home or rentals, cars, etc. I have always thought of net worth as investment items and cash. Now if I could figure out how to retire.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #478
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
Congratulations! I know that has to be a good feeling, especially on a large mortgage like that.
It feels OK...I just can't wait to skip a few years already, wake up one day and see my networth to be closer to my target of $1.5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletal View Post
Yesterday our net worth hit over 5 million. Not including our home or rentals, cars, etc. I have always thought of net worth as investment items and cash. Now if I could figure out how to retire.
Need help writing a resignation letter? I only charge pocket change, like $400k or so Seriously though, congrats! what was the main contributing factor to your impressive net worth?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:00 AM   #479
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletal View Post

Congratulations. I'm curious, why don't you consider your rentals to be "investment items" and therefore part of your net worth?
Old 05-22-2014, 04:50 AM   #480
Recycles dryer sheets

We have now exceeded our state's exclusion for estate taxes. Went to see an attorney yesterday as we have just moved to another state. The exlusion on estate taxes is 5 million and we must plan to minimize and hopefully escape this tax. One way is to take the IRA's out of the estate.