Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fast approaching $1M networth mark - at $987K right now. I should cross the $1M mark in the next 6-12 weeks.:D

I set a net worth goal back in 1992 when I first got really serious about investing. I used a planning tool that Quicken had way back then. I printed it and kept it all of these years as a cool reminder of what I thought would happen. It assumed a 10% market return every year (ah the days when we thought that was a given) and an increased contribution each year. This week, at 52, I hit the goal that I had for 65. Meaningless maybe, but still rewarding. This one sheet helped me stay on track and reminded me each year that work needed to continue to hit that goal someday.

Very cool sheet.

My quarterly networth spreadsheet just turned 20 years old at the end of June, so I thought I would share (without scale) to show the young dreamers what 20 years of saving and investing can look like. There are hiccups along the way (and an early pension payout at an unfortunate time) but in the long term, growth happens.

TwentyYrsGrowth.JPG

Nice progress scrinch! Gives me hope, do you have the data broken down so you can graph and separate out cumulative contributions from market returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Nice progress scrinch! Gives me hope, do you have the data broken down so you can graph and separate out cumulative contributions from market returns.
No. I only have bottom-line values, not separate contribution and ROI components. Wish I did, but that would mean keeping track of a lot more numbers, and I haven't done that.

1) Yesterday had performance review. Last one. Ever. In my life.

2) 29 Tuesdays to go (currently take every Monday off/have every other Friday off due to compressed workweek).

3) 6 Months to go.

Could leave now because now have 40 times spending, but hardly working as it is, so why do it?

I like Options plans. I've decided to start taking four day weekends twice a month to burn vacation time. Just ran I-Orp again which made me smile.

$1,000,000 in investable assets!

Just updated my spreadsheet, showing just over $1M today. This does not account for over $500k in equity between our residence and a rental property. Adding both of those brings the total to well over $1.5M.

Things have gone up about 50% over the past 2 years, makes one start to wonder about a market correction in the next few months.......

On track to retire at 44 from the Navy in 2017.

Last edited:
I FIRE'd one year ago, but the milestones continue. Paid off the house this month - no more mortgage! The check cleared today and when I checked my online mortgage account, I saw these three beautiful words: "Paid in Full." Wondering how to celebrate the occasion of being debt-free for the first time in 25 years. I think I'll not use the credit card.:)

I FIRE'd one year ago, but the milestones continue. Paid off the house this month - no more mortgage! The check cleared today and when I checked my online mortgage account, I saw these three beautiful words: "Paid in Full." Wondering how to celebrate the occasion of being debt-free for the first time in 25 years. I think I'll not use the credit card.:)

Congratulations! :clap: :dance: That is a wonderful milestone. :D

As an aside, I find that reading this thread is a great way to cheer up one's day. So many terrific milestones have been reached, and congratulations to all. :D

Last edited:
I have been absent from the forums for a while. Some of you may have read I was in transition, on island on Maui, then moving back off-island, selling homes and buying homes etc...

At 33 I finally reached a net worth of $100k invested portfolio assets, and for the first time my market portfolio out gained my daily pay rate which was a fun milestone. I made more on my index funds this past Friday than I did getting paid my contractor rate at work for 8hours. For those of you really good at math you may be able to calculate my pay rate heh based on the uptick ;)

Oh, and another cool milestone was that I earned $1000 in 1 day between my pay and investments...well not including real estate...that is hard to figure in there.

I think the last time I earned $1000/day I either had just cranked out a website or was back when I owned my residential window business. It was kinda cool doing it just on portfolio investments and a day at the office working for "the man" at megacorp.

Anyone else keep track of their "doubling?"

I've kept track of our year end portfolio values and the % increase each year. Kind of fun to see the numbers, averages and see how it plays out over time.

When I was in college, one of the study questions I had in my economics class involved the Wheat and Chessboard problem (Wheat and chessboard problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). After I worked on it for some time and found the answer, I went home and told my wife about it - she told me that the correct name wasn't the wheat and chessboard problem, but rather the Faberge Shampoo problem (Heather Locklear - YouTube) As always, I quickly agreed with my wife and after a short discussion, we discovered that if we were to double our NW 30 times, we would have more than $10M and complete FI.

We set up a chart that night (September 13, 1992) which we still use to track of our progress. Yesterday, I reviewed our NW spreadsheet and found that we had surpassed $1.34 million - the 27th double!!!

Only three more doubles to go!!!

Just received direct deposit of my first "pension" check; wow what a feeling! It's a mixture of glee, gratitude, relief, disbelief, and a little giddiness. It's not enough to live on but, it's way more than beer money. Most of all, it's simply amazing to see it there...actually deposited in my account. :D:facepalm::D

Last edited:
Just received direct deposit of my first "pension" check; wow what a feeling! It's a mixture of glee, gratitude, relief, disbelief, and little giddiness. It's not enough to live on but, it's way more than beer money. Most of all, it's simply amazing to see it there...actually deposited in my account. :D:facepalm::D

Congratulations. I received my first pension check a few months ago. I still smile when I get the deposit notices in the mail.

Strange, I haven't seen much activity on this thread in the last couple of weeks :angel: :D

Strange, I haven't seen much activity on this thread in the last couple of weeks :angel: :D

DLDS and I were out [-]spending[/-] investing our first pension checks. :dance:

Just received direct deposit of my first "pension" check; wow what a feeling! It's a mixture of glee, gratitude, relief, disbelief, and a little giddiness. It's not enough to live on but, it's way more than beer money. Most of all, it's simply amazing to see it there...actually deposited in my account. :D:facepalm::D

Congratulations. I received my first pension check a few months ago. I still smile when I get the deposit notices in the mail.

But, we're back now, ready to report on further milestones. :D

Last edited:
So close, so dang close.

I was all set to post a couple of weeks ago. After many years of frugality we were only 3K away from a major milestone. Sooooo temptingly close. We even had the champagne chilled and ready to go. But alas, it was not to be. The market decided to first tease us then retreat.

So close....so close.

Havent posted in a yr but a couple of milestones hit since then. I deployed for 7 months last yr and crossed the $100k milestone shortly after leaving the country. While deployed, I was hired into a federal job that I had been pursuing for years. Been working the gig since Oct. Wife and I had our first born son (deployment baby hehe). Crossed the $150k milestone this year. Seemed like it took a long time to cross this one.

I guess next milestone is $200k. Im 33 now and the goal is to jump out the rat race whe we have $400k saved and to be debt free by the age of 39-41. We want to live off of savings and part time work for 18-20 yrs until pensions start to kick in at 57yrs of age.Funny thing is that DW told me that I was talking in my sleep to someone about retiring early lol. Guess I am ready to ER now.

Last edited:
Havent posted in a yr but a couple of milestones hit since then. I deployed for 7 months last yr and crossed the $100k milestone shortly after leaving the country. While deployed, I was hired into a federal job that I had been pursuing for years. Been working the gig since Oct. Wife and I had our first born son (deployment baby hehe). Crossed the $150k milestone this year. Seemed like it took a long time to cross this one.

I guess next milestone is $200k. Im 33 now and the goal is to jump out the rat race whe we have $400k saved and to be debt free by the age of 39-41. We want to live off of savings and part time work for 18-20 yrs until pensions start to kick in at 57yrs of age.Funny thing is that DW told me that I was talking in my sleep to someone about retiring early lol. Guess I am ready to ER now.

Congratulation on your baby. If the ACA had been around earlier for health insurance, I think DH and I each working half time would have been a great lifestyle choice, especially while the kids were younger. A lot of our second income went to taxes, commute costs, prepared meals and outsourcing our lives because of a lack of free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom