Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #581
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Net worth briefly passed $4M this morning before pulling back slightly before the close. On my last trip to Europe, I surveyed the parcels of land that I purchased there as a teenager. The price appreciation on those has been phenomenal.
You still own them?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #582
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You still own them?
Oh yes, I do. The contiguous parcels form a beautiful piece of land with southern exposure, good soil, and a water spring running year round. My lifelong dream has been to build - with my own 2 hands- a small alpine chalet on it.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #583
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh yes, I do. The contiguous parcels form a beautiful piece of land with southern exposure, good soil, and a water spring running year round. My lifelong dream has been to build - with my own 2 hands- a small alpine chalet on it.
Hope your dream comes true!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #584
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Net worth briefly passed $4M this morning before pulling back slightly before the close. On my last trip to Europe, I surveyed the parcels of land that I purchased there as a teenager. The price appreciation on those has been phenomenal.
Congrats! but now I'm confused why you said you were pushing FIRE out another year With $4M you could draw down $160k per year (@4% SWR), if you buy a $1M house you can still draw down $100k-$120k a year. Just curious is all.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #585

I would like $4M and an Alpine chalet in Europe. Are you married FIREd?
Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #586
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't help but to barge in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
If you are OK with just $2M, and possibly 1/2 of the chalet, send FIREd a photo, because that's what he will have left once his still working DW finds out.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #587

Realized just this morning I am at 39x spending. I could pull the plug today and be okay, but target date is January 2015, and I have some toys to buy before then.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #588
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Congrats! but now I'm confused why you said you were pushing FIRE out another year With $4M you could draw down $160k per year (@4% SWR), if you buy a $1M house you can still draw down $100k-$120k a year. Just curious is all.
First, $4M is our net worth. About $1.5M of it, I consider non-retirement assets - real estate assets, mostly, that I would rather not monetize unless absolutely necessary (back up plan).

Second, we are only 40 years old, so 4% is not going to work. We plan on spending only the income generated by the rest of our assets ($2.5M), which is currently yielding right under 3%.

After doing some house hunting in the San Francisco area, I am pretty put off by the idea of buying here. So the plan is now to have enough cash flow to keep renting. Based on that, our target budget for retirement in this area would be about $120K a year + income taxes. I estimate that we have to pretty much double our current $2.5M in retirement assets to make this work.

Yes, this plan probably screams heresy in this circle. I am fully aware that we could definitely retire on much less. We could move back into our lovely paid-for house in the south for example and immediately cut our expenses by 60%. But we are enjoying the San Francisco area and would like to have the option to stay. And with our current income, it definitely looks doable within a reasonable amount of time.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #589
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Yes, married. And no chalet yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
If you are OK with just $2M, and possibly 1/2 of the chalet, send FIREd a photo, because that's what he will have left once his still working DW finds out.
Not quite. There is significant non-marital property on my side of the ledger...
Old 06-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #590
Give me a forum ...

Someone may offer to help you build that chalet. Just sayin'...

Quote:
Not quite. There is significant non-marital property on my side of the ledger...
Note that I wrote "possibly", because I remember that you have some inherited real estate that were preferably kept in the family name.

Superior memory, I have. Are people all impressed?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #591
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Superior memory, I have. Are people all impressed?
Very...
Old 06-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #592

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. There are plenty of areas between Santa Clara and SF that aren't as pricey but I'm sure you're well aware. Personally though I'd move away from the congestion more towards the newer, more spread out areas even as far as out as HWY 52 (near Gilroy etc). Or the coastal areas. Then again I enjoy elbow room and less frantic life
Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #593
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. There are plenty of areas between Santa Clara and SF that aren't as pricey but I'm sure you're well aware. Personally though I'd move away from the congestion more towards the newer, more spread out areas even as far as out as HWY 52 (near Gilroy etc). Or the coastal areas. Then again I enjoy elbow room and less frantic life
The whole peninsula looks crazy expensive to me. But I have my eyes set on Marin County, which is hardly more affordable.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #594

Quote:
Yes, married. And no chalet yet.
Do you need a butler?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #595

Quote:
The whole peninsula looks crazy expensive to me. But I have my eyes set on Marin County, which is hardly more affordable.
Prices come down quite a bit if you move further north to Sonoma county. We've got two places there...one our family home we've had since 1985 which is currently rented, and the other a duplex we've owned since 2011 which we use as a temporary base during home leave.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #596
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You might want to take a look just further North and West in Sonoma County. $500k buys a nice home up here. I moved here from SF when I ER'ed and love it. A bit rural, beautifully so, but SF is a mere 1 hour drive away.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #597
Give me a forum ...

Sonoma County has a lot to offer. If we don't move to Southern California we have thought of moving there.

But the lower home prices in Southern California for a different but maybe just as nice lifestyle (milder temps and beaches) are looking very attractive these days.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #598
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Prices come down quite a bit if you move further north to Sonoma county. We've got two places there...one our family home we've had since 1985 which is currently rented, and the other a duplex we've owned since 2011 which we use as a temporary base during home leave.
Thanks, I will have to take a look at Sonoma county. DW would strongly prefer to stay in San Francisco proper. And I want quieter and more natural surroundings. So Marin was a good compromise. It's also our favorite place to go hiking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
You might want to take a look just further North and West in Sonoma County. $500k buys a nice home up here. I moved here from SF when I ER'ed and love it. A bit rural, beautifully so, but SF is a mere 1 hour drive away.
Sounds like what I am looking for actually. Not sure if DW would go for it. I should organize a weekend trip to explore that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Sonoma County has a lot to offer. If we don't move to Southern California we have thought of moving there.

But the lower home prices in Southern California for a different but maybe just as nice lifestyle (milder temps and beaches) are looking very attractive these days.
I did not think that home prices in Southern California would be lower. I am surprised!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #599
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did not think that home prices in Southern California would be lower. I am surprised!
I think for what you get in terms of safety, schools, age of housing, etc. Orange County would be less expensive than most closer in, comparable parts of the Bay Area. The boom in tech jobs has kept the housing supply pretty tight here in most areas. Now even the fringe suburbs are starting to bounce back in price.

I took the list of crimes by city and marked the price per square foot for housing and the OC came out looking really good. San Diego has always been a bit less expensive, at least when tech jobs are not in a bust phase up here.

I think Sonoma is a little cheaper than other parts of the Bay for comparable housing because BART does not go up that far, so it would be a good choice for retirement if you don't need to commute to the city each day, especially with the coastal access and all the lovely parks.

We're still deciding. When we go for a walk in the Redwoods it seems hard to give up living here despite the housing costs.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #600

Well, nice to know you all still enjoy the Bay Area. DW and I just semi-FIREd, and will be moving to Marin around the end of this year/beginning of next year.

Save a spot for us!
Closed Thread