Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #601
Recycles dryer sheets

Today's milestone is the last day that I NEED to come to work. I have enough vacation that I could take the next 5 weeks off, until my official retirement on Aug 1st. I have been working 4 day weeks for the last month and the schedule and workload is actually quite nice, so I think I will stay that course and take some extra $$$ in my final check. This process is becoming rather surreal

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #602
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds awesome cinman! Congrats! It's nice they'll pay you out the vacation time if you don't use it.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #603
Recycles dryer sheets

Updated my financial spreadsheet for the quarter. We just crossed the $2M mark ($2.1M to be more specific) in NW and $1.75M in investment assets. I told DW that we are now technically multimillionaires, so we celebrated by eating little caesar's pizza with the kids.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #604
Dryer sheet aficionado

Me,39 and DW 35 passed $550k net worth on 06/15/2014. Our goal is to hit $600k by the end of the year. No debt, ZERO, live in an apt so no equity accounted in that as it is all retirement funds and emergency savings. 401ks, Roths, 457, house savings and a couple of other accts. Ultimate goal is to say we are millionaires by the time I am 44 and she is 40. All from a person born of nothing and working on a bachelor's degree. (Which is reimbursed of course by my work!)

WOW, this feels good! All from a couple that has never earned more than around 65k a piece and that pay is fairly recent. Oh, and our savings rate hovers at 50%...I am so fired up.

You guys/gals are an inspiration.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #605
Recycles dryer sheets

ReadyAimFired: That's pretty impressive. You deserve a big pat on the back.

Toocold: That's gotta be a great feeling. "Multimillionnaire" has a great ring to it. Hoping to be there soon, too. Congrats!
Old 06-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #606
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you WannabeRetired. We work hard and sacrifice in order to see the bigger picture. I never believed that I could retire so early especially when I started in the military making $800 a month!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #607
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyAimFired View Post
Me,39 and DW 35 passed $550k net worth on 06/15/2014. Our goal is to hit $600k by the end of the year. No debt, ZERO, live in an apt so no equity accounted in that as it is all retirement funds and emergency savings. 401ks, Roths, 457, house savings and a couple of other accts. Ultimate goal is to say we are millionaires by the time I am 44 and she is 40. All from a person born of nothing and working on a bachelor's degree. (Which is reimbursed of course by my work!)

WOW, this feels good! All from a couple that has never earned more than around 65k a piece and that pay is fairly recent. Oh, and our savings rate hovers at 50%...I am so fired up.

You guys/gals are an inspiration.
Very impressive savings rate. That is great you have a job paying for college.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #608
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyAimFired View Post
All from a person born of nothing and working on a bachelor's degree. (Which is reimbursed of course by my work!)

Excellent. You are definitely on track. This, from a person who earned an associates, bachelors, and eventually a masters while working full time, and fully utilized employer's tuition reimbursement program. I never did understand the concept of "student loans" - working summer jobs, or gaining an education while working, yes; now that I know about!

With your self discipline, I believe you will find little standing in your way of accumulating savings and increasing NW rapidly.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #609
Recycles dryer sheets

Share your FIRE Milestones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Well, nice to know you all still enjoy the Bay Area. DW and I just semi-FIREd, and will be moving to Marin around the end of this year/beginning of next year.

Save a spot for us!

Between the people living in Marin, those thinking of moving here, those closeby in Sonoma, we will have enough people for an ER happy hour soon
Old 06-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #610

Countdown to ER: 45 workdays, 80 calendar days. Major travel begins next week...Canadian Rockies and Alaska here we come.

I cannot believe this 30 year run (work) is almost done!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #611

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Between the people living in Marin, those thinking of moving here, those closeby in Sonoma, we will have enough people for an ER happy hour soon

Skip happy hour...go tour some wineries. I got drunk at Korbel winery in 1980. Silly them, I was only 20...:-)

Old 06-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #612

Less than 50 workday left. yippee!!!

Old 06-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #613
Recycles dryer sheets

Updated at today for the half year mark. 2.8 in accounts and paid off condo and cars. Hoping for ten more months for ER though as my dear DW mentioned today we may want another 100K to move to a single level house at some point. Hopefully the market will hang in there and still be able to retire next spring.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #614

4 workdays and counting.......

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #615
Recycles dryer sheets

Crossed the $2M net worth mark on Friday.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Hit a couple milestones this week. On Wednesday, the balance in my Scottrade online brokerage topped $300K for the first time. And as of yesterday, total investable assets crept just over the $980K mark.
Here's an update from my June 6 post. Total investable assets finished out the month at $985K. It would be better than that, but I also paid some pretty big bills. Scottrade account ended the month just shy of $307,000. Another milestone is that June ended up being the first month ever, that I got over $2000 in dividends from that Scottrade account. I grossly under-estimated that one...turns out it was closer to $3000! Around $2800-2900 I think.

So at this point, all I need is a ~1.5% gain, and I'm a millionaire! As much as I've moped in the past about it being no great shakes, I'll admit, it is a good feeling...
Old 07-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #617
Recycles dryer sheets

Get your bottle of champagne ready !
Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #618

Quote:
Here's an update from my June 6 post. Total investable assets finished out the month at $985K. It would be better than that, but I also paid some pretty big bills. Scottrade account ended the month just shy of $307,000. Another milestone is that June ended up being the first month ever, that I got over $2000 in dividends from that Scottrade account. I grossly under-estimated that one...turns out it was closer to $3000! Around $2800-2900 I think.

So at this point, all I need is a ~1.5% gain, and I'm a millionaire! As much as I've moped in the past about it being no great shakes, I'll admit, it is a good feeling...
I hope you get thoswe last few thousand dollars in investable assets more quickly than I did. I was at about $976k in late 2007 but never hit the $1M mark around that time because the markets began crashing. It took me until early 2010 to finally get to the $1M mark, 2 1/2 years later, after I ERed.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #619

Quote:
So at this point, all I need is a ~1.5% gain, and I'm a millionaire!
Found this link:

Countries where you're a Millionaire
You are probably a millionaire in 170+ countries already! (out of 231 total).

Not sure how up to date the exchange rates are.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I hope you get thoswe last few thousand dollars in investable assets more quickly than I did. I was at about $976k in late 2007 but never hit the $1M mark around that time because the markets began crashing. It took me until early 2010 to finally get to the $1M mark, 2 1/2 years later, after I ERed.
Thanks, me too! And yeah, I remember that timeframe well. Topped out in October, 2007, at $422,013. Dunno why that number sticks in my head so well...maybe because it stood for so long as my record? It started dropping after that, and by the end of 2007 I think I was down to around $407K, and then in 2008 dropped into the $300K range. I did manage to get back up to around $415K, maybe in May or June? But then the slide started...slow at first, but then before I knew it, the damage was done.

I think it was November 2009 that I hit a new high, around $436K. I bounced back relatively quickly, I think, because of all the additional investing, but I was still technically at a loss compared to October 2007. I don't think I was fully recovered (October peak + additional investments) until sometime in early 2010.