Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

My $1M by 40 Milestone
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #621
Recycles dryer sheets

My $1M by 40 Milestone

Today, I crossed $1M in cash/bonds/stock. The house is paid-off too. Feels pretty good to have done this by age 40. Shooting for $2M by age 50.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsaver View Post
Today, I crossed $1M in cash/bonds/stock. The house is paid-off too. Feels pretty good to have done this by age 40. Shooting for $2M by age 50.
Congratulations! I'm hoping to achieve the first milestone by 40 as well. Will not pay off my mortgage before then however
Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by molof View Post
Congratulations! I'm hoping to achieve the first milestone by 40 as well. Will not pay off my mortgage before then however
I remember back when I was 29, which was 1999, the market was doing really well. I think I saw a 40% return that year. I jokingly said to one or two of my friends that if it kept up at that rate, I'd be filthy rich and retired by the time I was 40. Of course, I knew the market couldn't sustain 40% year after year, but it was nice to fantasize.

Anyway, sure enough, when 40 came around, one of my friends, in a loving sort of way, threw my old comment back at me, about how here I am, 40 and still working! I guess I didn't do too bad though...I think I had hit around $575K by my 40th birthday. Mortgage was nowhere near paid off, though.

Anyway, as of last nite's close, I came in at around $991,000. So I could see $1M within the next couple days. I just hope it's not on July 7, because that's the fateful anniversary of the day I married my ex wife! Although, maybe it would be good to have a happy event associated with that date, to block out the bad.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #624
Recycles dryer sheets

Crossed liquid NW of $4MM this AM

I know with market moves it will go back down/fluctuate .. but it was a happy morning checking my trading screens today. Even DW said she was impressed.

Been a long time coming and getting closer to the finish line.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #625
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTim View Post
Crossed liquid NW of $4MM this AM

I know with market moves it will go back down/fluctuate .. but it was a happy morning checking my trading screens today. Even DW said she was impressed.

Been a long time coming and getting closer to the finish line.
Congrats!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #626
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm fast approaching $1M networth mark - at $987K right now. I should cross the $1M mark in the next 6-12 weeks.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #627
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
I'm fast approaching $1M networth mark - at $987K right now. I should cross the $1M mark in the next 6-12 weeks.
Maybe a couple of times...
Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #628
Full time employment: Posting here.

I set a net worth goal back in 1992 when I first got really serious about investing. I used a planning tool that Quicken had way back then. I printed it and kept it all of these years as a cool reminder of what I thought would happen. It assumed a 10% market return every year (ah the days when we thought that was a given) and an increased contribution each year. This week, at 52, I hit the goal that I had for 65. Meaningless maybe, but still rewarding. This one sheet helped me stay on track and reminded me each year that work needed to continue to hit that goal someday.

Very cool sheet.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #629

My quarterly networth spreadsheet just turned 20 years old at the end of June, so I thought I would share (without scale) to show the young dreamers what 20 years of saving and investing can look like. There are hiccups along the way (and an early pension payout at an unfortunate time) but in the long term, growth happens.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #630

Nice progress scrinch! Gives me hope, do you have the data broken down so you can graph and separate out cumulative contributions from market returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #631

Quote:
Originally Posted by molof View Post
Nice progress scrinch! Gives me hope, do you have the data broken down so you can graph and separate out cumulative contributions from market returns.
No. I only have bottom-line values, not separate contribution and ROI components. Wish I did, but that would mean keeping track of a lot more numbers, and I haven't done that.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #632

1) Yesterday had performance review. Last one. Ever. In my life.

2) 29 Tuesdays to go (currently take every Monday off/have every other Friday off due to compressed workweek).

3) 6 Months to go.

Could leave now because now have 40 times spending, but hardly working as it is, so why do it?
Old 07-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #633
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go, Options! Sounds like a sweet setup for 6-more months!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #634
Recycles dryer sheets

I like Options plans. I've decided to start taking four day weekends twice a month to burn vacation time. Just ran I-Orp again which made me smile.
$1,000,000 in investable assets!
Old 07-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #635

$1,000,000 in investable assets!

Just updated my spreadsheet, showing just over $1M today. This does not account for over $500k in equity between our residence and a rental property. Adding both of those brings the total to well over $1.5M.

Things have gone up about 50% over the past 2 years, makes one start to wonder about a market correction in the next few months.......

On track to retire at 44 from the Navy in 2017.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #636
Recycles dryer sheets

I FIRE'd one year ago, but the milestones continue. Paid off the house this month - no more mortgage! The check cleared today and when I checked my online mortgage account, I saw these three beautiful words: "Paid in Full." Wondering how to celebrate the occasion of being debt-free for the first time in 25 years. I think I'll not use the credit card.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #637
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
I FIRE'd one year ago, but the milestones continue. Paid off the house this month - no more mortgage! The check cleared today and when I checked my online mortgage account, I saw these three beautiful words: "Paid in Full." Wondering how to celebrate the occasion of being debt-free for the first time in 25 years. I think I'll not use the credit card.
Congratulations! That is a wonderful milestone.

As an aside, I find that reading this thread is a great way to cheer up one's day. So many terrific milestones have been reached, and congratulations to all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #638

I have been absent from the forums for a while. Some of you may have read I was in transition, on island on Maui, then moving back off-island, selling homes and buying homes etc...

At 33 I finally reached a net worth of $100k invested portfolio assets, and for the first time my market portfolio out gained my daily pay rate which was a fun milestone. I made more on my index funds this past Friday than I did getting paid my contractor rate at work for 8hours. For those of you really good at math you may be able to calculate my pay rate heh based on the uptick

Oh, and another cool milestone was that I earned $1000 in 1 day between my pay and investments...well not including real estate...that is hard to figure in there.

I think the last time I earned $1000/day I either had just cranked out a website or was back when I owned my residential window business. It was kinda cool doing it just on portfolio investments and a day at the office working for "the man" at megacorp.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #639
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire44 View Post
Anyone else keep track of their "doubling?"

I've kept track of our year end portfolio values and the % increase each year. Kind of fun to see the numbers, averages and see how it plays out over time.
When I was in college, one of the study questions I had in my economics class involved the Wheat and Chessboard problem (Wheat and chessboard problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). After I worked on it for some time and found the answer, I went home and told my wife about it - she told me that the correct name wasn't the wheat and chessboard problem, but rather the Faberge Shampoo problem () As always, I quickly agreed with my wife and after a short discussion, we discovered that if we were to double our NW 30 times, we would have more than $10M and complete FI.

We set up a chart that night (September 13, 1992) which we still use to track of our progress. Yesterday, I reviewed our NW spreadsheet and found that we had surpassed $1.34 million - the 27th double!!!

Only three more doubles to go!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #640

Just received direct deposit of my first "pension" check; wow what a feeling! It's a mixture of glee, gratitude, relief, disbelief, and a little giddiness. It's not enough to live on but, it's way more than beer money. Most of all, it's simply amazing to see it there...actually deposited in my account.
Closed Thread