Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Just received direct deposit of my first "pension" check; wow what a feeling! It's a mixture of glee, gratitude, relief, disbelief, and little giddiness. It's not enough to live on but, it's way more than beer money. Most of all, it's simply amazing to see it there...actually deposited in my account.
Congratulations. I received my first pension check a few months ago. I still smile when I get the deposit notices in the mail.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Strange, I haven't seen much activity on this thread in the last couple of weeks
Old 08-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #643
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Strange, I haven't seen much activity on this thread in the last couple of weeks
That's because the title says "milestones" not "millstones"...
Old 08-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #644

Quote:
I'll just get to repeat my post from 6/30.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #645

I will have to keep this thread on the follow list as a contrary indicator.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #646

According to my calculations I have 25 days of work left.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #647

Quote:
DLDS and I were out spending investing our first pension checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Just received direct deposit of my first "pension" check; wow what a feeling! It's a mixture of glee, gratitude, relief, disbelief, and a little giddiness. It's not enough to live on but, it's way more than beer money. Most of all, it's simply amazing to see it there...actually deposited in my account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Congratulations. I received my first pension check a few months ago. I still smile when I get the deposit notices in the mail.
But, we're back now, ready to report on further milestones.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #648
Recycles dryer sheets

So close, so dang close.

I was all set to post a couple of weeks ago. After many years of frugality we were only 3K away from a major milestone. Sooooo temptingly close. We even had the champagne chilled and ready to go. But alas, it was not to be. The market decided to first tease us then retreat.

So close....so close.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #649
Dryer sheet aficionado

Havent posted in a yr but a couple of milestones hit since then. I deployed for 7 months last yr and crossed the $100k milestone shortly after leaving the country. While deployed, I was hired into a federal job that I had been pursuing for years. Been working the gig since Oct. Wife and I had our first born son (deployment baby hehe). Crossed the $150k milestone this year. Seemed like it took a long time to cross this one.

I guess next milestone is $200k. Im 33 now and the goal is to jump out the rat race whe we have $400k saved and to be debt free by the age of 39-41. We want to live off of savings and part time work for 18-20 yrs until pensions start to kick in at 57yrs of age.Funny thing is that DW told me that I was talking in my sleep to someone about retiring early lol. Guess I am ready to ER now.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #650
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmob View Post
Havent posted in a yr but a couple of milestones hit since then. I deployed for 7 months last yr and crossed the $100k milestone shortly after leaving the country. While deployed, I was hired into a federal job that I had been pursuing for years. Been working the gig since Oct. Wife and I had our first born son (deployment baby hehe). Crossed the $150k milestone this year. Seemed like it took a long time to cross this one.

I guess next milestone is $200k. Im 33 now and the goal is to jump out the rat race whe we have $400k saved and to be debt free by the age of 39-41. We want to live off of savings and part time work for 18-20 yrs until pensions start to kick in at 57yrs of age.Funny thing is that DW told me that I was talking in my sleep to someone about retiring early lol. Guess I am ready to ER now.
Congratulation on your baby. If the ACA had been around earlier for health insurance, I think DH and I each working half time would have been a great lifestyle choice, especially while the kids were younger. A lot of our second income went to taxes, commute costs, prepared meals and outsourcing our lives because of a lack of free time.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #651
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree View Post
So close, so dang close.

I was all set to post a couple of weeks ago. After many years of frugality we were only 3K away from a major milestone. Sooooo temptingly close. We even had the champagne chilled and ready to go. But alas, it was not to be. The market decided to first tease us then retreat.

So close....so close.
Oh yeah, I know the feeling. My Roth IRA was closer to $100k than the money in my wallet at the time, but never did cross the mark. If not later this year, then certainly next January.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #652
Recycles dryer sheets

I crossed a lot of milestones this year. Paid off our home in January. Paid cash for our condo in Florida in March. Passed the 1 million in savings...$1,289.76 to be exact. Replaced my 2002 E320 with a new C300 Sport...paid cash. No debt. Just expenses that need to be reeled in a bit. Wife and I are 59. Seeing some of these milestones...I feel poor!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
I crossed a lot of milestones this year. Paid off our home in January. Paid cash for our condo in Florida in March. Passed the 1 million in savings...$1,289.76 to be exact. Replaced my 2002 E320 with a new C300 Sport...paid cash. No debt. Just expenses that need to be reeled in a bit. Wife and I are 59. Seeing some of these milestones...I feel poor!
I hate to break it to you but, you're a thousandaire, not a millionaire.

Does this mean you have to go back to work.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #654
Give me a forum ...

A post RE milestone: after 1.5 years of ER I was ready to cancel my professional license. I also deleted my LinkedIn profile.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #655

I probably shouldn't jinx it by saying this, but today could be the day I become a Millionaire! As of Friday's market close, my investable assets came in at about $997,860.

The market's doing great so far today, so let's hope I didn't just put a curse on it...
Old 08-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #656
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not a financial milestone, but today was the day I chose to clean out the office. Just 5 more days until the end. Not very much is going home - I think that is a good thing.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #657

Well, no jinx, at least not yesterday. I came in at $1,005,681. So, I finally broke the $1M barrier. And, I'm sure I'll break it again, several more times in each direction!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Well, no jinx, at least not yesterday. I came in at $1,005,681. So, I finally broke the $1M barrier. And, I'm sure I'll break it again, several more times in each direction!
Congratulations! Onward march to $2,000,000 in five years.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Back in 2010 I broke the $1M mark for the first time. Then the market tanked during he summer but it rebounded by the end of the year. You may have a bumpy ride, too, before you get enough above the $1M mark so that even some downturns keep you above it. That's when you will know you in the $1M club for good.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 08-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #660

Thanks, guys! And yep, Scrabbler1, I remember that summer downturn in 2010 well. I had broken the $500K barrier earlier in the year, but it didn't take long for it to drop back down to around $458K. It got me a little worried, because I was afraid we were going to crash again, what with the Great Recession still so fresh. But, by September, I think, I was back over $500K, and managed to hit $600K by the end of the year. And while I fell back below $600K, twice I believe, I never did cross back below $500K.

Now that I think back on it, I believe I crossed each one of those $100K barriers at least once, both ways. With the exception, perhaps, of the $200K barrier. That one was helped though, when I sold my condo and invested the proceeds, so $200K was crossed and never looked back upon.

I remember awhile back, mentioning how, the closer I got to $1M, the less of a big deal it seemed. But, I must confess, even though I may only have fifteen minutes of fame before it drops back down, it does feel pretty darn good!
Closed Thread