Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #661
Confused about dryer sheets

Hit $1.3 million invested today. The last 300k came in a little less than year. Hope it keeps it up maybe I can move my date up a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #662
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Well, no jinx, at least not yesterday. I came in at $1,005,681. So, I finally broke the $1M barrier. And, I'm sure I'll break it again, several more times in each direction!
That is awesome Andre!I am a little jealous,but way more happy for you than anything.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #663
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
That is awesome Andre!I am a little jealous,but way more happy for you than anything.
Thanks! The feeling still hasn't fully sunk in, like it's not real. I think it'll feel more "real" if I'm still over the $1M mark by August 31, because then the milestone will be preserved in my Excel spreadsheet that tracks growth.

My next real milestone, I guess, is the $2M mark. My goal is to retire when I hit $2M or age 50, or whichever comes first. $2M is a ways off though, so for the time being maybe I'll just concentrate on $1.1M as the next goalpost!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #664
Recycles dryer sheets

Share your FIRE Milestones

Taxable trading account closed above $4MM for the very first time today. The previous major threshold of $3MM was breached on 14 October, 2013 - so a decent 10 month run.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #665
Recycles dryer sheets

Whoa! No way I can compare with those ## s but I'm banking all this paycheck and no longer dreading the office closing / getting laid off. It's different when you're single. Just me supporting me + dtr / her 4 kids. At least son is successfully launched

Over 10x age in stocks, 110% of monthly needs in non-payment income

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #666
Recycles dryer sheets

Just wondering: I don't count property (physical assets / coin collection) just liquid assets. Should I count both?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Just wondering: I don't count property (physical assets / coin collection) just liquid assets. Should I count both?
This has been a topic of debate for some time now. Personally, I just include investible assets (stocks, mutual funds, IRAs, 401ks, checking/savings, savings bonds, etc). Trying to factor in the value of the house, cars, and other stuff just seems messy. And while yes, a house, car, furniture, etc, does have some value, it's not something you can quickly sell to tap that value. And, if you sell your house, well, you still gotta live somewhere. So you're either going to buy another house or rent, so there's still going to be some cost involved to offset the cash infusion from selling. Sell your car, and you're either going to buy another, depend on public transportation, or bum rides off of people, so it's sort of the same situation.

Now, if you're downsizing, say, selling a second home, extra car, etc, that might be different. But still, I'm not going to count on that value until it's been cashed in, and in my account.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #668
Recycles dryer sheets

And that's why I don't count them

Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #669
Dryer sheet wannabe

my net worth has increased just over 1 million through real estate since i retired in 2009 but i did inherit close to 200K and just bought another rental with it in february. in 2009 i took the plunge and went all in with 300K, it bought me 5 single family homes for around 75K each(financing 2 of them), now the homes are in the low $200's. the best thing is i have not paid any income tax for the past several years because of the mortgage and auto write offs, my rentals are 70 miles away @ .555 per mile, a write down of $77 per trip and i go often like the time i forgot my wallet
Old 08-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #670

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post
Taxable trading account closed above $4MM for the very first time today. The previous major threshold of $3MM was breached on 14 October, 2013 - so a decent 10 month run.

You are a high roller I don't think many people have taxable accounts on that level.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #671
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree View Post
So close, so dang close.

I was all set to post a couple of weeks ago. After many years of frugality we were only 3K away from a major milestone. Sooooo temptingly close. We even had the champagne chilled and ready to go. But alas, it was not to be. The market decided to first tease us then retreat.

So close....so close.
Ding Ding Ding!!!

After years and years of LBYM and saving we finally made the two comma club!!

I know that we will tetter-totter back and forth several times and there may be times that we slip below that mark and stay there for years.

Still, it feels pretty good today!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #672
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats on becoming a millionaire!!! How much longer you plan to w@rk?

I just received my military credit from HR for leave purposes. Since Im a federal employee, the credit is greatly needed b/c I need a vacation......

I did receive a bit more federal credit that I initially thought. Looks like Im still on track to semi ER at 39. I plan on jumping ship when im 39 regardless of if Im ready or not lol.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #673
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! If everything goes according to plans, i'm planning on a dual retirement in the summer of 2015.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #674
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats to everyone, I loved reading this thread! I'm flirting with 800K and can't wait to join the two comma club!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
You are a high roller I don't think many people have taxable accounts on that level.
Statistically speaking, most people don't have accounts 1/10 that amount. 400k puts you in the top 10%.

Wealthometer: USA

$4M is quite an accomplishment, indeed!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #676
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post

wow. Is all that investment gain? If so, 33% gain in 10 months is quite a run. Do you have a secret you can share?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #677
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
wow. Is all that investment gain? If so, 33% gain in 10 months is quite a run. Do you have a secret you can share?

Actually more than the $1MM is investments as I pulled out a big chunk to pay capital gain taxes. I just had some good stock picks, ran a modest margin balance, and got lucky - AAPL, APC, CXO, V.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #678
Recycles dryer sheets

Started the descent today...gave notice to landlord of second "home" this morning. This Monday is our final Monday before giving notice to our companies next Tuesday (after the Labor Day holiday).
While everything is falling into place, DH is still questioning if we have enough. After explaining it MANY times and MANY different ways, I have boiled down my response to, "If we can't live on $2M of retirement funds, $18K of annual rental income, established HELOC, over .5M of real estate (if sold and down sized) and future SS, we deserve to live under a bridge." I think he might actually be able to understand that. This is all getting pretty exciting. Can't wait to join the ER group.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat View Post
Started the descent today...gave notice to landlord of second "home" this morning. This Monday is our final Monday before giving notice to our companies next Tuesday (after the Labor Day holiday).
While everything is falling into place, DH is still questioning if we have enough. After explaining it MANY times and MANY different ways, I have boiled down my response to, "If we can't live on $2M of retirement funds, $18K of annual rental income, established HELOC, over .5M of real estate (if sold and down sized) and future SS, we deserve to live under a bridge." I think he might actually be able to understand that. This is all getting pretty exciting. Can't wait to join the ER group.
How exciting! Smart thinking on the bridge comment.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #680
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat View Post
While everything is falling into place, DH is still questioning if we have enough. After explaining it MANY times and MANY different ways, I have boiled down my response to, "If we can't live on $2M of retirement funds, $18K of annual rental income, established HELOC, over .5M of real estate (if sold and down sized) and future SS, we deserve to live under a bridge."
Well said! About 95% of the people I know would envy your situation. Retire and have some fun.