Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #741
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hit a major milestone - saved (over) 100,000 this year between my wife and myself. 20 cash, the rest roth & 401k. Set a big goal in January to get my expenses way down and hit this. Honestly 80 was my goal, 100 my "stretch" goal. Nailed it with 2 months to go!

Was hoping to get lucky and hit 500K total egg this year, probably won't reach it until after the market bounces back fully. I'm hoping to keep my savings rate consistent, and should be able to get 500 during Q1, short of a meltdown.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #742
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bird In Hand View Post
We (barely!) crossed $900k in investments and savings yesterday for the first time. Some looming expenses this summer mean we're all but guaranteed to go below that threshold soon, but hopefully that will be the last time we cross it going the wrong direction!
We crossed the same threshold again late last week. I hadn't checked our balances in a while, and I had the misfortune to check them right at the bottom of the recent downturn. Scary! On the bright side, I got to watch the bounceback on a daily basis all last week. Fun! Now we're back to where we were four months ago, but with another $9k paid off on the mortgage.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #743
Recycles dryer sheets

Crossed a milestone fwds and backwards 3 times this week. Brcd, UYG, and FFIV were the reasons why.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-31-2014, 06:05 AM   #744
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, as of last night I re-joined the Millionaire's Club. Barely. $1,001,220. I had first popped that milestone back in August, topping out around $1,016,000, but the portfolio took a bit of a rogering in September and the earlier part of this month.

Anyway, yay! It's a milestone I'm sure I'm going to hit several more times, in each direction!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:50 AM   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Well, as of last night I re-joined the Millionaire's Club. Barely. $1,001,220. I had first popped that milestone back in August, topping out around $1,016,000, but the portfolio took a bit of a rogering in September and the earlier part of this month.

Anyway, yay! It's a milestone I'm sure I'm going to hit several more times, in each direction!
Excellent!

This will allow you to one day tell your grandchildren that you've "been a millionaire several times over."
Old 10-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #746

Think I have mentioned this before:
Countries where you're a Millionaire

I'm a two-comma-member in 170 countries!

Only 61 to go. You need roughly $2.8M for that, silly Bahraini dinar. Euro-millionaire is the biggest hurdle though (roughly 1.26M usd right now).
Old 11-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #747
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well, as of last night I re-joined the Millionaire's Club.
Congrats! We're not there yet, but as of yesterday's close we're above $700,000.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #748
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats to all the folks that make it to the millionaire club!

This month is the first time ever that we cross the half million mark. Is there a half millionaire club?

It will take us many more years before we will join the M-Club.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #749
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmo1969 View Post
Crossed a milestone fwds and backwards 3 times this week. Brcd, UYG, and FFIV were the reasons why.
By my way of thinking, as long as you are following an asset-building plan in a consistent way, once you hit a milestone, you shouldn't feel bad about the market drop that will sometimes knock you back below the milestone. Celebrate hitting the goal, and don't focus on the slide backward. Just persist. After a while, you will hit what a lot of smart folks on this site call "critical mass" -- when your portfolio earnings far outstrip what you are contributing from your earnings. It will happen! Just persist, and in the interim, celebrate the milestones and don't lament the slide backward. Keep on
Old 11-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #750
Recycles dryer sheets

My NW crossed $600k for the first time

Five years ago when I started tracking, it was only $108k. I hope I can keep this accumulation rate up for a few more years.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #751

Congratulations guys, on your milestones. I'd say $500K, $600K, and $700K are all very significant, as well. And once you get to those levels, $1M might come easier than you think, because of the aforementioned "critical mass" or whatever you want to call it.

FWIW, here are the dates that I first hit a few of those milestones...
$500K: October 2009
$600K: November 2010
$700K: February 2012
$800K: January 2013
$900K: November 2013
$1M: August 2014 (the first time)
$1M: October 2014 (the second time)

Also, I don't know if any of this other data is really useful, but...
1) Once I broke $500K, I only dipped below it once, for two months, in June/July 2010.
2) Once I broke $600K, I only dipped below it once, for two months, in Aug/Sept 2011.
3) Once I topped $700K, I only had one month below it, May 2012.
4) After breaking $800K, I dropped below it twice. February and June of 2013. Also, once I popped the $800K barrier, I started paying down my mortgage. If I hadn't done that, I don't think I would have ever dipped back below $800K
5) After breaking $900K, I have yet to dip back below it. And I hope to keep it that way, until I'm well into my old age, and it's only as a result of spending it down in the waning years of my life...
Old 11-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #752
Recycles dryer sheets

Always cool seeing other peoples data points, thanks.

From $500k to $1M in 5 years is fast IMO, kudos.

I think I could potentially hit $1M four years from now, but of course you never know what might happen. That's the goal though!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #753

Thanks. One thing that probably helped me hit $1M so quickly though, was coming off of the recession. 2010, 2012, and 2013 were great years. 2011 was flat, for me, at least, and I think I actually lost about $1,000 over the year.

Plus, the higher up you get, compounding really does work its magic. For instance, so far in 2014 I'm only up about 5.8%, factoring in additional investments. But, that's still about $55,000.

I really do wonder if the market can keep up this kind of momentum. I think it will be difficult. But, on the other hand, I keep hearing about how this has been a jobless recovery so far, but now things are finally starting to truly improve. So that has me wondering...if the market has done as well during the "jobless recovery" phase, what is it capable of during a "real" recovery!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #754

Andre1969, you got to $1M a lot faster than you predicted in a thread I began in 2010 as I was approaching the $1M mark and the bumpy road to subsequent $100k increments.

Here is the thread:
Approaching a Milestone.....

In post #66, you predicted 2016. Glad you beat that by 2 years.

In 2010, I bounced up and down over and under the $1M mark, nearly falling below it in 2011. I have hit the next $100k level in each year since then, $1.1M in 2012, $1.2M in 2013, and $1.3M in 2014. It's a lot easier to grow by $100k when you are over $1M already, as I was adding $100k about once a year when I was working but that was on a lower base and included the exploding company stock value.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Cumulative returns greater than cumulative contributions
Old 11-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #755
Recycles dryer sheets

Cumulative returns greater than cumulative contributions

I went over our accounts and did some analysis of sources of our current accounts and discovered that during this year our cumulative returns have surpassed our cumulative contributions. More than 50% of the money in our accounts come from returns on investments vs. piling money in.

Still hoping to hit $1MM when I am 40, hovering around $.92MM right now.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #756

Thanks for that little flashback, Scrabbler. My next goal, although this one is a bit more of a pipe dream, is to hit $2M by my 50th birthday, which is April 2020. Doing the math, I figure if I average roughly 11.5%, plus my contributions, I'll make it. But, I think 11.5% is a bit optimistic.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #757

Quote:
Thanks for that little flashback, Scrabbler. My next goal, although this one is a bit more of a pipe dream, is to hit $2M by my 50th birthday, which is April 2020. Doing the math, I figure if I average roughly 11.5%, plus my contributions, I'll make it. But, I think 11.5% is a bit optimistic.
Andre-

An outstanding goal!

I was in a similar situation several years ago (I'm a bit older than you). I'd read an article describing how one could "guarantee" XX% annual returns if one made the commitment to make up any shortfall with additional contributions (I needed 12%/yr for 6 yrs to hit my FIRE number). This is a tough commitment to make so, I ran the numbers, determined it was feasible, and made the commitment to do it.

Fast forward to the end of the story, and I made it; I FIREd earlier this year (actually semi-FIREd because I want to work part time for a couple years but, don't have to work for the income). My goal was 6 yrs of >=12% annual returns. The timeframe tells you that 2008/9 was right in the middle of it. Our NW took a big hit during that period, taking us from being slightly "above" the 12% annual return line to being substantially "below" it. So, we sucked it up and socked away every extra $$$ we could for several years to make up the difference. Some very good bonuses helped---a lot. By 2012, we were back "above" the line, and above the FIRE number.

Of course, there are a lot of other factors that make a difference (AA, not panic selling, etc.) but, the biggest factor for us was sticking to the commitment. Sometimes, brute force is very effective.

Just food for thought.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #758
Recycles dryer sheets

Always said I was done @ 50. Kinda snuck up on me @45 when I was let go yr 1/2 ago. Advice from this forum and going over every calculator and SS I could find to see if I could stay done, I'M DONE! Thought it but hadn't said it until this week end. Still need to get my investments going. Also not sure what retirement actually means because I still have several big projects to get done. Now if I can only get that warm fuzzy feeling that it's ok to spend. I have not been fishing in about 15yrs!!!

Hyper
Old 11-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Always said I was done @ 50. Kinda snuck up on me @45 when I was let go yr 1/2 ago. Advice from this forum and going over every calculator and SS I could find to see if I could stay done, I'M DONE! Thought it but hadn't said it until this week end. Still need to get my investments going. Also not sure what retirement actually means because I still have several big projects to get done. Now if I can only get that warm fuzzy feeling that it's ok to spend. I have not been fishing in about 15yrs!!!

Hyper
Congrats on the decision! It takes a lot of courage to navigate through such circumstances and make thoughtful, data informed decisions - good on ya!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #760
Recycles dryer sheets

My investable assets are at a solid $333k. Not a round number, but a nice, clean fraction. I also figure this is about 1/5 of what I'll need to FIRE. I'm proud of myself and my ongoing discipline to not buy a bunch of man-toys that would just end up collecting dust in the garage. Stay the course!