Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #841
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just crossed 1.3mm investable 401k/Roth/taxable. FI is right around the corner and on paper could RE at 42(38 now) but will ramp up after tax savings to get a comfortable bridge before tapping into tax advantaged. Target age is 48.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #842
Recycles dryer sheets

A different milestone that I was excited to reach...
I added up all my earnings from 43 years of work (from my social security statement), and I have crossed that total. So I have everything I ever earned. For some reason that made more of an impression than crossing a specific figure.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #843
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenK View Post
A different milestone that I was excited to reach...
I added up all my earnings from 43 years of work (from my social security statement), and I have crossed that total. So I have everything I ever earned. For some reason that made more of an impression than crossing a specific figure.
Now, go back and do it adjusted for inflation FWIW, I just ran the calculation myself (not adjusted for inflation). Not quite there yet, but closing in...maybe an 11% difference between the two.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #844

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydavey View Post
Hit $100k invested assets yesterday. Chump change compared to many here, but I'm 26 and have only been working for 3.75 years.
As others have said 100k is not chump change at all. For alot of investors 100k is very difficult to reach. It was for me. The good news is reaching the 200k level comes much, much faster. It seems to me you have plenty of cash to help things along. You are doing wonderful.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
Old 02-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #845
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wednesday's close bumped us over $3.1mm total investments for the first time. Kind of fun to look back and see how often the total has doubled in value. It has taken 36-39 months for our portfolio to double from 1 to 2, 1.1 to 2.2, 1.2 to 2.4, 1.3 to 2.6.

It was 37 months for it to double from 1.55 to yesterday's 3.1 close. If this continues, we'll be joining a Class of __ very soon!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #846
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Retire44. Very impressive. Does it make you want to pull the plug any earlier?
Old 02-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #847
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeRetired View Post
Congrats Retire44. Very impressive. Does it make you want to pull the plug any earlier?
Our goal has been 2018, when our youngest will head to college, because we can't really do much else while he is in high school.

If all goes well between now and 2018, we would like to start the next chapter of our lives and live 7 months of the year at a lake home (we've bought the land), greatly reduce my business to the other 5 months when we are back at home (enough to cover our expenses and not tap savings for a couple years) and wife would leave her job and work for/with me during those other few months.

We'll be about 45 at that time. We have a paid for home, no debt and the flexibility to continue working if we need to, if our portfolio is not where it needs to be in 2018.

Back to your question, heck yes it makes me want to pull the plug earlier, but we have some goals and we'll keep saving as much as possible until we get to that window of time when we have the flexibility to do what we want!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #848
Recycles dryer sheets

Per Zillow, as of today the worth of my paid-off SoCal house now exceeds the peak it attained in Sept 2007 before the RE crash.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #849

My 403b exceeded 1 million yesterday for the first time! That's 25 years of savings, as long as I've been at my university. And I hardly saved anything for the first 5 or so years although my employer put in some.

All told I now have approximately 1.9 million investable assets. I'm single with no dependents and no need to leave anything to anyone. I suppose I could retire now at 58 but I actually love my job (can I say that here?) and will probably work for some years to come.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #850
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally hit the 3M mark with a decent close on Friday and two paychecks. I doubt it will stay there for long, but it was pretty fun to finally see that number. We are in the OMM to OMY mode.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #851

Just updated the spreadsheet:
- 1.6M in NW.
- 1.35M in investable funds and rental property equity.
- 1.05M not counting any real estate.

Retirement pay will kick in during 2017.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #852

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanurse View Post
Funny this came up, last week we reached $100k.

I was just thinking of what my next milestone is. Maybe $250k.

What's funny is that as we accumulate, I keep thinking its just not that much. When I started saving I remember thinking, "man, if I had 100k. Wow... ". Back then it seemed like a lot.

I wonder if when we reach $1M... will it also be "not enough" in my mind. Anyway didn't mean to hijack the topic, so back to it...

$100k. Woohoo
Yes. When I reached 100k for good in October 2011 it seemed like 250k would be alot. As I get closer to 250k it just does not seem like that much. I am thinking 500k would give me much more comfort and obviously alot more compounding power.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
Old 02-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #853

Joined the two comma club today! I was shooting for before 40, but I ended up just about three months behind. But I am sure I will leave it and come back several times...
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #854
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by molof View Post
Joined the two comma club today! I was shooting for before 40, but I ended up just about three months behind. But I am sure I will leave it and come back several times...
Did the same here a few months ago. Yes, I've seen it swing back and forth across that two comma line several times since then. Probably will do that off and on for a few awhile.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #855
Dryer sheet wannabe

12/27/14 net worth crossed the 1 million mark for the first time ever. I'm 38 and two years ahead of schedule. Fingers cross!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #856
Dryer sheet wannabe

Two comma club, ha...it's obvious I don't know the lingo around here. Love it. Thanks for all the knowledge so far

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FIRE Relocation Milestone
Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #857

FIRE Relocation Milestone

DW, Fur Child, and I relocated to the Bay Area as planned. After lots of planning and preparation, and running from bad weather the past few weeks, we are finally here.

image.jpg

Now it's just a matter of unpacking all the boxes, figuring out where to put everything, then remembering where we put it.

We are very excited to be here back though; been gone ~17 yrs and will now be able to spend lots more time with some close friends, exploring old haunts, and finding new ones.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #858
Recycles dryer sheets

Passive income crossed $175K per year (taxable accounts) for the first time. When I stopped working (10 years in July) my passive income was $108,245 per year and I decided it was time to punch out since I can have a comfortable life on $4500 per month or less and saw no reason to work just to reach the magical retirement age.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #859
Recycles dryer sheets

Today we crossed $3M in investable assets; almost exactly $2M in stock funds and $1M in bond funds.

A little over 57; planning to retire in 32 months with goal of $3.5M. Aiming for $2M stocks, $1.3M bonds, and $200K cash.

Marc
Old 03-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
DW, Fur Child, and I relocated to the Bay Area as planned. After lots of planning and preparation, and running from bad weather the past few weeks, we are finally here.

Attachment 21216

Now it's just a matter of unpacking all the boxes, figuring out where to put everything, then remembering where we put it.

We are very excited to be here back though; been gone ~17 yrs and will now be able to spend lots more time with some close friends, exploring old haunts, and finding new ones.

Congratulations on your wished-for relocation!
Closed Thread