Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and I hit some milestones recently.

Broke $250k investable / cash via:

$173k 401k
$70k cash account (checking/saving/cd)
$14500 Roth accounts
$4500 529 plan

01 June mortgage dropped below 100k on 350k market value.

Much thanks to this forum, we are well on our way.

Last edited:
As of Friday's close, I finally popped the $1.1M barrier in investable assets. I know I should be ecstatic about it, but my attitude is a bit "meh". I think part of the problem is that the market has been going sideways for about two years now, so instead of being happy about it, my attitude is more along the lines of "well, it's about time!".

Looking at my records, it took me 17 months to get from $1M to $1.1M, 14 months to get from $900K to $1M, and only 8 months to get from $800K to $900K. I guess those few years bouncing back from the Great Recession spoiled me a bit! :D Anyway, hopefully $1.2M comes along pretty quickly!

As of Friday's close, I finally popped the $1.1M barrier in investable assets. I know I should be ecstatic about it, but my attitude is a bit "meh". I think part of the problem is that the market has been going sideways for about two years now, so instead of being happy about it, my attitude is more along the lines of "well, it's about time!".

Looking at my records, it took me 17 months to get from $1M to $1.1M, 14 months to get from $900K to $1M, and only 8 months to get from $800K to $900K. I guess those few years bouncing back from the Great Recession spoiled me a bit! :D Anyway, hopefully $1.2M comes along pretty quickly!

I tend to "meh" around these incremental "milestones" as well. Either that or sometimes I get a fleeting sense of success that is quickly replaced by "meh."

For me, the only cure is to take a longer view. In your case, for example, it looks a lot better to say that in just about 3 years (39 months) you went from $800k to $1.1M. That's a 37.5% increase, which is damn respectable.

In the end, the "get rich slowly" path is plodding and deliberate. It seems like a long road, because it is. So... Stay the course!

Last megacorp paycheck

I will receive my final big pharma megacorp paycheck this coming Friday, not counting the severance payment that I deferred. After 23 years with the company that counts as a milestone in my book.

I joined the site and posted in this thread August last year since we finally had reached the $1.0 million mark in cash assets, with $80K after tax. Since then I've just been lurking.

Now we are well over $1.1 million with $175K after tax. And the megacorp owes me a severance check for $170K Jan next year. And they will provide very good retiree medical benefits for both of us for just a few thou a year. We only owe $40K on our home which was just appraised for $350K, and we have no other debts. We live in the SE where cost of living is low, in a state that is very retiree-friendly when it comes to taxes.

All that is the good news. Now for the bad news... I am only 56 and according to FIRECalc and other models I will need more $$ to maintain our lifestyle before SS kicks in. I figure about 50% of my megacorp income for 3-4 years should do it. So I am evaluating options. But, after not working for a couple of months now, one thing I don't want to do ever again is be a megacorp executive. My blood pressure magically dropped to healthy-normal when I walked out the door :)

Finally hit that 2-comma milestone earlier this year. Not sure what I expected but I thought I'd feel different. I guess I let out a little "woo hoo" and then jumped on my bike and went to the gym...and life just went on. The real change had come long ago when I realized what a dollar was worth in my pocket and stopped squandering them. So, I guess my real WOO HOO!!! moment was back when I really didn't have a comma to my name.

After what seems like a slow trudge, I have now hit the $900,000 mark. I'm 42 now, hopefully will hit the two comma club sometime in my 43rd year.

Sent from my XT1031 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

80 years of a happy life
57 years of marriage to my bride
27 years of retirement

Started tossing wool pants that require cleaning, that I won't be needing in a couple years. Will keep a few suits for personal events. Just as gratifying as comma milestones for me

Found a replacement for Nespresso capsules. That will save us about $600 a year. More to spend on wine. :LOL::dance:

Quicken posted second comma on the bottom of the screen today for the first time ever :blush:

We just hit $300,243 in taxable and retirement accounts! Have another $95k in home equity. Couldn't be more proud to share this!

Occupation: Army officer - 10 years to go for my retirement - so still a long way.

We just hit $300,243 in taxable and retirement accounts! Have another $95k in home equity. Couldn't be more proud to share this!

Occupation: Army officer - 10 years to go for my retirement - so still a long way.

That is awesome for such a young man. I am retired E9 in my mid 50s and we have about 600k. You are on your way. Congrats 😀

That is awesome for such a young man. I am retired E9 in my mid 50s and we have about 600k. You are on your way. Congrats 😀

Thanks for your service and thank you! Hoping to be like you one day! Been a MAJ for 2 1/2 years, hoping to be a LTC within the next 4, then ride it out till I have 20 active.

Thanks for your service and thank you! Hoping to be like you one day! Been a MAJ for 2 1/2 years, hoping to be a LTC within the next 4, then ride it out till I have 20 active.

You will for sure. Just stay focused. BTW I work with several Marine LTC AND COL active and retired swell much of guys. They love to hear from this old retired Command Master Chief 😀 Take care and good luck on your promotions. BTW stay in as long as you can, your salary is far better than most get out here

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

2.0M

Just updated balances for the month to discover that DW and I are multimillionaires by a whole $1,600 over the 2.0M mark (all in, including home equity). Seems funny typing that out, nothing feels different and we still have a very long time to go before FIRE due to our life circumstances. That said, it's fun to see the snowball pick up some speed. Unfortunately, I doubt the markets will stay at this level for long so I'm guessing this will be short lived.

I wrote post number 313 on this thread back on December 29, 2013 to memorialize us hitting 1.5M. We were both 36 then, and we're 39 (DW is 38) now. The intervening years have been a grind at work, frankly I'd prefer to have those three years back.

To everyone out there with their eye on the FIRE prize, no matter where you are in the process keep up the good work!

Share your FIRE Milestones

1.25 investable; no debt except $289K mortgage; saving $7,500/month; hope to pay off house and FIRE in 6 years at 56. Seems a long road to work except life goes pretty quickly and so much more of it is behind us now. :)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just hit the $4MM investable assets mark (2/3 of this number outside tax deferred accounts). $550k house no mortgage. DW can pull $32k/yr non-cola pension immediately. Will be 53 at end of 2016.....lots of decisions to make.

Just hit the $4MM investable assets mark (2/3 of this number outside tax deferred accounts). $550k house no mortgage. DW can pull $32k/yr non-cola pension immediately. Will be 53 at end of 2016.....lots of decisions to make.

Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One year of semi-retirement completed (as of yesterday), networth is up 100k, and we're loving Reno, where we relocated from Texas. We've only got two sections left to complete the Tahoe Rim Trail this summer!
Working part-time online from home is working out well--I feel retired but with something to keep me from complete sloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom