Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #941
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaitanylonger View Post
Thanks. Four years ago, I took out a ten year mortgage and vowed to pay it off in five years. I beat that by a year but it was really a struggle. It is such a relief. I really cant share this with friends. I feel like I am bragging. One friend I did tell thinks I got the money from my parents. Trust me, that didn't happen. This is the only place that I can share my small victory.
We're a friendly bunch. You've just shared the victory with your online friends. I know it's not the same, but congratulations anyway.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaitanylonger View Post
........This is the only place that I can share my small victory.
That's not a small victory, paying off a 10 year mortgage that fast. Congrats!
I could see a handyman business if your good dealing with the public. This is a service that is more in demand with the aging of the population. Lawn care is too seasonal and competitive. Everybody with a lawn mower is in the business and then you need work for the winter months.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #943
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
We're a friendly bunch. You've just shared the victory with your online friends. I know it's not the same, but congratulations anyway.
Congrats! Something to celebrate!
Old 07-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #944
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTim View Post
Crossed liquid NW of $4MM this AM

I know with market moves it will go back down/fluctuate .. but it was a happy morning checking my trading screens today. Even DW said she was impressed.

Been a long time coming and getting closer to the finish line.
Just a brief, positive update to this one ...

Courtesy of some smart trading and a company sale proceeds windfall, we crossed over $6MM today.

Happy to be FIREd as of July 3, and although I know it will bump up and down around the number as we start to spend it, it's a big comfort to me and DW, for sure.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #945
Recycles dryer sheets

Ready To Take The Leap

Feel like this is Dave Ramsey's radio program to yell "I"m Debt Free!". Turning 60 next month. I will take a month off then go part time for a year. Paid off the new house, bought a new car with cash and completely debt free. Have $2.0mm in investments plus wife has $28k/yr pension. Will have two SS incomes. Have run every retirement calculator known to man. Will try and wait on my SS until 66 +2 mths but if we get a substantial market downturn I'll file early for it so portfolio can make it back over time.

I am very excited. I enjoy reading all the positive comments and how excited people are. Look forward to plowing through many of the forums. Spending my last weeks not thinking about work.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #946
Recycles dryer sheets

Bir48
I love Dave Ramsey that's why I am here baby step 6 investing close to la Casa being paid off 53 and debt free. Same wife with pension and saving my rear end off. Hope to have a value over 1.8 in next few years

Congrats. 😊. And enjoy your hard work

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-25-2015, 12:03 AM   #947
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post

I agree, congrats. I understand the hard work to make that happen

Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #948
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Actually, looking back, hitting a net worth of zero was one of the happiest milestones of my life!
Oh yea, I remember having saved a whopping $400 and being so proud, ignoring my debt. Then I woke up! Thank god! I woke up and a major turn around in my finances and understanding. But always learning!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #949
Recycles dryer sheets

Final mortgage payment today, a great feeling to head towards retirement next year completely out of debt!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #950
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Final mortgage payment today, a great feeling to head towards retirement next year completely out of debt!
Congratulations! I dream of this day, but it'll be at least three more years for me. Assuming everything works out perfectly for the next 35 consecutive months.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:51 AM   #951

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
What a great feeling. I did something similar and it out a smile on my face to enter retirement debt free.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #952
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I've got a few more months to go before ER. I moved my large 401(k) from ex-corp to Vanguard and was elevated to Flagship status. The 401(k) had been invested at 70/30. I dropped my allocation to 60/32/8. The 8% is invested in a CD ladder for the next two years. I think that may be more than I'll need for the next two years but a lot will change soon and some in ways I cannot fully predict. There will be a small 403(b) to rollover in December but I'm feeling well prepared.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #953
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree, this is a great place to share your small victories when you have no one else to share them with. My family's philosophy is spend money you don't have &/or get something at someone else's expense, and their retirement plans are either win the lottery, work until they die, or mooch off someone else. My wonderful boyfriend has no interest at all in financial/retirement planning, and thus, does not get excited about milestones. Thank goodness we have similar lifestyle and saving philosophies.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #954
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
What a great feeling. I did something similar and it out a smile on my face to enter retirement debt free.
yes it is a great feeling
Old 08-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #955
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sons are both off to schools. House is paid for. Left work as an employee for the last time yesterday. I think I can say I'm FIREd now. Not as wealthy as some here but I think I'm a bit more self sufficient and certainly in a lower cost of living area. Hopefully the jitters will go away in a few months.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #956
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello long time follower, first post. DW and I just hit 700k investments. All mutual funds/Index funds. We are 32 no kids yet... Trying to fire in 10 years
Old 08-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #957

fire2025, Congratulations!
Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #958
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Sons are both off to schools. House is paid for. Left work as an employee for the last time yesterday. I think I can say I'm FIREd now. Not as wealthy as some here but I think I'm a bit more self sufficient and certainly in a lower cost of living area. Hopefully the jitters will go away in a few months.
congratulations on your retirement!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:19 AM   #959
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats Art! I'm at a week RE now. FI for longer but wasn't ready. Enjoy!

Old 08-07-2015, 01:24 AM   #960

Congrats, Art.... Now get to work on that workshop!