Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #1021
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats HadEnuff!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #1022
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW stopped working about 2 months ago. Her employer had been bought out for the second time, and the new policy was that she could not take unpaid time off for us to use my 6 weeks of vacation. We have been taking great trips around the US, Canada, and Europe for years. To say we had to stop was unacceptable to both of us, so she quit. She doesn't refer to it as retirement, but she doesn't want to get another job either.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #1023
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! You ran the early sequence of returns gauntlet and came through unscathed!
Old 12-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #1024
Confused about dryer sheets

Reached the FIRE mark. Will enjoy independance from 2016.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #1025
Dryer sheet aficionado

It is my annual practice to officially document net worth at the beginning of the year. Jan 1st results in us passing the $1M mark. A lot of self-satisfaction... very little fanfare.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #1026
Dryer sheet aficionado

Donated $25,000 to donor advised charitable fund at end of December - higher than my annual salary when I graduated from college. Bulking up donations before income drops with FIRE, in next 4 (or less) years. It was a good year for my W-2, but MegaCorp nonsense/stress took its toll. Best wishes to all in achieving your FIRE milestones in 2016!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #1027
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Reached the FIRE mark. Will enjoy independance from 2016.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Congrats! A nice milestone, indeed.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #1028
Recycles dryer sheets

Paid off our 2014 vehicle last week and today paid off the Home Depot credit card (replacement windows).
No outstanding debt other than our mortgage. Good way to start the new year. What a relief!
I'm really trying to make 2016 the "Year of Saving".
Old 01-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu007 View Post
Paid off our 2014 vehicle last week and today paid off the Home Depot credit card (replacement windows).
No outstanding debt other than our mortgage. Good way to start the new year. What a relief!
YAY! Good luck this year.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu007 View Post
Those are good milestones
Old 01-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #1031
Confused about dryer sheets

Reached FI (25x expenses) in 2015, about 9 years after my first "real doctor" paycheck.

I plan to continue making hay while the sun is shining. I'll re-evaluate my situation when my nest egg reaches 50x expenses. I will most likely RE in 5 to 10 years in my mid-to-late 40s.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #1032
Dryer sheet wannabe

As of today we've maxed out our 2015 tax advantage retirement space for the first time ever. We saved about 26% of gross(includes employer contributions) while having a second child.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #1033
gone traveling

Already fired ... But A milestone hit and its not exactly a good one.

Wednesday was the first time that I've seen a daily yes ...daily ....loss of 6 figures in the portfolio...

Perspective - That's something like twice the annual household income in the USA. Twice the annual ... Gone in a day.

Mumble mumble ...

I had a triple bourbon before dinner to celebrate that one. F$&@.

And to put some whipped cream and a cherry on top it's been a cool half a million gone since the market highs of may 2015. Blame Oil and international. And now everything .... Poof. Or more like kaboom.

Had a double bourbon after dinner too.

Perspective: First world problem, And I have my health. Life is still good.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #1034
Dryer sheet aficionado

pre-fire milestone. less than 100 days to go. started transitioning my responsibilities to others on Jan 1. getting less and less involved - feels good. also less and less to do
Old 01-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #1035

Papadad - I feel for you. This is one of the reasons I have 40% in bonds/cash... it dampens the drops (as well as the gains.)

No need to blame anything or anyone... we know the market has cycles, corrections, gyrations... but it does sting to see big drops.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #1036

OnTheBeach... what a great feeling to have the end in sight.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #1037
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post

Wednesday was the first time that I've seen a daily yes ...daily ....loss of 6 figures in the portfolio...

Perspective - That's something like twice the annual household income in the USA. Twice the annual ... Gone in a day.

Mumble mumble ...

I had a triple bourbon before dinner to celebrate that one. F$&@.

And to put some whipped cream and a cherry on top it's been a cool half a million gone since the market highs of may 2015. Blame Oil and international. And now everything .... Poof. Or more like kaboom.

You have any more bourbon double shots and you'll lose your health...and apparently a lot of money!

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $3.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #1038
Dryer sheet wannabe

My boss and I have been discussing my retirement for a few months now, and this week we agreed on a date: June 1, 2016. Megacorp is doing some re-organizing and they may be able to avoid laying off someone if I leave on that date. He said somehow "the numbers work out" that way. If it helps someone, why not?

I've been FI for a few years now, so the initial WR will be about 2.5%. That gives us a little bit of wiggle room if there's a big downturn.

Needless to say, DW and I are really excited and already have plans for the summer and beyond!

A huge thanks to the many contributors to this forum for your experiences and opinions that helped me make this decision!
Old 01-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #1039
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Pounder View Post
My boss and I have been discussing my retirement for a few months now, and this week we agreed on a date: June 1, 2016. Megacorp is doing some re-organizing and they may be able to avoid laying off someone if I leave on that date. He said somehow "the numbers work out" that way. If it helps someone, why not?

I've been FI for a few years now, so the initial WR will be about 2.5%. That gives us a little bit of wiggle room if there's a big downturn.

Needless to say, DW and I are really excited and already have plans for the summer and beyond!

A huge thanks to the many contributors to this forum for your experiences and opinions that helped me make this decision!
Serious congrats on the 2.5%...good work! Enjoy the bigR...you deserve it.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post

Mumble mumble ...

I had a triple bourbon before dinner to celebrate that one
. F$&@.

A couple more weeks like this one, and you'll have to transition from Pappy Van Winkle to Evan Williams.